The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

THe more I think about this, the more it pisses me off. If for some reason the kid is allowed to play and I'm on the field, the first time his head turns my way, I'm gonna swear there was an F-Bomb and throw his a$$ out.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
THe more I think about this, the more it pisses me off. If for some reason the kid is allowed to play and I'm on the field, the first time his head turns my way, I'm gonna swear there was an F-Bomb and throw his a$$ out.
Whistles & Stripes, I sure hope that your ethics are much higher than that.

If the powers to be say he can play, should the officials really try to find a rule that would prevent him from doing so? I haven't seen what the thing looks like, but if it poses no danger to him or anyone else, is it really that big of an issue.

If not mistaken, we are innocent until proven guilty in this great nation...his trial is October 17.

[Edited by Patton on Aug 17th, 2005 at 03:16 PM]
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Here's a link to a website I just found that has the full article and a picture of the ankle monitor.

http://www.strangepolice.com/content/item/109529.html

From what I have just read though, I'd be surprised if they allow him to play. The crime is more severe than I first realized, and he admitted it. However, I still stand by my previous post...if the powers to be say let him play, then wrap some foam around the monitor and let him play.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2005, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

I think Whistles and Stripes is a bit out of line. If the governing authorities say he can play then he can play as far as I'm concerned. They make the big bucks deciding those issues. It's not up to us to penalize the kid or project our personal feelings or opinions, it's up to us to enforce the rules of football on the field. Therefore the ankle monitor becomes the only issue that I as an official should be concerned about. If someone wants to be a stickler and keep him off the field then I'd look at 1-5-3h...Metal which is projecting or other hard substance on clothes or person is illegal.
Old Thu Aug 18, 2005, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Did you happen to catch the statements from the former coach?

Signed the transfer letter as ' moved for athletic puposes" when the kid was directed to live in the new district by the court.

Guess their ethics are so far removed froom what they say the new districts ethics are.

Kid has been charged and awaits trial. There has been no final disposition of this case. Depends on the trial.
Old Thu Aug 18, 2005, 01:09pm
Small Business Owner

Cool

Quote:
Public message to:Whistles and Stripes
The following are some excerpts from the Officials Code of Ethics found in the NFHS Officials Manual (2004/2005 edition Page 6):

Officials at an interscholastic athletic event are participants in the education development of high school students. As such, they must exercise a high level of self-discipline, independence, and responsibility. The purpose of the Code is to establish guidelines for ethical standards of conduct for all interscholastic officials.

Officials should uphold the honor and dignity of the profession in all interaction with student-athletes, coaches, athletic directors, school administrators, colleagues, and the public.

Officials should be mindful that their conduct influences the respect that student-athletes, coaches, and the public hold for the profession.

As I said these are excerpts.
Perhaps you should consider reading the entire OFFICIALS Code of Ethics, next chance you get!

[Edited by KWH on Aug 18th, 2005 at 02:26 PM]
Old Fri Aug 19, 2005, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Ankle Monitors

There's always something in the rule book that will allow us to do what we ( as Umpires & Refferees) want to do. Visit your ethics and apply the rules uniformly. In Ky., we may not officiate if convicted of anything more serious than 'minor' traffic offenses. Nor can we teach or be selected as administrators in school systems. Let's also not lose sight of the role of athletics & sport in our culture. Playing football (even in Texas) is not a right; it's an opportunity; and like all opportunities must be earned, but with a low threshold. Since at the time this issue arose, he was not yet convicted a set of options is different from those available had he been at that time convicted. Everything always goes back to knowing the rules, having values and being responsible for our actions.
Old Sat Aug 20, 2005, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am glad you don't officiate in our area with that attitude. In our workshops we specifically are told that eligibility is not the jurisdiction of the officials. We are only here for the game, the game rules, etc. Let the administrators deal with those issues. And, BTW, we don't make up fouls in order to punish kids when we officiate. If I were still coaching and I got wind of your comment about making up the F-bomb foul, you'd never work in our league again. That reeks of unprofessionalism and outright cheating which is uncalled for by officials.
Old Sat Aug 20, 2005, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Redneck Ref
You see, Jackson is under house arrest until his trial on Oct. 17 trial on six counts of aggravated robbery.
If you're like me, I'm thinking the violent game of football is just what he needs in his life.

Hey, I'm going to defer to the state on that one. If they say he can play, he can play. As an official, I'm not going to pass judgment on the kid from the 30 minutes before the kickoff until the referee signals the end of the fourth period or overtime, when our jurisdiction begins and ends.

But as a private citizen before and/or after that time, I'll bet you any money you like that my taxes are going to go up to build more prisons to house this kid and kids like him.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.