The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 23, 2019, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Illegal Shift Question

First off...Im a long time baseball guy who is a few years into football and enjoying the challenge and experience of football.

Had a situation pop up the other day regarding a shift and was looking for some clarification. In my mind, the rule and case book and the Reddings NFHS study guide are leaving me a bit confused. My questions are about the definition of an "interior lineman" and if a lineman/player puts one hand on the ground.

I am under the understanding that interior lineman can shift if they have not placed a hand on the ground (i.e. in a 3 point stance). Am I correct to think of the definition of an "interior lineman" as the two guards each next to the center or would this definition also apply to tackles and/or a tight end who is not on the end of their part of the line?

Lets say on one side of the line next to the Center is a Guard, Tackle, and a Wide Receiver who is on the line. Can that tackle and guard shift legally?

Is any player on the line who goes into a stance with one or both hands on the ground ineligible to shift and if they do, it is an illegal shift?

If I am missing anything else feel free to chime in, all help is much appreciated. Thanks!
Old Thu Oct 24, 2019, 12:01am
Do not give a damn!!

I do not want to get too detailed because I am not sure what the exact question is honestly. But a lineman, once they put their hand on the ground in a stance, lifting up that hand, would be a false start, not an illegal shift.

Interior lineman is usually a player in a position where they are on the line and has someone on both sides of them. A lineman can be a person that is in any stance, but not eligible by position, not just by number.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 24, 2019, 06:09am
Chain of Fools

2-32 Player Designations defines a lineman and a snapper. You will note Rule 2 doesn't define an end. An end is still a lineman but on the end of his line.

2-39 defines a shift.

7-1-7c tells us what "a player on his line between the snapper an a player on the end of his line" may do. After that particular player has placed his hand(s) on or near the ground, he can not move it and thus can not shift.

In your scenario of : C G T WR G & T may not shift once they've placed their hand on or near the ground. It would be a false start. The snapper (C), can't shift because he's locked in once he places a hand on the ball.

A G &/or T shift would have to be made in such a way that they do not simulate action at the snap.
Old Thu Oct 24, 2019, 07:28am
Official & ***** Member

To make it simple:

Any player may shift unless he is an interior lineman who has put one or both hands on or near the ground.

Any shift must be done in a manner that does not simulate the start of a play.
Old Fri Oct 25, 2019, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711 View Post
Am I correct to think of the definition of an "interior lineman" as the two guards each next to the center or would this definition also apply to tackles and/or a tight end who is not on the end of their part of the line?

Lets say on one side of the line next to the Center is a Guard, Tackle, and a Wide Receiver who is on the line.
"End" means end of what? End of the line. Tight or split, doesn't matter.

"Interior" means not on the end.

If you're still confused, looking down the line, the closest to one sideline is one end, and the closest to the other sideline is the other end. Everyone on the line in between is interior. If you have just 6 on the line, 2 are ends and 4 are interior line players. If you have 8, then 2 are ends and 6 are interior.

If you have just one on the line, he's the snapper and an end, and your team is still breaking from the huddle, I hope.
Old Fri Oct 25, 2019, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Everyone!