The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 05, 2017, 03:55pm
In Time Out

NFL Consistency in Punishments

All three of those plays were flagged by the on-field officials, so maybe this isn't the right place to look for any further thoughts. I have a tough time seeing how all three of those result in a one-game suspension. While all three were penalized, there's also a clear order of which is the "most illegal," and it's obvious enough that I don't understand how the punishment for all three could possibly be equal.

In my view, the Gronkowski video is the only one that could have warranted an ejection. It's an intentional blow to the head of a player on the ground after the play is over. There's nothing "football" about it. The Iloka hit was clearly a solid helmet-to-helmet shot, but at least it was a football play. The Smith-Schuster hit on Burfict was largely shoulder-to-chest with some helmet-to-helmet contact. Appearances certainly weren't helped by the taunting penalty that followed, but I still don't see how it compares in any way to what Gronkowski did.

Slight off-topic. Has the Monday Night Football commentary been this brutal to listen to all year? Some of their comments on the officiating were more along the lines of what I'd expect to hear from Hawk or the Tigers' announce team. Stuff like "nobody's here to watch the officiating" and really just things I didn't expect to hear from a primetime commentary crew.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2017, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

The harsh reality, you seem to be having trouble accepting is, you don't have to understand. The judgment, as to which penalty applies is (usually) made by the calling official.

At the Collegiate level there are Re-play officials that have the authority to overrule on field judgments.

At the NFL it appears there is an additional level that has authority to apply additional consequences
Old Tue Dec 05, 2017, 05:37pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
The harsh reality, you seem to be having trouble accepting is, you don't have to understand. The judgment, as to which penalty applies is (usually) made by the calling official.

At the Collegiate level there are Re-play officials that have the authority to overrule on field judgments.

At the NFL it appears there is an additional level that has authority to apply additional consequences
lol what?

I think you're the one having trouble comprehending, since you basically didn't respond to anything in my post.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2017, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerUmp View Post

All three of those plays were flagged by the on-field officials, so maybe this isn't the right place to look for any further thoughts. I have a tough time seeing how all three of those result in a one-game suspension. While all three were penalized, there's also a clear order of which is the "most illegal," and it's obvious enough that I don't understand how the punishment for all three could possibly be equal.

In my view, the Gronkowski video is the only one that could have warranted an ejection. It's an intentional blow to the head of a player on the ground after the play is over. There's nothing "football" about it. The Iloka hit was clearly a solid helmet-to-helmet shot, but at least it was a football play. The Smith-Schuster hit on Burfict was largely shoulder-to-chest with some helmet-to-helmet contact. Appearances certainly weren't helped by the taunting penalty that followed, but I still don't see how it compares in any way to what Gronkowski did.

Slight off-topic. Has the Monday Night Football commentary been this brutal to listen to all year? Some of their comments on the officiating were more along the lines of what I'd expect to hear from Hawk or the Tigers' announce team. Stuff like "nobody's here to watch the officiating" and really just things I didn't expect to hear from a primetime commentary crew.
As you noted, your question doesn't pertain to anything that the officials control. Suspensions are purely administrative. I would suggest asking someone in administration these questions, as I surely wouldn't ask an MD how to win a case in court.

As for the commentary, it's been that way on and off for years. Some years it's more apparent than others, but it's always present.
Old Wed Dec 06, 2017, 12:43pm
Archaic Power Monger

This has nothing to do with officiating.