The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 13, 2004, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Jim has his “Uncle Ernie” and now an “Uncle Ed.” Consider me his “Cousin Bob.” No…I don’t live in the south, I’m not married to my sister, and I do have more than four teeth in my mouth. (No offense to the “dentally-challenged” out there!)

Here are a few plays to consider. I’d be interested in hearing everyone’s comments. They’re not foul and penalty enforcement type questions. Nor are they’re esoteric, academic plays. Rather they are plays you are very likely to see.

PLAY 1: A, 3/5 at B’s 15. A15 throws a pass to A88 near the sideline. Airborne A88 controls the ball above B’s 9. B22 contacts A88 and shoves him so that his first contact with the ground occurs out of bounds at B’s 12. Official feels that A88 would have come down inbounds if there was no contact. RULING:

PLAY 2: Same situation. A15 throws a pass to A88 running in the end zone near the sideline. Airborne A88 controls the ball above B’s end zone. B22, trailing the play, shoves A88 so that his first contact with the ground is beyond the end line. Official feels that A88 would have come down inbounds if there was no contact. RULING:

PLAY 3: Same situation. A15’s pass is controlled in the air by B22 near the sideline 5 yards deep into his end zone. Receiver A88 is behind (closer to the end line) him and shoves him forward (toward the field of play) so that his first contact with the ground is out of bounds 2 yards deep in the end zone. Official feels that B22 would have come down inbounds if there was no contact. RULING:

PLAY 4: Same situation except that airborne B22 controls A15’s pass near the end line. A88 shoves him backwards so that his first contact with the ground is beyond the end line. Official feels that B22 would have come down inbounds if there was no contact. RULING:

I’m going to be away for a long weekend. I’ll check back in on Monday.
Old Fri May 14, 2004, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

NCAA answer is incomplete pass for all situations.