The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

I want to get the collective opinion of officials and coaches on this forum.

As a Referee, one of the things I struggle with early in the season is remembering to cover the items I need to cover in pregame. So to prompt my memory, I have created a cheat sheet made from paper about half the size of a postcard and I glance down at that to make sure I talk to the coaches about everything I need to talk to them about. I don't hold the card up and read directly from it. I glance at it to make sure I have everything covered and I force myself to look the coach in the eyes when I listen for an answer.

I am being told by a fellow crew member that this sends an bad signal to the coaches.

What are your thoughts on working from a cheat sheet of pregame questions?
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Mike,

What if you and your umpire came up with a checklist for your pregame conference with your coaches. If you both knew the topics you wanted to cover he could point out anything that you omitted.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

I have a little vinyl cover (from The Referee's Call) with slip pockets inside it and I have a card in the left pocket that has a checklist at the top. I lay my game card on the checklist so the check items show right above it. It looks like I'm looking at my card but I can see the list right there. I don't see anything wrong with it especially early in the season when it's still a little foggy after a year off. I also keep an overtime cheat sheet in there just in case.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Mike, if you have to use a sheet, then go ahead and use it. But it does look better if you don't have to. Couldn't you give the sheet to your umpire so that he could discretely check that you covered everything?
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

I too have a cheat sheet on the vinyl sleeve that my cards are in. This way I just go down the list and quickly cover everything that I need to cover.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

I have used a laminated card for the past 10 years and have found it works well. Rather than appearing unprepared, I think it looks as if you have taken the time to make sure you are well prepared and everything is under control.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears

Our crew goes over the items we want to cover (in the meeting with coaches) in our pregame discussion. One of the crew will speak up if the R happens to miss an item. For example, one of the wings will actually demonstrate to the coach how we'll be communicating with his wide receivers regarding being on or off the line of scrimmage.

Old Mon Sep 12, 2005, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigRygg Send a message via AIM to BigRygg Send a message via Yahoo to BigRygg
Personally, when I coached, I'd rather know that the crew has gone over everything by the R having a list to read off of than to have something go forgotten about and have an issue come up because of it later.

I'm sure no card looks more professional, but my guess is that it'd be up to the individual coaches, etc as to how they perceive it.
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 03:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Nothing wrong with the card. I WH for the first time this season Friday night and sure as heck I forgot to get the Captains names/numbers in talking with the coaches.
In talking with the clock operator I forgot to mention the 3 min warm up. He had been doing it for a number of years so he had it covered.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 05:55am
Official Forum Member

I would never have a Cheat Sheet. But I do use a checklist.

I use it quite openly.

Instead of being a hindrance, I think it is a benefit in that the coach sees I'm going down a list and seems less likely to interrupt with, "Say, let me ask you about this call I had in a game the other day..."

(I do this in another sport. In football, I'm the umpire and don't have a written checklist.)
Old Tue Sep 13, 2005, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

I also have a laminated card that I keep in my leather sleeve with my game card.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

REPLY: Doesn't the coach use a list of the plays he wants to use in various situations? Does that send a wrong message to you? Absolutely nothing wrong with using a similar device to make sure we cover everything with him before the game.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2005, 08:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears

As a Referee, one of the things I struggle with early in the season is remembering to cover the items I need to cover in pregame. So to prompt my memory, I have created a cheat sheet made from paper about half the size of a postcard and I glance down at that to make sure I talk to the coaches about everything I need to talk to them about. I don't hold the card up and read directly from it. I glance at it to make sure I have everything covered and I force myself to look the coach in the eyes when I listen for an answer.

I am being told by a fellow crew member that this sends an bad signal to the coaches.

I am a varsity WH and I don't use such a checklist. I remind my crew that if I miss anything to feel free to catch it when I ask them if they have anything to add.

I think it's OK to have a checklist, but would reflect poorly on you if you read from it, step-by-step.
Old Thu Sep 15, 2005, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

I have been a referee for over 20 years and during that time I have always had a card that listed everything I wanted to cover with the coach. I have never had a coach negatively comment about the use of the card, actually, some have stated that they wish every referee was as thorough and concise. This year I have moved to umpire so that I can help train a new young referee. I offered him my card and he chose not to use one. During our conference with the coach something will almost always be forgotten to be mentioned. That forces me to bring it up, which in my mind makes the referee look bad. One final observation. How many head coaches have you seen that don't have a sheet with them at the game.+
Old Thu Sep 15, 2005, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SoGARef
I have been a referee for over 20 years and during that time I have always had a card that listed everything I wanted to cover with the coach. I have never had a coach negatively comment about the use of the card, actually, some have stated that they wish every referee was as thorough and concise. This year I have moved to umpire so that I can help train a new young referee. I offered him my card and he chose not to use one. During our conference with the coach something will almost always be forgotten to be mentioned. That forces me to bring it up, which in my mind makes the referee look bad. One final observation. How many head coaches have you seen that don't have a sheet with them at the game.+
And I also see a lot of QB's now with printed plays on their wristband.