View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

schmitty1973,

Looks to me like there is a personnel problem. This is a timely post because a few of us locally were just talking about this very topic this weekend.

Training new officials is a skill that needs to be learned just like any other skill.

I don't know how games are assigned for you and we don't use a 'crew' system here so I'm not very well versed on the issue but I do know that I try to assign two rookie officials to games with younger age groups with two quite senior officials. Our local football association has graciously allowed us to bill on a per-game basis (as opposed to a per-official basis). This arrangement gives us the ability to put a new official on the game without the football association feeling like they're paying full-choke to teach somebody how to be an official. We have locally committed (as officials) that it's more important to us to promote everybody's enjoyment of the game and take a hit when there's an extra official on the field than it is to get the $35/game or whatever it works out to.

I do a lot of observation and coaching through the year. In a season where I could easily pick up 55 games I elect to go to the field and work with the newer officials between quarters, during time outs, and at half time (with the blessing of the coaches, I might add).

I wonder if the crew system would benefit from adding an 'observer' to the crew. We have commited to doing a lot of work locally to ensure that we're giving the kids the best game they can get every time we walk out on the field and we're starting to see the benefits.

My advice schmitty1973 ... keep your chin up.