The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 28, 2017, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Breaking through rule misconceptions

What do you do when you just can't get people to see it? They're blinded by misconception, what they think the rule should be, not what the rule actually is.

For example (NFHS Rules):

B12 intercepts a pass in the end zone, tries to run it out but is tackled in the end zone. During the return, B49 blocks A89 in the back, in the end zone.

Thee result is not a touchback and the penalty is not enforced from the 20. THe result of the play is a safety.

But people can't be two rules together and arrive at the proper ruling.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Aug 28, 2017, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
What do you do when you just can't get people to see it? They're blinded by misconception, what they think the rule should be, not what the rule actually is.

For example (NFHS Rules):

B12 intercepts a pass in the end zone, tries to run it out but is tackled in the end zone. During the return, B49 blocks A89 in the back, in the end zone.

Thee result is not a touchback and the penalty is not enforced from the 20. THe result of the play is a safety.

But people can't be two rules together and arrive at the proper ruling.
I usually try to break it down to the simplest form for them. In this play, the basic spot is the 20. The foul occurred in the end zone, behind the basic spot, by the team in possession. Using all-but-one, this penalty is enforced from the spot of the foul, making it a safety.
Old Tue Aug 29, 2017, 05:02am
Do not give a damn!!

Stop worrying about it. I can only control myself and my crew. I do not have time to worry about what others want to do or cannot see.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 29, 2017, 05:52am
Official Forum Member

The result of the play, without the foul, is a touchback. Any foul by the team in possession that occurs in the team's end zone is governed by all but one enforcment. This is a foul by the offense! In the end zone.

10.4.4 Situation E is the closest I can find to a caseplay like this.

The relevant rule is 10-5-4

All but one penalty enforcement and Safety/Touchback are difficult concepts that require study. But, all officials must thoroughly understand them if they want to work football games.

See if a rule study group would work... you can't convince people if they arent willing to learn.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old Tue Aug 29, 2017, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Official View Post
I usually try to break it down to the simplest form for them. In this play, the basic spot is the 20. The foul occurred in the end zone, behind the basic spot, by the team in possession. Using all-but-one, this penalty is enforced from the spot of the foul, making it a safety.
Break it down as simply as possible but there's a stubbornness that exists when dealing with some that seems insurmountable.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Aug 29, 2017, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Break it down as simply as possible but there's a stubbornness that exists when dealing with some that seems insurmountable.
If that's the case and they're not willing to listen to reason, then JRut hit it right on the head.
Old Tue Aug 29, 2017, 11:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Official View Post
If that's the case and they're not willing to listen to reason, then JRut hit it right on the head.
You are always going to have these discussions with people unwilling to learn in a forum like this or even in an association meeting. I stopped trying to convince certain people for some time now. It is a waste of energy and if they are not on my crew or officials I work with, basic stuff like this is not my concern anymore.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 29, 2017, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Therein lies the difference between being ignorant, and stupid. Ignorance can be corrected and eliminated by simply providing the necessary additional information for clarification, and accepting it. Stupid is a whole different matter, and can last forever.