The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Ankle Monitor (https://forum.officiating.com/football/21717-ankle-monitor.html)

radwaste50 Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:59am

From Badjocks and Dallas morning news

LANCASTER – Brandon Jackson was easy to spot Monday at Lancaster High School's first football practice. He was the one running routes and throwing passes while wearing an ankle monitor so law enforcement officials could keep track of his whereabouts.

Would this have to be taped and padded for play

What a fine upstanding young man/sarcasm/

Hope this question doesnt arise in one of my games

waltjp Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:04pm

I don't know about padded as you would require for a cast but I'd definitely want it covered as you would for a knee brace.

tpaul Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:46pm

Here is a good idea, how about if the kid is in that much trouble...he doesn't play! I wish coaches would get some balls and sit some guys if they can't follow the rules of life. Somethings are more important then a HS football game, same goes for winning a HS football game.

When I played, nobody was bigger then the team and if you thought so you would be riding the bench!

GBFBUmp Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:56pm

Quote:

Originally posted by waltjp
I don't know about padded as you would require for a cast but I'd definitely want it covered as you would for a knee brace.

(Illegal equipment )- 1.5.3.e - Metal which is projecting or other hard substance on clothes or person.

By rule I would carefully look at this. If it isn't covered like a knee brace I would tell the coach to get it covered or the delinquent doesn't play. 1/2 inch closed cell slow recovery rubber, etc.

In my mind I would say the kid is benched the entire season, (but make him do all the practices).

Snake~eyes Fri Aug 12, 2005 01:42pm

Glad I'm not an umpire... :D

TXMike Sat Aug 13, 2005 05:19am

In this particular case, at least one coach DID have balls. The kid transferred from his original school as coach there would not let him participate. There is no
"governing legal authority" in this typw situation here so the gaining coach chose to ignore the recommendations of the stat coach's association .

tpaul Sat Aug 13, 2005 08:14am

Quote:

Originally posted by TXMike
In this particular case, at least one coach DID have balls. The kid transferred from his original school as coach there would not let him participate. There is no
"governing legal authority" in this typw situation here so the gaining coach chose to ignore the recommendations of the stat coach's association .

Mike,
that is good to hear! atleast one coach did!

Texoma_LJ Sat Aug 13, 2005 08:41am

I think the best thing to do is to classify it as jewelry. The player has to remove it before he is allowed to play. "Oh.. can't get it off coach??? ,,,then kid cant play"

Seems like an easy solution, besides it is an "ankle bracelet"

tpaul Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:15am

Quote:

Originally posted by Texoma_LJ
I think the best thing to do is to classify it as jewelry. The player has to remove it before he is allowed to play. "Oh.. can't get it off coach??? ,,,then kid cant play"

I like that one Tex!

waltjp Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:31am

Quote:

Originally posted by Texoma_LJ

This is the best idea I've heard.

Theisey Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:01pm

The coach should contact Martha Stewart.. I'll bet she has some tips on how to remove it for a while.

Seriously, I don't think the athlete should be allowed to participate (on the field) while wearing this device.

Whether or not he should be on the team is another matter in which I have no comment on since I really don't know all the facts in this case.

James Neil Sat Aug 13, 2005 02:31pm

I know I'll probably get slammed by some of you but I don't think it’s right to make any judgments on this kid at all except for his actions on the field or sideline. . I have no idea why he’s got the device and I don’t want to know. Maybe it’s been determined that by letting this kid play it just might help turn his life around. As an Umpire I would ask the coach it he could remove the device. If not then I would ask that it be tightly secured, padded and covered. We are there to make sure the game is played safe and by the rules. Nothing else

Mark Dexter Sat Aug 13, 2005 03:27pm

This seems to come up at least once every few years in one sport or another.

I think that I would, at the least, want some sort of letter from the state certifying that he could wear it while playing. I have no idea how they hold up to the rigors of football, and I don't want to be the one to find out.

WyMike Sat Aug 13, 2005 06:21pm

Quote:

Originally posted by tpaul
Quote:

Originally posted by TXMike

Mike,
that is good to hear! atleast one coach did!

Is that the ACLU I hear coming from the left?

~

tpaul Sat Aug 13, 2005 08:03pm

Quote:

Originally posted by James Neil
I know I'll probably get slammed by some of you but I don't think it’s right to make any judgments on this kid at all except for his actions on the field or sideline. . I have no idea why he’s got the device and I don’t want to know. Maybe it’s been determined that by letting this kid play it just might help turn his life around. As an Umpire I would ask the coach it he could remove the device. If not then I would ask that it be tightly secured, padded and covered. We are there to make sure the game is played safe and by the rules. Nothing else
James,
where are you from? Where I am from (Trenton, NJ). People wearing such a device is already guitlty....