LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 10, 2003, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Link:
http://www.ajc.com/highschool/conten.../11replay.html

By BILL SANDERS
Atlanta Journal-Constitution Staff Writer

The night started with a third-and-18.

And even the most casual fan could tell this was not your typical football game.

No coin toss. No opening kickoff. No first, second or third quarters.

Monday Night Football at Duluth High School was unique, to say the least. Never in Georgia had two teams met like this, replaying a portion of a game held days earlier.

For $2 you could watch 11 minutes, 51 seconds of football. And for two more bucks, you could enjoy the Duluth "Protest Special" at the concession stand: A hotdog, a bag of chips and a soda.

And the pre-game music played over the public address system? The theme song from "Shaft."

When the final 11:51 was over for the second time, Duluth had once again defeated Dacula and earned a spot in Friday's Region 8-AAAAA playoffs against Shiloh. The final, official score was 17-10, much to the delight of the cheerleaders, band members and the 500 or so sprinkled through the 10,000-seat stadium.

Nine days and 22 hours after James Westbrook was flagged and ejected for a personal foul, play resumed with Duluth facing a third-and-18 from its own 12-yard line. Duluth promptly got a 5-yard illegal motion penalty, making it third-and-23 from the 7.

Quarterback Dante Williams then hit Tyler Davis for 24 yards and the scoring drive was under way.

The historic replay came because an official wrongly ruled that the personal foul was a dead-ball penalty. Duluth was penalized 15 yards, but the yardage was marked off after the completion of a play in which Duluth had made a first down. So instead of it being third-and-18, officials said it was still a first down. Duluth went on to score and to an apparent 17-14 win.

Dacula protested, and Georgia High School Association executive director Ralph Swearngin upheld the protest.

Duluth coach Bill Shields, angry when the ruling came down, hadn't cooled off much by Monday night.

"We're having to replay something we already played," he said before the game. "I have to tell the kids what you did out there the final quarter didn't mean anything.

"I at least wish the GHSA had let us discuss this. I found out about it in a fax. We didn't get to say why we thought it shouldn't be replayed."

A bit of irony -- Dacula, which caused the replay Monday, now plays three-time defending state champs Parkview Friday night. On three days' rest.
Old Tue Nov 11, 2003, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Angry WHY ????????????

Who did they find to officiate it, and WHY did they agree to do it??????????????????????????

If anything, NOONE should have consented to oficiate it, based on the grounds of the appeal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Tue Nov 11, 2003, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Why wasn't the "mistake" fixed then? If the coach was aware of the mistake at the time, he should have made it known. I wonder if the other coach would have filed a protest had his team not scored and won the game. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Rule 3-5-2c. A time-out is requested and granted for the purpose of reviewing an official's application of a rule which may have been misapplied or misinterpreted.
Old Tue Nov 11, 2003, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

You guys need to read the other threads on this. The decision was challenged on the field, but still implemented incorrectly, at which point the coach protested (much in the way a protest is made in baseball or softball - where it's much more common due to the nature of the game).

Georgia's sports authority has provisions allowing for protests and for the replay of games under these circumstances. (This is the root cause of the problem, I believe - they need to get rid of this provision).

If the officials would have refused to work the game, I'm sure they would have been in violation of whatever contract they have with the Georgia sports authority, in that this game was being legally replayed due to the rules in place at the time.

It stinks to high heaven, but it is what it is.

It does provide some solace that the game was still won by the same team, and that the protesting team is now in worse shape due to their protest of the game, in that they will now be playing their toughest game of the year on short rest. Serves the coach / AD right (although it sucks for the kids).

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Nov 11, 2003, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mbcrowder
You guys need to read the other threads on this. The decision was challenged on the field, but still implemented incorrectly, at which point the coach protested (much in the way a protest is made in baseball or softball - where it's much more common due to the nature of the game).

Georgia's sports authority has provisions allowing for protests and for the replay of games under these circumstances. (This is the root cause of the problem, I believe - they need to get rid of this provision).

If the officials would have refused to work the game, I'm sure they would have been in violation of whatever contract they have with the Georgia sports authority, in that this game was being legally replayed due to the rules in place at the time.

It stinks to high heaven, but it is what it is.

It does provide some solace that the game was still won by the same team, and that the protesting team is now in worse shape due to their protest of the game, in that they will now be playing their toughest game of the year on short rest. Serves the coach / AD right (although it sucks for the kids).
Oops, sorry Mr. GHSA, I have another game/committment that night, and so do all the other officials!!!!!!! It is very easy. Booked games in advance, or have something going on wiht my family I can not miss or a work committment and all, you know how it goes.......

How does the state of GA do the protest thing? They are part of NF, according to NF. SO, how can a state break a rule 1-1-6 "..... the referees decisions are final". I have attempted to contact the NF on this but no reply. I would really like to hear theri version of this. Maybe I am in the wrong, but I did not think states could choose what part of the rule book to follow unless it is stated optional or something like that.

I just hope NO other state decided to follow this hiddious and rediculious behavior. I can only think what that will mean!
Old Tue Nov 11, 2003, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

The NF has so far remained silent - as they probably should... but I suspect there are some behind-closed-doors phonecalls being made from them. This is an embarrassment.

I doubt there were any other games scheduled on Monday this late in the season... and I seriously doubt the officials association could have gotten away with not sending a crew. It is, after all, a real varsity game, despite the circumstances.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Nov 11, 2003, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Nine days and 22 hours after James Westbrook was flagged and ejected for a personal foul, play resumed with Duluth facing a third-and-18 from its own 12-yard line. Duluth promptly got a 5-yard illegal motion penalty, making it third-and-23 from the 7. Quarterback Dante Williams then hit Tyler Davis for 24 yards and the scoring drive was under way.

In the related news story regarding whether or not a protest is upheld in Georgia, one of the four conditions is that it (the play or call) had a direct impact on the game. That's not too subjective, is it?

Yep - that call sure did have an impact on the game. They have an even bigger hole to dig out of and they still score. Man, justice was done that night. Great job, Georgia.

Old Tue Nov 11, 2003, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Duluth wins again after replay

I'm confused. Quote "the historic replay came because an official wrongly ruled that the personal foul was a dead ball penalty". Something is missing.Who decided the foul was not a dead ball foul? If a first down was made and a dead ball foul occurred, it would b first and ten after measurement. If the official making the call ruled it was dead ball, who made the decision this was wrong?
Old Tue Nov 11, 2003, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

I believe one of the articles says that the player punched him during the play making the personal foul a live ball foul.
Old Tue Nov 11, 2003, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sm_bbcoach

Oops, sorry Mr. GHSA, I have another game/committment that night, and so do all the other officials!!!!!!! It is very easy. Booked games in advance, or have something going on wiht my family I can not miss or a work committment and all, you know how it goes.......
That's all good in theory but truth be known, it doesn't work that way.

Quote:
How does the state of GA do the protest thing? They are part of NF, according to NF. SO, how can a state break a rule 1-1-6 "..... the referees decisions are final". I have attempted to contact the NF on this but no reply. I would really like to hear theri version of this. Maybe I am in the wrong, but I did not think states could choose what part of the rule book to follow unless it is stated optional or something like that.
The NF has no authority to prevent the GHSA from doing anything. The only action they could take would be to revoke their football voting privilege.

Quote:
I just hope NO other state decided to follow this hiddious and rediculious behavior. I can only think what that will mean!
It won't happen in my state. I forwarded the story to the state office and receive a reply assuring me that they would never do that.
Old Tue Nov 11, 2003, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
Nine days and 22 hours after James Westbrook was flagged and ejected for a personal foul, play resumed with Duluth facing a third-and-18 from its own 12-yard line. Duluth promptly got a 5-yard illegal motion penalty, making it third-and-23 from the 7. Quarterback Dante Williams then hit Tyler Davis for 24 yards and the scoring drive was under way.

In the related news story regarding whether or not a protest is upheld in Georgia, one of the four conditions is that it (the play or call) had a direct impact on the game. That's not too subjective, is it?

Yep - that call sure did have an impact on the game. They have an even bigger hole to dig out of and they still score. Man, justice was done that night. Great job, Georgia.

Maybe after they got their first down everyone should have said "well- I guess it didn't matter anyway, screw it- let's go home."
Old Sun Nov 16, 2003, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake~eyes
I believe one of the articles says that the player punched him during the play making the personal foul a live ball foul.
What was the original ruling. Dead ball personal foul and disqualification or unsportsmanlike conduct and disqualification?
Old Sun Nov 16, 2003, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

I beliefe it was Deadball PF and Disqualficaiton
Old Sun Nov 16, 2003, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

It was originally ruled a dead ball personal foul for punching and the player was disqualified.

This is a good case for having the rule book on the field.