The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 09:24pm
Administrator

NCAA approves new basketball rule

5/6/2002 (The Associated Press)

INDIANAPOLIS - The NCAA approved a basketball rule eliminating free throws during a bonus situation when a foul is committed by the team with the ball.
It was tried as an experiment in men's basketball last season and will be made permanent for men and women next season, the NCAA rules committees decided at their annual meeting last week in Palm Harbor, Fla.

"We discussed at length many items that were submitted to us, but for the most part we didn't change things much because we thought the rules were in good shape," Art Hyland, chairman of the men's committee and coordinator of officiating for the Big East Conference, said Monday.

Now, when a foul is committed by a player on the team with the ball, instead of shooting free throws, play will be restarted with the other team given possession. The change makes the penalty for such fouls during the bonus the same as for fouls committed by the player with the ball.

Another change for men's basketball includes a requirement that the two lane spaces closest to the free-throw shooter remain vacant to reduce the chance of distracting the shooter.

Report a Problem | Contact
© Copyright 1999-2001 NCAA®. All rights reserved worldwide.
Terms of Use. Developed by Expidant.

Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue May 07, 2002, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Greaaaaaaaaat . . .

I can see my first game of the season at book, calling for a 1-and-1 and forcing a (hopefully) correctable error!

Old Tue May 07, 2002, 09:56pm
Administrator

I must be going senile, the NCAA just recycled how we use to handle these fouls over 20 years ago per NBCOUSAC rules. The change was made in either 77-78 or 78-79, and it is too late to get out the rule books to look it up.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed May 08, 2002, 12:10am
certified Hot Mom tester

It seems to me that a much more equitable solution would be to shoot all offensive fouls after the bonus, including PC fouls, instead of eliminating all shots on offensive fouls.

As for the lane spaces, I like the NBA rule. Again, it seems equitable to me, and I think that should be an underlying factor in rules theory.
Old Wed May 08, 2002, 12:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
It seems to me that a much more equitable solution would be to shoot all offensive fouls after the bonus, including PC fouls, instead of eliminating all shots on offensive fouls.
Anything we can do to eliminate shooting FTs, I'm all for!
Old Wed May 08, 2002, 06:48am
Official Forum Member

What I like about this rule is that I would have a tendency to loose the shooter on these type of plays. (off ball screens, etc.) I guess I should just pay attention more.
Old Wed May 08, 2002, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
So if A1 is dribbling and A2 pushes B2: foul on A2, no FTs, possession to Team B.

But what if A1 is dribbling and B1 knocks it away so that A1 no longer has player control? Then A2 fouls B2 while trying to recover the loose ball. Does B2 get FTs? There's no player control, but there's still team control, right? So it seems like according to the new rule, we wouldn't shoot FTs. What does it mean for "the offense to have the ball"? Team control, or player control? Or doesn't it matter?

I'm just trying to get clear on exactly when FTs will not be shot.

I agree, by the way, that if the NCAA wanted to be consistent, they would shoot FTs on all fouls, even player control. That is a very strange exception. But for practical purposes, I like not shooting on any offensive foul.

Chuck
Old Wed May 08, 2002, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

"But what if A1 is dribbling and B1 knocks it away so that A1 no longer has player control? Then A2 fouls B2 while trying to recover the loose ball. Does B2 get FTs? There's no player control, but there's still team control, right? So it seems like according to the new rule, we wouldn't shoot FTs. What does it mean for "the offense to have the ball"? Team control, or player control? Or doesn't it matter?"

Chuck,
This would be similar to a "loose ball foul."

Section XVII-(NBA RULE BOOK)
"Team Control"
A team is in control when a player is holding, dribbling or passing the ball. Team control ends when the defensive team deflects the ball or there is a field goal attempt.

According to this, there is no team control in this situation. If you're in the penalty, (bonus) Shoot the free-throws.
This would be different if A1 fumbles the ball, then holds B1 back while trying to re-gain possession. This would be an offensive foul, as team control never ended.
Drake

Old Wed May 08, 2002, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Right, Drake. That's the NBA interpretation: a defensive bat ends team control. I already knew that, which is why I asked the question. Because in NCAA and NF, I think that team control remains in that situation. Which means, technically, that the offense still "has the ball" (since they have control). Hence my confusion. Do we shoot the bonus in that situation? Or do we treat it as the NBA "loose ball"; i.e., no team control?

Chuck
Old Wed May 08, 2002, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Looks like a rule clarification/change may be needed then?
Old Wed May 08, 2002, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Could this be a "held ball goes to the defense" quagmire?
Old Wed May 08, 2002, 12:08pm
Esteemed Participant

My bet is that we will get an official interp some time in September after all the summer camps try using this new rule and encounter this problem...also, my bet is that the Men's and Women's interps will be different...should be fun!!
Old Wed May 08, 2002, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

I really think it is rather simple.
Change the wording to reflect the NBA interp.
If the defense knocks the ball loose, no team control.
The only other problem is recognizing the foul when it happens as an offensive foul, not just a "loose ball type foul." This change also makes it so that a ball knocked loose by the defense which is then touched last by an offensive player, can be recovered by the offense in the backcourt with no violation. Sweet!
Old Wed May 08, 2002, 12:41pm
Esteemed Participant

You're right - that would be simple...but then, when has either the Fed or the NCAA been worried about the "simple" answer...they will end up with different interps for men and women and it will be very confusing...
Old Wed May 08, 2002, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

My own guess is that they will word it so that the rule will only be in effect while there is player control. That way you still shoot the bonus when there's a scramble for a loose ball, which seems right to me, but we don't have to change the definition of when team control ends.

[Edited by ChuckElias on May 8th, 2002 at 01:21 PM]