The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 02, 2004, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
R muffs a punt at his own ten yard line, after a scramble for the ball,(A) k recovers in its own endzone, or (B) the ball goes through the endzone out of bounds. what happens in both those situations?
Old Mon Aug 02, 2004, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
In a it is a safety because the kick never ended and the force involved is K's kick. 90 yard force play what???

Assuming you mean K's endline in b. the same applies.
It doesn't seem right, but that's the case

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Mon Aug 02, 2004, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by yankeesfan
R muffs a punt at his own ten yard line, after a scramble for the ball,(A) k recovers in its own endzone, or (B) the ball goes through the endzone out of bounds. what happens in both those situations?
Maybe you could clarify something here or at least for me... 'R' as muffed a kick at their 10 yard line and in (A) you are asking what the result is if the ball is recovered by 'K' in their endzone?
You sure you don't mean 'R's endzone? I can't envision the ball being muffed 90 yards downfield into 'K's endzone.

(A) If I may assume the endzone was really 'R's endzone, the result (NF) is that 'K' recovered a dead ball and it is 'R's ball the the R-20 due to a touchback.
(B) touchback.

Old Mon Aug 02, 2004, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Quote:
Originally posted by Theisey
(A) If I may assume the endzone was really 'R's endzone, the result (NF) is that 'K' recovered a dead ball and it is 'R's ball the the R-20 due to a touchback.

[/B]
why is this a touchback and not a touchdown for R?

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Mon Aug 02, 2004, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Jumpmaster. First off if it was in R's EZ it can't be a TD for R can it.
But in either case under fed rules a kick is dead when it crosses the goalline of R. So in either situation (Recover or going over the endline) the ball would be long dead. The force for putting the ball into the EZ is still K's kick, and the result a TB.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Mon Aug 02, 2004, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you Jim.
Jumpmaster: the play as written is not clear and we tried to clear that up with some assumptions or assertions made to the play.
I was hoping Yankeesan would come back and correct what appears to Jim and I to be confusion over just which EZ the ball is actually declared dead in. As Jim points out, there is no TD for "R" and I'll add no matter which EZ is the correct one.
Old Mon Aug 02, 2004, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yankeesfan
i am sorry, i meant R's endzone. everyone was right, it was not a 90 yard muff. sorry for the confusion. is it a touchback in both situations?
Old Mon Aug 02, 2004, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Touchback in both situations as soon as the ball crosses the goal line since a muff doesn't end the kick.
"Football is a great deal like life in that it teaches that work, sacrifice, perseverance, competitive drive, selflessness and respect for authority. That is the price that each and every one of us must pay to achieve any goal that is worthwhile." - Vince Lombardi
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 07:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim S
Jumpmaster. First off if it was in R's EZ it can't be a TD for R can it.
But in either case under fed rules a kick is dead when it crosses the goalline of R. So in either situation (Recover or going over the endline) the ball would be long dead. The force for putting the ball into the EZ is still K's kick, and the result a TB.

ahhhh! I forgot the force factor. 2-13-4. Duh.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Tue Aug 03, 2004, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Jumpmaster keep this in mind. Force is never a factor on any kicks going into R's endzone (2-13-4a). The ball is dead as soon as it broke the plane of R's endzone, so it doesn't matter who caused the ball to enter the end zone.