The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

New U's

Our association worked F and JV with 4 man until last year. We found we had a problem developing BJ's for varsity. Sine we never used a BJ it was difiicult to find a guy who could be effective the first night out. Your association has the same problem only worse.

I recommend you talk to as many umpires as you can find willing to talk. Usually they all want to talk. For the long term, your association needs to work F and JV with 4 or 5 man crews, especially in years preceeding when you know you will have some attrition, retirements, or pick up new schools to work for.

The way to sell the additional cost to schools, is to let them know they'll have more expereinced officials on Friday nights.
Old Mon May 10, 2004, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Rick, the Association has attempted to work in a five man crew. The only time a 5th man works is during the playoffs. It may have something to do with our fee schedules! I am attempting to talk to as many Umpires as I can and that is why I posted. I appreciate the replies and the insight. BTW, I was drafted into an Umpire position.
Old Thu May 13, 2004, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

I think there has been some great advice about being an umpire. I would like to add that it is important to know everything the ref has to know. It will make the game go faster and smoothier if you have every answer for the ref. You need to know things like if the ball was out of bounds, was the clock running before the last play, all sorts of little details make things go smooth. Before I worked as a ref I had know idea what they had to keep track of back there, and little things can help them. You need to communicate with everyone and think of yourself as the refs little servant.
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by westonkw
I would like to add that it is important to know everything the ref has to know.
The wise R owes a tremendous amount of gratitude to an astute U. I've done games with U's that haven't a clue about penalty enforcement and it just makes it a long night. Conversely, when you have a competent U that can check you on enforcements, and keep control of the middle, it's a great night.

Hoist one this weekend for all of the great umpires that we get to work with!