The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

Ok guys,
I just completed my 3rd full year of calling games, 2nd year with this crew. Before I get started, I do realize that I haven't been doing this long and there's LOTS of learning to do. Anyway, I thought I'd give you guys some things that new officials might go through, so if you are mentoring somebody on the field during a game, you might consider these :

1. One request I have is when you are mentoring on the field, BE CONSISTENT! If I'm told what to do in a certain situation, don't change it 3-4 games later just because you felt I was out of position, even though I was right where I was told to be last time.

2. If the majority of the crew members are very experienced (especially with other assocations), then maybe they should all get together and decide which mechanics to use (since some mechanics are different). Otherwise the new guy is going to running in circles trying to do what everyone else thinks he should do. Been there many times.

3. If it's the 9th game of a 10 games season,(Not including flag and JV) and I blow an IW (First of the whole season), does it make sense to counsel me on proper techniques and ways to avoid that? Or maybe advising me that I should switch to a finger whistle?

4. I know I'm not right all the time, but I also know I'm not wrong all the time either. So if you didn't see the play, maybe you should find out what others saw instead of "selling" your guess and going with it because you've been officiating for 20 years.

5. If I'm playing Back Judge and you are the WH, don't get on me because you feel I missed a DPI and advise me that I shouldn't be watching the ball. Isn't the WH supposed to be watching the QB? How did he know there was DPI?

Ok I'm off my soapbox (for now), Most of the guys on my crew will be gone next year, so hopefully this won't be a problem. But please consider these things new people might go through, it's a good way to destroy someone's confidence. Good thing I like football too much to let anyone get mine.
Thanks again

Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 05:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
you sound like you have a crappy crew, or just problems with the white hat. I know I will not be back with my crew next year as I was sick of the WH not knowing the rules and continually having to correct him on the field.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

And that's the big disadvantage of a crew system.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
REPLY: It can be a disadvantage...but it really depends on the composition, professionalism, and personalities of the crew members. I wouldn't trade mine!
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 02:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I do not know that has anything to do with the crew system. I could see the very same thing happening with a bunch of people that do not work together most of the time.

I do not know that I would like anything but a crew system.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

schmitty1973,

Looks to me like there is a personnel problem. This is a timely post because a few of us locally were just talking about this very topic this weekend.

Training new officials is a skill that needs to be learned just like any other skill.

I don't know how games are assigned for you and we don't use a 'crew' system here so I'm not very well versed on the issue but I do know that I try to assign two rookie officials to games with younger age groups with two quite senior officials. Our local football association has graciously allowed us to bill on a per-game basis (as opposed to a per-official basis). This arrangement gives us the ability to put a new official on the game without the football association feeling like they're paying full-choke to teach somebody how to be an official. We have locally committed (as officials) that it's more important to us to promote everybody's enjoyment of the game and take a hit when there's an extra official on the field than it is to get the $35/game or whatever it works out to.

I do a lot of observation and coaching through the year. In a season where I could easily pick up 55 games I elect to go to the field and work with the newer officials between quarters, during time outs, and at half time (with the blessing of the coaches, I might add).

I wonder if the crew system would benefit from adding an 'observer' to the crew. We have commited to doing a lot of work locally to ensure that we're giving the kids the best game they can get every time we walk out on the field and we're starting to see the benefits.

My advice schmitty1973 ... keep your chin up.
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:
I do not know that has anything to do with the crew system. I could see the very same thing happening with a bunch of people that do not work together most of the time.

I do not know that I would like anything but a crew system.

Peace
Crew system is definitely the way to go, atleast imo. What I was saying is crew system stinks when you get put on a crew with people that you do not like, do not get along with or with people who have no interest in improving.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

Hey guys, thanks for all the input. Hopefully next year will be better, sorry if I sounded "grumpy".

Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cdnRef
schmitty1973,

I wonder if the crew system would benefit from adding an 'observer' to the crew. We have commited to doing a lot of work locally to ensure that we're giving the kids the best game they can get every time we walk out on the field and we're starting to see the benefits.

My advice schmitty1973 ... keep your chin up.
I'm on a crew and I think the benefit of an association is having that ongoing training. A crew won't get any better if they don't know they're doing wrong.

On the other hand if you've got a good crew who's committed to learning then that's a positive plus you have the benefit of knowing who you work with week to week, how they think, and how they act as opposed to being put on a field with different guys each game. There's definite advantages both ways and it depends on what you are comfortable with and what's important.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Hey schmitty1973,

You've got another well I guess I'm still a rookie, I also just completed my third season of officiationg. A lot of the things you said are things a rookie really notices during the season. One thing I suggest is a thorough pre-game. When going through it, discuss all these things, like who should be watching what, where abouts you should be standing or running, and what mechanics will be used. At least then you can say that you're on the same page about something.

I'm guess I'm lucky, I haven't had a veteran official over-rule me yet, and I don't intend to. But I have had some talk to me after the game about a call I made or didn't make. It's all in the way the person handles it. I want to know if I screw up, but I don't want my judgement questioned while I'm on the field.

I also guess I'm fortunate to not be working with the same crew all season long. In our association all games are assigned individually. I've worked with a variety of people with a variety of insights. From rookies to vetrans.

I hope you keep it up, and that you'll have a better crew next season.
Old Wed Dec 01, 2004, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Hey cdnRef, where abouts in Canada are you from??
Old Thu Dec 02, 2004, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Speaking of crews...

Hey, Bob M - you working this weekend?
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

ref18,

I'm in Kelowna, BC.
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Speaking of crews...

Quote:
Originally posted by waltjp
Hey, Bob M - you working this weekend?
REPLY: No...we had the North Group 3 semi-final between Demareest and Roxbury. How about you?
Old Fri Dec 03, 2004, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cdnRef
ref18,

I'm in Kelowna, BC.
Ah, on the other side of the country.

50 more to go

[Edited by ref18 on Dec 3rd, 2004 at 02:12 PM]