The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 31, 2016, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Controversial Play in MN 3A title game

IN the final minute of the Minnesota 3A title game the team in purple got a 1st down and a big gain on a 3rd and 22 play. There was debate whether or not the 2nd backward pass was forward or not. Thoughts on the play. even if a penalty had been called for an illegal forward pass the loss of down provision would not have applied as the ball would have been past the line to gain with the penalty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hze8cme-Ed0

Last edited by APG; Sun Jan 01, 2017 at 09:34am. Reason: embedding for everyone's convenience
Old Sat Dec 31, 2016, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't slow the video down, but it looks fine to me. Until the rules committee makes a case play (Fed) or approved ruling (NCAA), I feel free to interpret the rule as allowing for momentum -- as long as the player the ball is being passed to is behind the passer, it is legal. Trying to rule on where on the field the ball was when it was released vs. where it was caught is nearly impossible for officials at the speed of the play absent replay.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2017, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
I didn't slow the video down, but it looks fine to me. Until the rules committee makes a case play (Fed) or approved ruling (NCAA), I feel free to interpret the rule as allowing for momentum -- as long as the player the ball is being passed to is behind the passer, it is legal. Trying to rule on where on the field the ball was when it was released vs. where it was caught is nearly impossible for officials at the speed of the play absent replay.
I'm not familiar enough with NCAA rules, as you are in Texas, but FED rules do not "allow for momentum" and the relative position of the players has no bearing on the definition of a forward pass. By FED rules it is the direction of the initial flight of the ball with respect to the opponent's goal line that determines whether a pass is forward or backward. The pass in this play should have been ruled to be an illegal forward pass.

To put it in perspective, do not most forward passes - even those that are behind the line of scrimmage - allow for the movement of the receiver? Don't be fooled by the movement of the passer. The pass is thrown to arrive at the spot where the receiver will be, not where he was.

JMO
Old Sun Jan 01, 2017, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
You may feel free to interpret it that way, but I would say it's more ignoring rather than interpreting. I don't think there needs to be a case play or any odd clarification on 'momentum' when the black letter language is already very clear. As Middleman pointed out, it's the *initial* flight that counts, not some moving target with relation to the passer. The very definition of a backward pass says so:

"(rule 2-31) ART. 5 . . . A backward pass is a pass thrown with its initial direction parallel with or toward the runner's end line."

This ball was released at about the 34 and caught at about the 27. There is no possible way this was anything but a forward pass.

I can understand why it was missed, no one may have been at a great angle to see it with players all over the field and running very fast like this. But it was indeed a miss.

Last edited by scrounge; Sun Jan 01, 2017 at 09:47am.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2017, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Undoubtably an IFP, but the miss is explainable.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2017, 05:20pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Why does every missed call have to be a "controversy?"
Old Mon Jan 02, 2017, 12:34am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Why does every missed call have to be a "controversy?"
Very good question.

Peace
Old Mon Jan 02, 2017, 05:19am
Official Forum Member

Good play to look at. I can totally see why it was missed. It would have been backwards had the players both been standing still, and I would guess that the officials judged it that way. Obvious IFP from the video. Which officials do you think would be in the best position to see it? I would think it has to be the L or the H in a 5 man crew. I'm not sure anyone else would get it in a 7 man crew either.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old Mon Jan 02, 2017, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

In Usenet some years ago the consensus was that in rugby the ruling is as Texas Aggie would have it, relating it to the motion of the passing player rather than the absolute direction over the ground. However, the rules of all the major American football codes clearly go otherwise; they differ as to specifics, but all relate to absolute direction as referred to the field.

It's understandable that they'd want it otherwise in rugby if for no other reason that there's only the referee who can call a forward pass. If you're not close to the yard line of the passer in Fed, or able to identify the points of origin and then touching of the pass in NCAA, it'd be a lot easier for you to see whether the passer's putting the ball "behind him" than the absolute direction of the pass. However, even in rugby my understanding is that they'll call it a forward pass if the passer collides with an opponent immediately after releasing the ball, causing the ball to be more easily seen to be traveling ahead of the passer, in one of those momentum cases.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2017, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post

"(rule 2-31) ART. 5 . . . A backward pass is a pass thrown with its initial direction parallel with or toward the runner's end line."

This ball was released at about the 34 and caught at about the 27. There is no possible way this was anything but a forward pass. .
Perhaps "undoubtable" was the WRONG word to use, as your evidence contradicts your conclusion. As you correctly state, NFHS 2-31-5 defines a "backwards pass" as being determined by it's initial direction being (either) "parallel with or toward the runner's end line".

You might also consider, NFHS 2-31-2 which defines a forward pass as determined by "its initial direction TOWARD the opponent's end line.", which repeatedly viewing the provided video, suggests is clearly NOT the case, in this instance.

Once again, it seems until we are able to place a game official(s) floating above the field at the same angle, as multiple cameras, some of us need to accept the judgment of competent, experienced field officials, at ground level, operating in "real" time, rather than nitpicking at, what often proves to be, imaginary scabs..

Last edited by ajmc; Mon Jan 02, 2017 at 11:27am.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2017, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Perhaps "undoubtable" was the WRONG word to use, as your evidence contradicts your conclusion. As you correctly state, NFHS 2-31-5 defines a "backwards pass" as being determined by it's initial direction being (either) "parallel with or toward the runner's end line".

You might also consider, NFHS 2-31-2 which defines a forward pass as determined by "its initial direction TOWARD the opponent's end line.", which repeatedly viewing the provided video, suggests is clearly NOT the case, in this instance.

Once again, it seems until we are able to place a game official(s) floating above the field at the same angle, as multiple cameras, some of us need to accept the judgment of competent, experienced field officials, at ground level, operating in "real" time, rather than nitpicking at, what often proves to be, imaginary scabs..
What on earth are you blabbering about? No amount of odd capitalization or weirdly random bolding would make that any less nonsensical. It was clearly, indisputably a forward pass, and totally understandable why it would be very difficult to catch in real time given the speed of movement and placement of players and officials on such a play.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2017, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post

If you think its initial direction wasn't forward, what do you think produced such a strong change in direction while the ball was in the air? Wind?
Old Mon Jan 02, 2017, 11:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

It's not easy to get with microscopic precision, but the idea is to note the passer's yard line and the receiver's yard line -- if the crew had even gotten close on this, this would've been an obvious flag.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2017, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

I have no idea of the rule in any rule sets, but the factor many are not considering is the "downfield" velocity of the runner and thus the ball.

Assume the runner is carrying the ball at 14MPH (approx 6 seconds for 40 yards) and tosses the ball exactly parallel to the yard lines. The path of the ball prior to reception would be forward (with respect to the yard lines) with an initial velocity of 14MPH.
Old Mon Jan 02, 2017, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
I have no idea of the rule in any rule sets, but the factor many are not considering is the "downfield" velocity of the runner and thus the ball.

Assume the runner is carrying the ball at 14MPH (approx 6 seconds for 40 yards) and tosses the ball exactly parallel to the yard lines. The path of the ball prior to reception would be forward (with respect to the yard lines) with an initial velocity of 14MPH.
there's not really a need for physics, newtonian or otherwise....the runner may have imparted a force perfectly parallel to the end line with the toss, but if his running imparted another force forward, the initial flight of the ball will, indeed, be forward per the definition.

The ball was thrown at about the 35 yard line, it was caught at about the 27 yd line. Barring any post-toss forces like extreme and fortuitous wind, this was a forward pass. And completely understandable why it was missed - only replay could get this in all but the luckiest circumstances.