The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 01, 2003, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

U did not move up to LOS when pass is read. We say he 'works his way up' to the LOS.

R somehow did not stay outside the QB on the passing arm side. I'd like to see where he was when the ball was snapped. No way could he have been lined up on the end or outside of the end. The result is that he is WAY out of position for the scramble. He may have to mark where the QB goes out of bounds, being that the HL is downfield (or should be!)

HL is indecisive. Can always come back upfield. Too many receivers for him to stay home. Upon read of the tackle, go downfield. Why only 3 yds downfield when you have a receiver going down your sideline?

BJ is in limbo. Make up your mind and don't ever let anyone get behind you.

As for the coach on the field, if any of the officials see that DURING this play, they aren't doing their job. Has to be pretty obvious for anyone to see it if they are doing their job.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2003, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by seanireland
But if the block is on the back of the shoulder pads at the shoulder it is not a block in the back. 2-5-2
Say what?
2-5-2 Blocking in the back is a block against an opponent when the initial contact is in the opponent's back, inside the shoulders and below the helmet and above the waist, and not against a player who is a runner or pretending to be a runner.

Perhaps the picture on p. 4 of the 2002 Simplified and Illustrated is outdated. The shoulders in the picture are of the player's shoulders, not the shoulder pads or arms. Whereas on p. 18 the frame is very specific (i.e. arms and shoulder pads).

SO, the definition says, "inside the shoulders" and the picture shows inside the shoulders, but the ""frame of the opponent's body is at the shoulders or below, other than the back."

If the whole back is a block in the back, then why does it specify areas in the back when the whole front and side are included in the frame? Why don't they just say, "Any part that is not in the frame?

I am not trying to be anything but an information sponge and you guys are the fountain of knowledge and experience. So, please help me get a real clear picture.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2003, 10:58am
Get away from me, Steve.

I like to use certain guidelines:

(1) The initial contact has to be between the shoulder blades, or if lower directly in the back. Any block that is below the waist is illegal, unless the FBZ provisions apply.

(2) The initial contact should cause (if hard enough) the runner to fall directly forward.

I give any doubt whatsoever to the blocker.

Rich