The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Runner for A is doing the tight-rope walk going down the sidelines. As he is about to lose his balance and fall OOB there is the LJ in the coaches box. Runner extends his hand and pushes off the referee to regain his balance. By Rule 2-28-1 should be legal, but Im thinking otherwise.
Old Thu Oct 07, 2004, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

2-28 art 2 legal

What would you rule if runner running down sideline is touched by a player standing on the sideline.

[Edited by andy1033 on Oct 7th, 2004 at 09:03 PM]
Old Fri Oct 08, 2004, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Maybe illegal participation? The players on the sideline are not part of the field, officials are.
Old Fri Oct 08, 2004, 02:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
The same rule, 2-28-2, says that a ball in player possession is OB when the runner touches anything , other than a player or game official, who is on or outside a sideline or endline.
A player is in the same clasification here as a game official.
Second if the player was a different situation it would still not be Illegal Participation since the play would be over because the ball would have gone OB.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Fri Oct 08, 2004, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

That's why the pylon's are 3 yards off the end line. So that if a player is running a route deep in the endzone and kicks a pylon but never touches ground OOB by rule he is OOB. Plus, BJs don't have to trip over them this way
Old Fri Oct 08, 2004, 09:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by SouthGARef
That's why the pylon's are 3 yards off the end line. So that if a player is running a route deep in the endzone and kicks a pylon but never touches ground OOB by rule he is OOB. Plus, BJs don't have to trip over them this way
This is the first thing I do when walking the field -- move the yard markers back and move the endline pylons back off the endline (except the ones in the corner, of course).

--Rich
Old Fri Oct 08, 2004, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by andy1033
2-28 art 2 legal

What would you rule if runner running down sideline is touched by a player standing on the sideline.

[Edited by andy1033 on Oct 7th, 2004 at 09:03 PM]
If the "player" was never on the field of play prior to the snap, he is by definition not a player, but rather a non-player. This then, would make me throw the flag for illegal participation. If the "player" is actually a player by definition, then there is no foul.
Old Fri Oct 08, 2004, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
This is the first thing I do when walking the field -- move the yard markers back and move the endline pylons back off the endline (except the ones in the corner, of course).

--Rich
Worked a game last week with 2 officials with over 40 years experience between them. When I moved the endline pylons back they asked me what I was doing. I told them...and they looked at me like a beagle looking at a ceiling fan. Same week, I had 3 different coaches ask why I was moving the pylons. Of course, I can expect that from coaches...

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Fri Oct 08, 2004, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jumpmaster
Quote:
Worked a game last week with 2 officials with over 40 years experience between them. When I moved the endline pylons back they asked me what I was doing.
REPLY: Thank God you didn't need to rule a momentum exception. Sounds like those guys haven't been "in the book" for quite a while!
Old Fri Oct 08, 2004, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jumpmaster
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:

--Rich
Worked a game last week with 2 officials with over 40 years experience between them. When I moved the endline pylons back they asked me what I was doing. I told them...and they looked at me like a beagle looking at a ceiling fan. Same week, I had 3 different coaches ask why I was moving the pylons. Of course, I can expect that from coaches...
My crew cheif doesn't allow our BJ to move the pylons. He says he will write up a report and the association secretary will notify them that they need to be 3 yards back.

I think it's splitting hairs, but I just do as I'm told...
Old Fri Oct 08, 2004, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Pardon my ignorance. I'm a rookie at this.....but can you explain to me why you move the pylons off the endline?
Old Fri Oct 08, 2004, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Because somewhere in Rule 1 it says the end line pylons should be 3 yards off the end line.

The purpose is that if a player is running a route and kicks the pylon--but never touches the line or ground that is OOB. By 2-28-2, just kicking the pylon makes this player OOB. By moving it back 3 yards, hopefully we won't have this problem.
Old Fri Oct 08, 2004, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Not to pick nits, but it is 3 feet not yards. Rule 1-2-4.
Old Fri Oct 08, 2004, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Plus the BJ won't trip over them either.
Old Fri Oct 08, 2004, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Uh, yea.. 3 feet.