View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 30, 2003, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by davidfv1
Questions for Discussion:
-Was there a block in the back?
-What is your criteria for a block in the back?
-Look at the Officials in the clip (head linesman,referee, and back judge) Any comments on their position in a 5 man crew?
-If there was a block in back, who's call?
-Any other comments or discussion items seen in the play?
David
1. It was not a block in the back. The force of the contact drove the defender sideways, not forward onto his face.

2. Criteria is that force be almost entirely from behind. Blocker almost has to have both hands on the rear of the blockee to get the call.

3. Why do you exempt the U from analysis? Looks like he is in pretty good positon initially but then gets knocked backwards and out of synch by a dropping LB. Next time we see him he is way out near the hash, apparently looking towards sideline instead of the mass of blockers between he and the R. He is the one who probably should have been able to catch an illegal block by 50, had 1 taken place. R apparently got caught a bit too close so he gets out of synch trying to get out of the way as QB rolls. His concern has to be that QB so I don't see how we can fault him for anything (although I don't see a foul anyay). Looks like the H took his 5 yard drop and is holding. Some places might want him moving up to the LOS since the QB is now threatening a run his way. Can't see the L but I suspect he went downfield as it appears he had a wideout on his side who ends up catching the pass. BJ seems to be a bit too shallow and might oughta be back at the end line
4. Angle is kind of bad but sure looks like Red's coach is out on the field as QB rolls right to him. Potentially messy situation there.

[Edited by TXMike on Oct 30th, 2003 at 07:23 AM]