The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 02, 2017, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Fumble or not?

An interception when the clock reads 0:00 to end the game. The player tosses the ball on ground and no official sounds a whistle or waves arms to signal game over. I say game over as clock read 0:00 and change of possession. My son says with no whistle since interceptor tosses ball on the ground it's a live ball and can be picked and a possible score can occur?
Old Sat Sep 02, 2017, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref24 View Post
An interception when the clock reads 0:00 to end the game. The player tosses the ball on ground and no official sounds a whistle or waves arms to signal game over. I say game over as clock read 0:00 and change of possession. My son says with no whistle since interceptor tosses ball on the ground it's a live ball and can be picked and a possible score can occur?
If it was tossed forward, it's dead when it hits the ground. Period is not extended for this foul.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old Mon Sep 04, 2017, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
A perfect example of the difference between being ignorant, and stupid. You have the opportunity to correct your son's ignorance by providing him with the necessary, and relevant, information so he can reach the correct conclusion. If he refuses to consider, and ultimately accept, that correct information....you may have a bigger problem.
Old Tue Sep 05, 2017, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
A perfect example of the difference between being ignorant, and stupid. You have the opportunity to correct your son's ignorance by providing him with the necessary, and relevant, information so he can reach the correct conclusion. If he refuses to consider, and ultimately accept, that correct information....you may have a bigger problem.
I just lurk here (different sport), but I looked up the NFHS rule for ending a period and I don't see anything that would make the son wrong. Can you provide me a reference?
Old Tue Sep 05, 2017, 11:28am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
I just lurk here (different sport), but I looked up the NFHS rule for ending a period and I don't see anything that would make the son wrong. Can you provide me a reference?
Once you throw a forward pass and the ball hits the ground, the play is over because of an incomplete pass. You cannot pick the ball up and advance it from either team at this point.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 06, 2017, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Once you throw a forward pass and the ball hits the ground, the play is over because of an incomplete pass. You cannot pick the ball up and advance it from either team at this point.
But a priori it seems there's only a 50-50 chance of the pass's having gone forward.
Old Wed Sep 06, 2017, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
Yes. I read the OP as tossed the ball toward his own goal line or laterally and it seemed AJMC was suggesting that somehow the game would still be over.
Old Wed Sep 06, 2017, 02:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Yes. I read the OP as tossed the ball toward his own goal line or laterally and it seemed AJMC was suggesting that somehow the game would still be over.
He was not that specific. I was just saying a forward pass that hits the ground is clearly dead by rule. Of course, if you throw it backward, then the ball is live. But that was not stated in the OP either way.

Peace
Old Fri Sep 08, 2017, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I say game over as clock read 0:00 and change of possession.
Was this a try?
Old Sat Sep 09, 2017, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This sounds like an excellent parental teaching opportunity to underscore and explain that searching for an over zealous and immaterial presumed technical violation that adds absolutely nothing of actual value to the intent or practical application of a rule, can more easily subvert the intended purpose of the rule than in any way support it.

Perhaps the father was more interested in demonstrating that being right can often be more important than just not being proven wrong.
Old Sun Sep 10, 2017, 08:53am
Get away from me, Steve.

Or maybe it was just a question.

Sometimes a cigar is merely a cigar.