LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 24, 2018, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

I'm with Rich. This is not basketball.
Old Mon Sep 24, 2018, 11:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
When a receiving team player who is out of bounds is the first to touch a kick, the kicking team has caused the ball to go out of bounds. It does not matter if the ball is inside the plane of the sideline when it is touched.

Definitions here -- what gives the ball out of bounds status? 2-29-3 -- a loose ball is out of bounds when it touches anything, including a player or game official that is out of bounds.
I am not disputing that the ball would be out of bounds by rule, but for a penalty or foul purposes, I am not seeing where it says that K is responsible for that specific action. I know the kick is over and the ball is out of bounds, but did K technically cause it to go out of bounds? If R touches the ball and the ball goes out of bounds after them touching it, we do not penalize K for a Free Kick Interaction even though the status of the kick never ended otherwise?

We are not far off here, I am making a distinction as to why we have a foul here or not. I'm going to ask someone for clarification on this one to be comfortable. I agree that used to be the hard fast interpretation, but something tells me that changed for this means the R could be the only reason this foul takes place on K.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 24, 2018, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am not disputing that the ball would be out of bounds by rule, but for a penalty or foul purposes, I am not seeing where it says that K is responsible for that specific action. I know the kick is over and the ball is out of bounds, but did K technically cause it to go out of bounds? If R touches the ball and the ball goes out of bounds after them touching it, we do not penalize K for a Free Kick Interaction even though the status of the kick never ended otherwise?

We are not far off here, I am making a distinction as to why we have a foul here or not. I'm going to ask someone for clarification on this one to be comfortable. I agree that used to be the hard fast interpretation, but something tells me that changed for this means the R could be the only reason this foul takes place on K.

Peace
The rule does state:
"A free kick should not be kicked out of bounds between the goal lines untouched inbounds by R".

When was it touched INBOUNDS by R?

Also, I do have this play on Hudl....is there a way I can share it here?
Old Mon Sep 24, 2018, 01:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomes1978 View Post
The rule does state:
"A free kick should not be kicked out of bounds between the goal lines untouched inbounds by R".

When was it touched INBOUNDS by R?

Also, I do have this play on Hudl....is there a way I can share it here?
You can upload it elsewhere and put a link here. Or if there's a way to put a direct link here from HUDL, that's fine, too.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2018, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomes1978 View Post
He was not blocked out of bounds....he was out of bounds all by himself....but yes, it was obvious he knew he was out of bounds as he picked the ball up and did not try to run or anything.....
Did he wait to play the ball until he saw it come to rest? So the ball was at rest with no player attempting to play it? And the only player who tries to play it is one who was already OOB? Then ignore his touching it; this is a kick that's come to rest in the field of play with no eligible player attempting to play it. R's ball at that spot, no foul.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2018, 08:03pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Did he wait to play the ball until he saw it come to rest? So the ball was at rest with no player attempting to play it? And the only player who tries to play it is one who was already OOB? Then ignore his touching it; this is a kick that's come to rest in the field of play with no eligible player attempting to play it. R's ball at that spot, no foul.
For a kickoff to be at rest, I would have to see nobody coming after it since it's a ball that can legally be recovered by K. Even a player coming at a distance is going to get my benefit of a doubt.

In other words, my guess is that it wasn't sitting there long enough for me to make that ruling.
Old Tue Sep 25, 2018, 08:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For a kickoff to be at rest, I would have to see nobody coming after it since it's a ball that can legally be recovered by K. Even a player coming at a distance is going to get my benefit of a doubt.

In other words, my guess is that it wasn't sitting there long enough for me to make that ruling.
Over to you, Tomes. Did the other players hold up? Or was the player of R taking it so as to deny the possibility of possession by K?
Old Wed Sep 26, 2018, 07:08am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
If R is out of bounds, by rule this is a KOB.
I really don’t like this. A six-foot tall player lying prone could touch a ball that is at rest two yards from the sideline and cause a foul against K? Many teams angle kick & would love to have their KOs end up there.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2018, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Over to you, Tomes. Did the other players hold up? Or was the player of R taking it so as to deny the possibility of possession by K?
No players were holding up. K was well aware it was a live football and was coming hard for it! The R player purposely stepped out of bounds picked the ball and stood there.

R, like everyone else in the stadium, thought that kick was going to go out of bounds. It seriously hit the ground and took one small bounce and laid right there about an inch from the sideline. It was crazy!

Last edited by tomes1978; Wed Sep 26, 2018 at 07:37am.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2018, 07:53am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
I really don’t like this. A six-foot tall player lying prone could touch a ball that is at rest two yards from the sideline and cause a foul against K? Many teams angle kick & would love to have their KOs end up there.

It's the rule, suported by definitions and case plays.

If a player lays down and reaches out, I'm enforcing IP. It's in the bag of tools for obvious intentional plays of the ball.

I still wouldn't enforce IP in tomes's play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old Wed Sep 26, 2018, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Kinda like this?
https://youtu.be/zdw3Xj__eKA
Old Wed Sep 26, 2018, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Many years ago, this happened to us in a high school game. We kicked off, ball was bouncing near the sideline. R caught the ball, while standing out of bounds. Penalty was on us, the K team. Needless to say, not a popular call.
Old Wed Sep 26, 2018, 02:06pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie24 View Post
Many years ago, this happened to us in a high school game. We kicked off, ball was bouncing near the sideline. R caught the ball, while standing out of bounds. Penalty was on us, the K team. Needless to say, not a popular call.
Not popular, but correct.