The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 11, 2004, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Question

In a 7th grade game using NFHS, the coach previewed us on some plays that might be confusing. One was a screen pass that his lineman would go downfield about 4-5 yards before the ball was passed, but his fullback would catch it behind the neutral zone so it wouldn’t be an ineligible receiver downfield. Not being sure, I checked on it quick. All I could find was Table 7-5 #3, Ineligible Receiver Downfield.

It states: Ineligible A players may not advance across the expanded neutral zone before the last pass which crosses the neutral zone is in flight unless touched by B in or behind the neutral zone.

This doesn’t seem to be on point because the coach said the ball would be caught behind the neutral zone, not crossing the neutral zone in flight.

They didn’t run the play, so it was a non-issue.
Can someone please help me out with this, though?

In NFHS, is it an foul ineligible receiver downfield foul on a forward pass that is caught behind the neutral zone as I’ve described in the example above?
Old Sat Sep 11, 2004, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

No, it's not. If a pass doesn't cross the NZ, you can't have an ineligible downfield foul.
Old Sat Sep 11, 2004, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

You have just described the classic screen pass play! If a receiver catches the pass behind the NZ, ineligible receivers (linemen) may be downfield blocking. If the pass is caught beyond the NZ, the yellow hanky should be flying.
Old Sat Sep 11, 2004, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
No, it's not. If a pass doesn't cross the NZ, you can't have an ineligible downfield foul.
What he said.
Old Sun Sep 12, 2004, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

The above replies are correct. Many times the ball does cross the NZ so beaware. We have been instructed that the proper technique is, if in question, officials down field throw the flag and the umpire will rule on the pass crossing the LOS or not crossing. If not crossing ; referee waves off the flag.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

If the pass is caught behind the NZ, there will be no ruling on pass interference either.

Can the DE come up and knock the receiver down behind the LOS and intercept the ball?
Alexandria, LA
Louisiana NG
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Also remember - it's when the pass if first touched. A couple of years ago, we actually had a spirited disagreement amongst the officials when the ball initially hit the RB behind the LOS, but he didn't catch it. It went up and forward, beyond the LOS, where he DID catch it.

The other thing to remember as a newer official is that it is not the INTENT of the offense that matters, but rather where the ball ACTUALLY is caught (first touched). You'll see a screen pass go across the line every once in a while, and flag it - coach will chew your ear off - "THAT WAS A SCREEN PASS!!!" but if it went across the LOS, IT WASN'T a screen pass.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

To Chiefgil:

NF yes a reciever behind the neutral zone can be hit by B even if the pass to him is in flight( provided that the pass does not cross the NZ). HOWEVER he can't clip him, block in the back, hold him or anything else that is normally deemed illegal. If they hold him, they are charged with a holding foul, if they clip him they are gullty of clippig ETC but not DFI.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

SJOldGuy: How come B can't block that receiver in the back? Take a look at 9.3.5b and tell me if you still disagree. My logic is B can legally touch or catch the pass so I'm thinking that would be legal. Agree?
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Very interesting ljudge! What I was thinking was (is) that B wasn't trying to intercept the pass.B in my mind on this play was only trying to prevent an offense completion. In that case (official's judgment) you have illegal block in the back. Over the years I have been in many training sessions that supported this call. Never did anyone bring up your point. I have a feeling that you are correct in your applying 9-3-5b if, in the judgment of the covering official, that is the situation. I don't want to accept it in this forum unless I am 100% sure! I suggest we contact our rules intepretor for finally ruling. I am going to be to busy, as usual, with the cadets and their game schedules tonight at the meeting. Can you do it and let me know.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

The rules interpreter was in our referee's position meeting all night so I had a chance to ask him. At first he thought block in the back but I brought up this rule (9.3.5b) and his interpretation is exactly what you expected. Since he B can legally touch the ball he can hit the receiver in the back (behind NZ) but if he's not going for the ball he believes a flag should be thrown. So, intent is also the key from his perspective.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Ljudge
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Thank you

Thanks to all of you who responded. That helped a ton. You're all great!

Eric
Old Fri Oct 07, 2016, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Ineligible receiver BEHIND LOS catching forward pass

Variation on a theme here.

Ineligible receiver BEHIND LOS catching forward pass.

I have a game tonight where a team very likely will run plays involving this.

The ineligible has an eligible number, but is covered by the end.

NFHS rules

Legal - Yes/ No ?

Citations?
Old Fri Oct 07, 2016, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkishowl20 View Post
Variation on a theme here.

Ineligible receiver BEHIND LOS catching forward pass.

I have a game tonight where a team very likely will run plays involving this.

The ineligible has an eligible number, but is covered by the end.

NFHS rules

Legal - Yes/ No ?

Citations?

It's illegal touching whether caught in front or behind LOS, that distinction is for pass interference rules but not illegal touching. So position of an ineligible receiver is of no consequence, as long as they intentionally touch the ball. Here's a case play that pretty much covers the possibilities:

7.5.13 SITUATION A:

Ineligible receiver A2 is behind, in or beyond his neutral zone and has committed no act against a defender that could be ruled pass interference when a forward pass by A1: (a) accidentally strikes him in the back; or (b) is muffed by him; or (c) is caught by him.

RULING: In (a), there is no foul for illegal touching. In (b) and (c), it is illegal touching. The acts in both (b) and (c) are intentional and not accidental as in (a).