View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 29, 2004, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

Ok guys,
I just completed my 3rd full year of calling games, 2nd year with this crew. Before I get started, I do realize that I haven't been doing this long and there's LOTS of learning to do. Anyway, I thought I'd give you guys some things that new officials might go through, so if you are mentoring somebody on the field during a game, you might consider these :

1. One request I have is when you are mentoring on the field, BE CONSISTENT! If I'm told what to do in a certain situation, don't change it 3-4 games later just because you felt I was out of position, even though I was right where I was told to be last time.

2. If the majority of the crew members are very experienced (especially with other assocations), then maybe they should all get together and decide which mechanics to use (since some mechanics are different). Otherwise the new guy is going to running in circles trying to do what everyone else thinks he should do. Been there many times.

3. If it's the 9th game of a 10 games season,(Not including flag and JV) and I blow an IW (First of the whole season), does it make sense to counsel me on proper techniques and ways to avoid that? Or maybe advising me that I should switch to a finger whistle?

4. I know I'm not right all the time, but I also know I'm not wrong all the time either. So if you didn't see the play, maybe you should find out what others saw instead of "selling" your guess and going with it because you've been officiating for 20 years.

5. If I'm playing Back Judge and you are the WH, don't get on me because you feel I missed a DPI and advise me that I shouldn't be watching the ball. Isn't the WH supposed to be watching the QB? How did he know there was DPI?

Ok I'm off my soapbox (for now), Most of the guys on my crew will be gone next year, so hopefully this won't be a problem. But please consider these things new people might go through, it's a good way to destroy someone's confidence. Good thing I like football too much to let anyone get mine.
Thanks again