The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

Saw a first in two years of officiating. Let me know how you vets would have handled the situation:

Working a 7/8th grade game last night as U...late in the 3rd, I'm keying Tackle to Tackle, I hear the line backer next to me say "Jake, you OK?"cadence begins...I look over at the OLB and his mouthguard is out...and he begins to lose whatever is in his stomache... and it's the projectile type. Now the ball is snapped a second after I witness this, the kid jams his mouthguard back in, and makes the tackle! He then runs off the field and continues spraying his side line.

Now, I felt I obviously missed my duty in stopping the play. However, both events (my spotting the player in trouble, and the snap) occurred almost simulataneously, and the short run was over within seconds. Not to mention I never have my whistle in my mouth as an Umpire, and I wouldn't have gotten it there in time anyway.

My concern is that we should have taken an official's T.O . after the play, and checked on the kid on his SL. Any thoughts?

2ndYrUmp
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

I would have made sure the coach was aware of the player's situation. Tell the coach to make sure he's okay before the player returns. Other than that, there's not much you can really do. Had he not gone out after the play, I probably would call an injury timeout.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

I would have checked my shoes as well.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Yup. Since he went directly to the coach after the play, I guess I figured he was in proper care. I just didn't want our crew coming across as indifferent about players good health as a whole. With these late September, 80-degree days in southern Michigan, we should all be cognizant (did I spell that right?) of possible dehydration issues, and allow extra breaks for these youngsters to get fluids.

The amazing thing was how this kid recovered, turned the ball carriers helmet sideways on his hit, and commenced to spewing all in a matter of one play. Football players are definitely a special breed!

J
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
I would have checked my shoes as well.
Good answer. But on a different safety minded track, when we see blood on a player that player must go out and have it covered/cleaned so as not to spread blood borne disease. Would the officiating crew need to have the players jersey / body parts/ any of the football field that was hit with the spew be cleaned? I know, its just grass, and gross , but is there a health aspect to this situation?
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaysef
Not to mention I never have my whistle in my mouth as an Umpire, and I wouldn't have gotten it there in time anyway.

2ndYrUmp

I keep my lanyard whistle in my mouth, and then let it drop at the snap. If I need to blow the play dead (which is rare for an umpire) I use my finger whistle.
Old Thu Sep 23, 2004, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
I agree with Jimmy, there are many reasons to stop a play before it starts. You would do much better to have your whistle in your mouth before a play and let it drop when the play starts. You just illustrated one reason.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Fri Sep 24, 2004, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Thanks once again for solid input gentlemen.