The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 18, 2004, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

OK, here is one where I am in disagreement not only with veteran officials, but also with the manuals. I apologize in advance for the wordiness of the post.

Following a fair catch deep in its own territory late in a half the offense will snap the ball. During the next play, A2 completes a pass to B's 30. B2 roughed passer A2 as time expired on the play. A's captain requests a free kick at B's 15. Ruling:request granted. The period is extended for the free kick.

Case Book 6.5.4: R1 signals for a fair catch beyond the neutral zone on K's 40. K2 interferes with R1's opportunity to make the catch. R chooses an awarded catch and to put the ball in play with a snap. During the down: (a)A gains 15 yards and the coach of B is charged with an unsportsmanlike foul; or (b)B2 commits pass interference; or (c)an inadvertent whistle sounds during A1's forward pass. RULING: In (a), the unsportsmanlike foul during the down does not give A another choice to snap or free kick. However in (b), A may snap or free kick following penalty enforcement. In (c), the down is replayed and A has the option to snap or free kick.

Rule 6-5-4: The captain may choose to free kick or snap anywhere between the inbounds lines on the yard line throught the spot of the catch when a fair catch is made or throught the spot of interference, when a fair catch is awarded. These choices remain if a dead-ball foul occurs prior to the down, or a foul or an inadvertent whistle occurs during the down and the down is replayed.

Here is my beef: Pass interference and roughing the passer are fouls that are penalized by 15 yards and an automatic first down. It is my contention that an automatic first down DOES NOT constitute a replayed down, rather it is an awarding of a new series. I feel that based on the way the rule is written, the case book is incorrect in the enforcement of situation (b) in 6.5.4. Furthermore, I feel that the spirit of the rule is correct and the verbiage should be changed in 6-5-4 to omit/change the words "down is replayed."

If a quarterback is roughed on 2nd down, are we replaying 2nd down, or are we awarding a new series and playing 1st down? Am I off-base in my interpretation of a "replayed down"?
Old Wed Aug 18, 2004, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

If it were incomplete or intercepted, we'd replay first down. Since it was completed and we enforce from the succeeding spot, I'd say we aren't replaying first down - we're on to the next first down.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2004, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

This is a sticky situation. You are absolutely right about roughing the passer or PI. Maybe you should submit a rule change proposal to NFHS. Anybody can do it, and your reasoning is sound when you think about those two penalties: You aren't re-playing the down but instead awarding a new series, effectively stating that the last series is over. No free kick should be possible. But until then, we must play by the rules as written. *shrug*

-Craig
Old Wed Aug 18, 2004, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sir_eldren
Maybe you should submit a rule change proposal to NFHS.
How do I do that?
Old Wed Aug 18, 2004, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Think about the intent of the rule. The purpose is to give A the same option if B commits a live ball (enforced as a live ball) foul during the down.
Does it matter what we call the succeeding down?
If the team free kicks they lose the new (or old) series anyways.
By your logic ANY foul that results in a first down would invalidate the option, not just one that carries an automatic first down.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Wed Aug 18, 2004, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

The part about "and the down replayed" should be associated with or connected to the part of the rule regarding the inadvertent whistle occurring down the down.

The part about the foul stands alone.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2004, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim S
Think about the intent of the rule. The purpose is to give A the same option if B commits a live ball (enforced as a live ball) foul during the down.
Does it matter what we call the succeeding down?
If the team free kicks they lose the new (or old) series anyways.
Jim, I am not arguing with the logic of the rule - I completely and totally agree with the rule. My problem is that the verbiage, in my opinion, is a bit screwy in regards to the down being "replayed".

Quote:

By your logic ANY foul that results in a first down would invalidate the option, not just one that carries an automatic first down.
Yes......and that's my point. If the result of the play is a first down, then you are beginning a new series - not replaying a down.
Old Wed Aug 18, 2004, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Okay, maybe I'm confused...it happens a lot...but going to the case book and reading the situation finds a referral to rule 10.4.4a. Can anyone find that one in the rule book?
Old Wed Aug 18, 2004, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

There is no rule 10-4-4a. In 2002 there was, but in 2003 the NF moved all of subsections of 10-4-4 into a new 10-4-5 and inserted a totaly a new 10-4.

They do this kind of trickery all the time and as usual they never tell you about it in the front page summary of changes. As a result, those who are supposed to cross reference and change the case books don't do it.

So basically you've found an error in the case book. I'm sure there are more just like it.

Again, I'll reiterate the point about replay of the down as it relates to this free kick for a FG. That statement in the rule applies to a situation where there is an inadvertent whistle and the offense chooses to replay the down.

Any other foul if accepted no matter if it give you an auto-first down or not, Team-A can still choose the freekick option at where ever the ball would next be snapped.