The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 01:42am
We don't rent pigs

Tonight at our association meeting we were going over the study guide as a group. Question 102. A1 dunks in pregame warmups. B1, who is not a starter, legally enters to attempt the free throws, replacing B2. After the free throws, B2 returns to the starting lineup. Ruling-Legal
A couple of guys, including the senior member of the group who was moderating the discussion, said true. I said no, I thought this was false, citing 3-3-4 "A player who has been replaced, or directed to leave the game shall not re-enter before the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has been started properly following his/her replacement.
They assured me that this rule did not apply here because
"the game had not started yet." They both seemed very certain, smiling and speaking to me in the tone that one might use in explaining something to a small child. "No, honey, the sun always rises in the east. You didn't see it come up over there, not even that one time." I was skeptical, but I let the matter drop. When I got home, I finally found the specific reference that I was looking for, but only in the simplified, illustrated book. p. 55
8-3 No. 11, who was not designated to start, legally enters to attempt one or both of the free throws. The replaced starter may not return until after the clock has run following the last free throw. Is there a reference to this specific situation in the rule book or case book?
My main point here is that we all must beware of doing something wrong for so long that we continue to do it because "we have always done it that way." In preparing for the test, this is an ideal time to discuss things with other officials, correct past mistakes, and, as applies in this case, debate countless obscure possibilities which we will probably never see in a game, but probably will see on a test.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by just another ref
... as applies in this case, debate countless obscure possibilities which we will probably never see in a game, but probably will see on a test.
Even if you only see it once, it's worth that discussion to get it right.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, but can you convice those "senior" guys that they were incorrect?
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 10:27am
certified Hot Mom tester

Lightbulb

Ask these "senior guys" this: if the game hasn't started yet, then you shouldn't count the points from the free throws, right?