The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 23, 2004, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

I am starting my fourth year in my NY Association this fall. I am eligible for the varsity draft this year, which will be held next Wednesday. I anticipate being drafted by a crew that is in need of an umpire. In my association, lower level games are officiated by a three man crew. The crew consists of the white hat and two wings. I have never officiated the position of umpire. I am requesting the assistance of umpires to provide me with some knowledge regarding the officiating of this position. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Sat Apr 24, 2004, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by eventnyc
I am starting my fourth year in my NY Association this fall. I am eligible for the varsity draft this year, which will be held next Wednesday. I anticipate being drafted by a crew that is in need of an umpire. In my association, lower level games are officiated by a three man crew. The crew consists of the white hat and two wings. I have never officiated the position of umpire. I am requesting the assistance of umpires to provide me with some knowledge regarding the officiating of this position. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
OK, first thing you’re going to want to do is bend over as far as you can. Put your head as far as it’ll go between your legs.... And kiss your a$$ good bye!
No seriously, welcome to the meat grinder. I’m a four-year guy myself and I love working inside. I’ll let those with the experience help you with the more intricate instruction for Umpires. But in the meantime I’ll give you my impressions.
There’s no better place on the field, and no other position as important. You’ll soon find out that it’s really the Umpire that runs the game and the WH is only as good as his Umpire. He’s the one who’ll be asked to explain the “all but one” after everyone else has butchered the interpatation. He’s the official who looks like he actually “worked” when the game is over. He’s the one who calms the players and keeps peace on the field. He handles the ball more then any one else on the field, and his “Spot” is law. I could go on and on here but I think I’ve done enough damage. You see, now I’ll have to take a thrashing from some lonely Back Judge or Mercury footed Wingman telling me how it‘s their position that's the most important. . I can hear the Fat-so jokes already. OK guys let me have it.
Oh-God, I hope Uncle Ernie doesn't see this. Or anyone else on the crew I’m working with tomorrow. I better delete this before Monday.
Old Sat Apr 24, 2004, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

35 year umpire (32 in CNY) here--
go to the National Federation web site and
get the 3 man mechanics !!
With 3 man crews--- EVERYBODY runs !!
Have fun. I'm "jonesing" for spring ball
here in SW FL !!
As others may have said-- the U is in a
unique position to control the "temper"
of the players and the game---- if you have
a good positive attitude and personality, you
should do well !!
Again, have fun.
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Welcome to the grinder. The umpire is the thermostat for the game. I am a third-year guy, so there are other people who can share the finer points of the position, but here are some things that I have learned from those who have done this longer.

1. Talk to your front seven the entire game and be on a first name basis with your defensive captains. Nothing does a better job of control of saying in a huddle,"Dave, you need to get number 15 under control or he is going to cost you 15 yards." Let them police yourself and do LOTS of preventive officiating.

2. You are going to get hit. Make sure and hit the gym and exercise. Work on flexibility and strength. I heard one umpire say that this is a close as you can get to running with the bulls.

3. Resist the urge to move. On dives, let the runner cut off you. Don't try to get out of the way, because you are probably going to get in the way of a tackler.

4. Holding is not always holding. One of the biggest things I have had to work on is holding. Holding has to impede progress. If an OL grabs a DL by the Jersey, it isn't holding until the DL tries to gain seperation and can't. It also isn't holding if it doesn't affect the play. If the player being held doesn't have an opportunity to impact the play, then don't throw the flag. Find a clinic with an umpire breakout that uses video. They will provide good examples.

I have some soft copies of stuff that other guys on this board have send me that helps me and I review on a periodic basis. Email me and I can send it on.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Aloha!

Salutations gentlemen!

And good luck at your experience at the umpire position.

Sleeper, you bring-up such good points. I have my first game of the season this Saturday (Hawaii football League: adult semi-pro guys in their 20s and 30s) and I was just reviewing the same points you discuss.

In my mind, its good to keep it simple:

1. Talk it up with the players and them know you are strict yet fair and you are watching them as a fellow comrade guiding their passions towards the Light.

2. Get a good position and vary it slightly depending on the situation. For example, you need to be about 5 to 7 yards behind the line, in between and slightly behind the linebackers, able to clearly see the snap and the 5 interior offensive linemen.

3. Good dead-ball officiating. If its a dead-ball foul shut the play down immediately. Always be confident and consistent in this area. Let the players know you are there and that you care about them but like a good older brother or father you will also not tolerate any bad stuff (verbal and otherwise).

4. Sleeper your best observation is about holding. I think this is an area I really need to work on as well. We need to pick-up the point of attack and focus our energies at the little grabs and arms-outside-the frame stuff that can give the runner or passer a momentary advantage. Also, you bring-up such a good point about the philosophy of the defensive player's reaction to the initial grab, etc. So good. Also, we need to be aware of defensive fouls (some that I've seen are defensive linemen holding their opponent so the linebacker can block a kick or a defensive player slamming his closed fist or slapping his opponents helmet, etc.).

So the main thing is to get used to having a nice steady platform so you can scan your area and then focus on the action of the 2 to 4 players (offense and defense) at that point of attack that is critical to the play.

So good luck to you! They originally stuck me at umpire about 6 or 7 years ago and now 10 seasons into my career I don't want to work anywhere else (okay, I do envision myself as a fleet-footed and attractive back judge but hey umpires are allowed to dream aren't they?).

And yes, I believe Ernest Hemingway would have made a great umpire! Someday may all of us go to Pamplona, wear berets, drink wine and tell football stories someday.
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by James Neil

He’s the official who looks like he actually “worked” when the game is over. I could go on and on here but I think I’ve done enough damage. You see, now I’ll have to take a thrashing from some lonely Back Judge or Mercury footed Wingman telling me how it‘s their position that's the most important.

Jimmy,

First off, you are the only guy I know who looked like he actually "worked" the game before it starts...

Second, its not your spot..It's mine. If you would place the ball correctly, I wouldn't have to remind you that we were on the B20 (not the B21) and we were on the right hash, not the left. I am thinking of leaving a Snicker bar at the previous spot so you don't forget.

Third...MOVE. Disconnect the chain that is holding you inside the hashmarks...and get to the piles when the play is over (within reason).

Other than that, not too bad.

Love ya....Uncy-poo

PS: Dont ever call me that again. hehehehe
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Good points all. Here are a few others.

I would make it 6-7 yards off the line on regular plays. When I was a new U last year, I wanted to get close and not be afraid, so I lined up 4-5 yards off the LOS. You don't get a panoramic look at the play, and that extra step or two really helps.

Punts. Be sure to warn the defense to lay off the snapper. And line up 9-10 yards off the LOS. Don't turn to follow the kick until the players pass you. Stay still, move a step or two to the side if you must. I lined up on my first punt last the first time at U 5 yards off the LOS and turned to follow the ball after it crossed the NZ and got clipped. Almost ruined a budding career. Backed up and stayed still and never was touched the rest of the season.
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Long post...hope you don't mind

REPLY: To expand on the great points that Sleeper brought up regarding holding, I may have posted this before. If I did, please excuse…

“You can call holding on every play.” We’ve all heard it a hundred times. Personally, I don’t believe it. And even if you do believe it, and insist on calling it on every play, you won’t be calling it for very long. Offensive holding is certainly worthy of more discussion. Officials have heard many times that we should only call holding when it occurs at the point of attack, i.e. when it occurs at a place and time that may have an impact on the play. But that’s usually where the discussion ends. In my opinion, that’s exactly where the discussion should begin.

More needs to be said about what actually constitutes holding, what types of actions should be flagged. What are the "keys" you look for when you have a player suspect for holding? Let’s take a look at the wording of the Federation’s rule prohibiting “holding.”

NF 9-2-1c: “An offensive player (except the runner) shall not…(c.) Use his hands, arms or legs to hook, lock, clamp, grasp, encircle or hold in an effort to restrain an opponent.”)

I’ve always believed that the operative word in the rule is “restrain.” Unless the act restricts an opponent from moving toward the ball carrier (point of attack), I’d be inclined to let it go.

An NFL friend of mine told me what they look for when a player is suspect for holding at the point of attack: Look for the blockee to make an “unathletic move.” That is look for him to make a move that looks nothing like what an athlete might do if he were pursuing a runner in an unrestricted way. Examples: look for his shoulders to spin away from his direction of movement; look for his arm to be pulled away from the side of his body. And the big one…look for the blockee to “lose his legs.” This last one deserves a better description. When an athlete moves, he typically has his body over his legs, which provide a foundation and balance. If a player is restricted by an opponent in a manner such that either his legs are pulled out from under his upper body, or his upper body is held so that his unrestricted legs move out from under him, he has “lost his legs.” In such cases, when these things take place at or close to the point of attack, you have a hold. Last April together with my friend and NFL umpire Jim Quirk (U #5), I watched about a half-hours worth of NFL films devoted exclusively to holding. The key to holding that they looked for was the blockee “losing his legs.”

Many college officials practice this philosophy as well. I personally see no reason why it can’t be used as your decision criteria in high school. Suppose two opponents are facing off at the line of scrimmage. The offensive player grabs a handful of jersey inside. The two continue to face off as the runner passes by them. The NFL calls this a “dance” and will most likely not flag it. But, if the defender in this scenario makes a move toward the runner and a real restriction to his movement is obvious, you’ll undoubtedly see a flag.

Unrelated to holding, if you want to see a model umpire hustle all over the field, numbers to numbers, to keep bad things from happening, watch Mr. Quirk (Mike S…just FYI, Quirk was the U in this past season’s Pro Bowl in Honolulu.)

Another tip for new umpires: When a low trajectory pass is thrown beyond the neutral zone, forget about the line and spin quickly toward the pass to be ready to help on a low catch/no-catch call where the covering official might be screened from the play. This usually happens in a 5-man game when a WR takes the wing man downfield and a low pass is thrown underneath to a TE or back either in the flats or coming short across the middle. The key to determining your role in helping is the wing man. If he needs help, he should be running toward the spot looking directly at you with a “deer in the headlights” look. But don’t help unless you’ve spun early enough to see the whole play—the approach of the ball and the catch/no-catch. If you have a catch run toward the spot giving no signal whatsoever; if you have no-catch, move toward the spot quickly emphatically signaling incomplete. You must sell that call!
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Long post...hope you don't mind

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M.
REPLY: To expand on the great points that Sleeper brought up regarding holding, I may have posted this before. If I did, please excuse…

“You can call holding on every play.” We’ve all heard it a hundred times. Personally, I don’t believe it. And even if you do believe it, and insist on calling it on every play, you won’t be calling it for very long. Offensive holding is certainly worthy of more discussion. Officials have heard many times that we should only call holding when it occurs at the point of attack, i.e. when it occurs at a place and time that may have an impact on the play. But that’s usually where the discussion ends. In my opinion, that’s exactly where the discussion should begin.

More needs to be said about what actually constitutes holding, what types of actions should be flagged. What are the "keys" you look for when you have a player suspect for holding? Let’s take a look at the wording of the Federation’s rule prohibiting “holding.”

NF 9-2-1c: “An offensive player (except the runner) shall not…(c.) Use his hands, arms or legs to hook, lock, clamp, grasp, encircle or hold in an effort to restrain an opponent.”)

I’ve always believed that the operative word in the rule is “restrain.” Unless the act restricts an opponent from moving toward the ball carrier (point of attack), I’d be inclined to let it go.

An NFL friend of mine told me what they look for when a player is suspect for holding at the point of attack: Look for the blockee to make an “unathletic move.” That is look for him to make a move that looks nothing like what an athlete might do if he were pursuing a runner in an unrestricted way. Examples: look for his shoulders to spin away from his direction of movement; look for his arm to be pulled away from the side of his body. And the big one…look for the blockee to “lose his legs.” This last one deserves a better description. When an athlete moves, he typically has his body over his legs, which provide a foundation and balance. If a player is restricted by an opponent in a manner such that either his legs are pulled out from under his upper body, or his upper body is held so that his unrestricted legs move out from under him, he has “lost his legs.” In such cases, when these things take place at or close to the point of attack, you have a hold. Last April together with my friend and NFL umpire Jim Quirk (U #5), I watched about a half-hours worth of NFL films devoted exclusively to holding. The key to holding that they looked for was the blockee “losing his legs.”

Many college officials practice this philosophy as well. I personally see no reason why it can’t be used as your decision criteria in high school. Suppose two opponents are facing off at the line of scrimmage. The offensive player grabs a handful of jersey inside. The two continue to face off as the runner passes by them. The NFL calls this a “dance” and will most likely not flag it. But, if the defender in this scenario makes a move toward the runner and a real restriction to his movement is obvious, you’ll undoubtedly see a flag.

Unrelated to holding, if you want to see a model umpire hustle all over the field, numbers to numbers, to keep bad things from happening, watch Mr. Quirk (Mike S…just FYI, Quirk was the U in this past season’s Pro Bowl in Honolulu.)

Another tip for new umpires: When a low trajectory pass is thrown beyond the neutral zone, forget about the line and spin quickly toward the pass to be ready to help on a low catch/no-catch call where the covering official might be screened from the play. This usually happens in a 5-man game when a WR takes the wing man downfield and a low pass is thrown underneath to a TE or back either in the flats or coming short across the middle. The key to determining your role in helping is the wing man. If he needs help, he should be running toward the spot looking directly at you with a “deer in the headlights” look. But don’t help unless you’ve spun early enough to see the whole play—the approach of the ball and the catch/no-catch. If you have a catch run toward the spot giving no signal whatsoever; if you have no-catch, move toward the spot quickly emphatically signaling incomplete. You must sell that call!
Bob, can I take the stuff about holding from here and post it under the articles on my site? I'd obviously credit you for the content.
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Good post Bob!

Dear Bob,

Great article on the philosophy of holding. Plus number 5 is one of the NFL umpires I like to watch on TV. Is there any way I can get a copy of the tape? I'd like to share your knowledge with our association.

Just to expand a bit on the other things the umpire has to do: I call this umpire-referee relations.

Before the ready for play, after setting the ball I'll look at my referee and make eye contact and announce the down and distance to him. I remember reading a great article by Ram hall of fame defensive tackle Merlin Olsen said about football being mostly a mental sport. He used to put data into his mind before every play: down and distance; i.e., okay, 3rd and long, get off the ball quickly on the snap, beat my man and get to the quarterback, etc. So as officials we need to constantly put data into our minds so we may properly react as the play unfolds. We need to think about our brains as a computer that will store and file away data that can be recalled at the needed time.

And communication is the key. We need to keep a nice steady chatter going with each other. Down and distance, clock status, penalty enforcement and choices, etc. A good umpire is like a waiter in a fine dining establishment: he serves the crew and quietly makes sure the game is running smoothly and steps-in quietly when things need correcting so everyone will enjoy the game the way it should be.

I already touched on player communication and this goes both ways: compliments at the right time and warnings at the right time can work wonders. But of course the flag needs to come out also if its really bad stuff or directly affects the play. I'm working on throwing fewer flags but making every one a quality flag.

And knowing how the human body works is so great. Thats why our own workouts can be a good mental drill to learning how our arms and legs work together. Like you were saying Bob, if the feet and the upper body of the holdee are moving at different rates of speed then you probably have a hold in progress. Then if you correctly picked up the point of attack and the offense gains an advantage then you have a foul.

Of course, a picture is worth a thousand words and hopefully you can tell me how to get a "hold" of that video or another one that shows the different forms of holding.

Thanks guys and good luck in your preparations for the season coming-up.
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Bob's points, continued...

Bob, regarding your points about the person being held making an unathletic move, I remember vividly one call I had last year where the center grabbed the defender by both shoulder pads (nothing subtle about it!) and then started turning the defender aware from the point of attack. The defender's upper body was being turned away from the point of attack while at the very same time the defender's legs were still moving towards the point of attack. It fits your descriptions perfectly and I sure do wish I had this one on tape. Both kids were big and strong: the center is going to play football at a small college in Oregon this fall and the linebacker he was blocking is a major college prospect. I explained to him why I called him and he was as polite and nice as can be! They scored a touchdown on the next play (I told him he was too good to be holding anyway).

Hey Bob M. let me know if you and #5 are ever coming over to Hawaii in the future. I would love to host both of you for an umpire's clinic! We have some good ones in our association and also some good referees (two of which are qualified to do WAC games and they do the annual Hula Bowl).
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks to all. Some really great stuff here that I cut and pasted for future reference. Please keep it coming and expand on any points already made. BTW, our association works a 4 man crew with no BJ. Does that change anything advised?
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
Umpire at Camp

I'm going to be working as an Umpire on a crew in Indiana coming up this fall. I have decided to go to a 1-day clinic that some guys are putting together for the second year in a row.

My question is, what should I expect to learn from this clinic, about being an Umpire. Should I expect to learn the same things as spoken on this thread, or will there be other things as well?

Thanks ahead of time for the info, Keep Talken!!
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
You'll have to ask that of the guys giving the clinic. We don't know where you are going, who is giving it, or what they intend to teach.
Having been an umpire for 29 years, it's the most fun place to be.
My recomendation to new umpires is that you start 8 or even 9 yards back at first. Get used t the players coming at you and what it looks like. If you were ever a linebacker you know this and can probably start closer.
But get used to what you are seeing and the flow of the game at the position before you move up closer. One the play is over go quickly (not batass out of hell) to the ball, if not too far beyond the hash. But don't go into the pile to quickly. Give the players a chance to move.
They are going to anyway and you don't want your head down there when the helmets start coming up. Besides, if you're in too close you won't see a lot of what goes on around the ball.
One last thing. When a running back comes at you you can back out, play matador to just stay still, the RB will avoid you. But watch out for QB's! For some reason QBs think they have to try to fake out the umpire as well as the defense. Then they get pissed when to let them have the place they faked to , and run into you in the other.

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Thu Apr 29, 2004, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

REPLY:

Mike Sears...by all means, feel free to post on your site.

Mike Simonds...Actually, I'm planning on coming over to the islands next spring/summer for a family vacation. If I do hear about Jim or Ed visiting the islands, I'll see if I can put them in touch with you.

Finally, I'm a LJ and BJ "by trade" -- not a U. I did have the opportunity to work two college games in 2002 as an umpire. At the beginning of the game, I saw this huge object in front of me. I was about to try to move it when I realized it was a defensive lineman! Somehow, I managed not to walk off any penalties incorrectly, not to pick off any linebackers on crossing routes, and I stayed out of the emergency room! A minor victory of sorts...