The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Only answer this if you are as crazy as I am.

Q63 deals with the numbering requirement for offesive linemen. The question in part says "...it is illegal position or procedure unless the numbering excetion is being used." The rule is 7-2 art 5 on page 51. Under penalities for section 2 on page 52, Art 1,2 and 3 are named "Illegal procedure or illegal formations". Art 5 (the one in question 63) is named "illegal numbering". Making the foul an illegal numbering foul and the answer False.

I know the rule, I just don't know how to answer the question. Any thoughts???? or do we care at all?
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

JW - I'm not sure if you were standing there on Tuesday evening when I discussed with Colonial V. He asked the same question and I had false because there was no mention of the words "illegal position" in the rules book. Frankly, I think the question is a joke. It's the same penalty yardage (5 yds. from prev spot) and the signal is the same (Illegal Procedure signal).

I answered it false only because of the wording. I also responded because I'm as crazy as you. After all, you did train me didn't you????
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
me too!

I answered false for the same reason. My entire crew disagreed with me and claimed a "misprint". I said you don't have "misprints" on a True/False test.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

just to throw gas on the fire..our group answered true...only because it is a procedure penalty...we went with the same yardage same signal true statement...but we did have dissent in the ranks...and we figured, its a stupid question, and if we miss one that isn't too bad LOL
Old Thu Aug 19, 2004, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

Taking the test closed book, I also answered true - illegal position, procedure, numbering, formation all amount to the same thing. People use the terms interchangeably. The writers of the NF exam shouldn't do that, but they do. As someone pointed out in a different thread, the trick is to figure out when they're TRYING to trip you up with wording, and when they just botched it themselves.

Frankly, I have never found the true/false format to be of any use in my own high school classroom. It'd be nice if the NF would get a couple of people in their office who (a) had some background in test-writing methods, and (b) knew how to proofread.