Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 15, 2005, 06:10pm
Official Forum Member

Would anyone care to share their list?
Old Sat Sep 17, 2005, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Being a first year WH I use mine every time. I keep it in my official wallet with my other cards. it has the following.

Intro of officials
Captains #'s
Players legally equipped- Casts or braces
Sportsmanship
Sideline Control
Special plays/formations
Game ball
Ball boy
Wing officals will mark back of ball for receivers
Questions
Talk to other team then get flip out of way

[Edited by Ken H on Sep 17th, 2005 at 03:55 AM]
Old Sat Sep 17, 2005, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Halftime activity is another to add to the list.
Old Sat Sep 17, 2005, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
Tried it friday night, I am U and just checked things off as we did them. worked great, smoothest game of year (except for inadvertent whistle, but had little influence)
Old Sun Sep 18, 2005, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

I also use a checklist. Now, the last item on my list is to ask if everyone is legally equipped. Prevoiusly, I found that if the coach had a player with a cast, etc, he would stop & yell for the player to come over and it would interfere with our meeting. (this occurred even if I told him that we would check the player after.) Have been asking about equipt. last this year and things have gone much smoother.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep View Post
Mike, if you have to use a sheet, then go ahead and use it. But it does look better if you don't have to. Couldn't you give the sheet to your umpire so that he could discretely check that you covered everything?
That's kind of how we do it. If you work with a steady crew for any length of time...even as little as a year's worth of games, this will usually become second nature after awhile. I think the tip off to a coach is obvious nervousness and that's usually tipped off by a very quick and fairly uninformative meeting with one or both of the coaches. Relax and take your time. You have to remember they're going to get their first impressions of you and your crew from this PG meeting and your ratings for the game may start out on a bad note from the get-go.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2009, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Dude: it's bad form to dig up nearly 4-year-old threads.
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think the cheat sheet is a bad idea at all. I agree that reading from it might not be considered professional however it can help frame your thoughts and keep you on track.

Hard as I try (and I'm not a WH) my little league message on Sat/Sun never seems exactly the same and I do it from memory.

I use a similar cheat sheet for fast pitch softball to help me remember the details of our plate conference with coaches and captains. Kentucky also requires us to read the NFHS sportsmanship card as well so both are kept in my chest pocket.

For my FREE 7 lesson email course on How to Get Noticed, Move Up and Improve Your Football Officiating Skills visit www.profootballreferee.com
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpirebob71
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoGARef View Post
I have been a referee for over 20 years and during that time I have always had a card that listed everything I wanted to cover with the coach. I have never had a coach negatively comment about the use of the card, actually, some have stated that they wish every referee was as thorough and concise. This year I have moved to umpire so that I can help train a new young referee. I offered him my card and he chose not to use one. During our conference with the coach something will almost always be forgotten to be mentioned. That forces me to bring it up, which in my mind makes the referee look bad. One final observation. How many head coaches have you seen that don't have a sheet with them at the game.+
So, you moved from referee to umpire. Congratulations on the promotion.
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 04:32pm
Esteemed Participant

As a varsity coach, I have a card with things on it that I want to go over with the crew when they come to talk with me. Doesn't bother me in the least if they have a card or sheet also - quite often the things on the two cards match up pretty well.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Good topic.

I use a card that I refer to at the end to make sure I covered everything. Once I finish my spiel I introduce the wing sho will be on that coaches sideline. While he is giving his spiel, I refer to the card. If I missed anything, I will address it when the wing finishes up. I always felt kind of funny about it. I like the idea of having the umpire hold it, but, if he has to step in and remind you, then you will probably look worse than if you looked at the card in the first place.

With respect to pre games, some of our crews are just having the umpire and ref talk to the coaches. Do any of you do this? And, if so, what are the advantages?
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 12:28pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepat View Post
Good topic.

I use a card that I refer to at the end to make sure I covered everything. Once I finish my spiel I introduce the wing sho will be on that coaches sideline. While he is giving his spiel, I refer to the card. If I missed anything, I will address it when the wing finishes up. I always felt kind of funny about it. I like the idea of having the umpire hold it, but, if he has to step in and remind you, then you will probably look worse than if you looked at the card in the first place.

With respect to pre games, some of our crews are just having the umpire and ref talk to the coaches. Do any of you do this? And, if so, what are the advantages?
It doesn't feel like you are ganging up on him. We try to be quick, yet thorough. 2 of us makes it a lot easier to accomplish this than all 5 of us.

We used to have all 5. I'd have the wing give the rating card to his sideline, talk about back foot to the receivers, etc. and I eventually found this to be too long of a process. The coach is in the middle of pregame prep and as long as we cover everything, he would prefer (I think) for it to be handled crisply and quickly so he can get back to his team.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Good topic.

Once again the referees trying to hog the spotlight and leave the real workhorses on the crew out in the dark.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No card for me. I keep it pretty short and simple so the coach can get back to doing what he wants to be doing before the game (which amazingly is NOT chit-chatting with me). It's not that hard to keep memorized.

And yes, it's just me and the U. The other guys have their own pre-game stuff to do anyway. If there's anything special to pass along to the other guys, I do that in our short meeting before the toss. Just like they can tell me if the clock operator knows his stuff, if the chain crew is ready and if the field has any problems. There's just no point in the whole herd travelling together to talk to coaches.
Old Mon Aug 17, 2009, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

In La., for district games, it is just the R and the U. For pre-district games and for playoffs, the coaches are supposed to be introduced to the whole crew.