The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 18, 2016, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Umpire Calls PI when...

Question for umpires specifically and everyone else secondarily:

When would an Umpire ever call PI?

Our assignor worked a game where the U called this (as the R the assignor wasn't too keen on that) and so he wants to have a discussion about it at our meeting tonight. I thought I would see what you all had to say about it prior to that meeting?
Old Tue Oct 18, 2016, 01:18pm
TODO: creative title here

Never.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2016, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Never.
Thanks jTheUmp (which I assume means you are an Umpire)!

That was my response to the assignor when he asked me about it on the phone (full disclosure, I'm not and never will be an umpire).

I thought I would let the umpires speak to it here just in case they had a different opinion on it.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2016, 01:50pm
TODO: creative title here

If anyone wants me to elaborate, I have three big reasons why I'll never call pass interference from the umpire spot:

1) Since I'm in the middle of the field, and I turn when the pass is thrown... this means that if it's a short pass, I won't be turned in time to see the whole play. If it's a long pass, it'll be far enough away from me that the H, L or B will have a better look than I will anyway.

2) On a seven-person crew, you've got 3 officials (F, S, B) whose ONLY JOB is to watch action on eligible receivers, and 2 others (H and L) who share that responsibility for at least part of the time. On a 5-person crew, you still have 3 officials working that beat.

3) The first big-time NCAA clinic I went to, in the umpire breakout someone (not me) asked if there was ever a time that the U would throw a pass interference flag. The response from the Big 10 (now NFL) umpire leading the discussion: "No. Never. Not even if I'm 1000% sure and nobody else has a flag out. I'll never get a downgrade for not throwing on a pass-interference foul, but I probably will get downgraded if I do throw one, even if I turn out to be right"
Old Tue Oct 18, 2016, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

I think this is old-school and outdated thinking. While the U won't ever be the *primary* person, if he sees it and is sure...someone needs to step up and save the crew. Be sure, and then be double sure. But to say 100% never? No, that's ridiculously simplistic IMO.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2016, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
I think this is old-school and outdated thinking. While the U won't ever be the *primary* person, if he sees it and is sure...someone needs to step up and save the crew. Be sure, and then be double sure. But to say 100% never? No, that's ridiculously simplistic IMO.
Think about it...what are the odds that U is sure and correct at the same time where at least three others are incorrect?
Old Tue Oct 18, 2016, 02:37pm
Chain of Fools

In a 3 man crew.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2016, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Think about it...what are the odds that U is sure and correct at the same time where at least three others are incorrect?
How do you know they're incorrect? Maybe they just didn't see it or were watching others. Very unlikely in 7....unlikely but very possible in 5. Consider a 4 receiver pattern, 2 WR (one on each side), a slotback and a TE. Backside WR isn't really involved but will take the backside wing's attention. Slotback runs a post, getting the BJ's attention, other WR runs an out, with the other wing watching him. The WR and slot's job is to draw the DB's deeper to clear out the TE for a button hook. The BJ should get that too...but might not. The U probably won't...but might.

I'm not saying by any means that the U should be looking at it as a primary...but he very well could see that and needs to save the crew if he does and the others don't. I'm not talking about just a run of the mill PI, but rather the big, elephant PI that everyone except the wing and BJ saw - for whatever reason - with the stadium exploding, the kind that gets you on youtube. The 1 every 2 years or so kind of big, missed call (hopefully just that rare). SOMEONE has to get that, and the U may very well be in the best position.

Not all of us have the luxury of 7 man crews. And some unfortunate souls are still stuck with 4 man crews for varsity games. This blanket, I don't care if I see it, I'm not throwing it, is silly IMO.

Last edited by scrounge; Tue Oct 18, 2016 at 03:45pm.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2016, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

3) The first big-time NCAA clinic I went to, in the umpire breakout someone (not me) asked if there was ever a time that the U would throw a pass interference flag. The response from the Big 10 (now NFL) umpire leading the discussion: "No. Never. Not even if I'm 1000% sure and nobody else has a flag out. I'll never get a downgrade for not throwing on a pass-interference foul, but I probably will get downgraded if I do throw one, even if I turn out to be right"[/QUOTE]

I'm dealing with 4 and 5 man mechanics, and although an Umpire calling a PI foul should be exceedingly rare, being 1000% sure about ANYTHING is going to get a flag.

Although it depends on where and what level you're working at, those of us who allow themselves to get excessively concerned about "downgrades", or hesitate because you're worried about how you might look on film, perhaps Interscholastic officiating is not the right spot.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2016, 04:11pm
Archaic Power Monger

Even in four or five man mechanics there is not a conceivable time when I would throw on a PI. I had a play earlier this year when as U I turned on a short pass, saw what I thought was pretty clear OPI and reached for my flag. I then said to myself "WTF are you doing?" and stopped.

The reasoning given at the clinic is spot on. We get in much more trouble for what we throw than what we don't. Like it or not, film is used here and it matters. I'd rather keep my boss happy and work a full schedule of games that don't involve me traveling to BFE every week.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2016, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

My clinicians advice:

OPI, maybe, if it's your key blocking down field.

DPI, how do you see enough of the play to put it in a category, and if you can't put it in a category, it ain't a foul.

I've seen a number of plays in 7-man (I don't work U in 5 man) where as U I was the only guy who saw the hook part of a hook and turn, but I'm not putting my flag on it. I did have a situation where my BJ had a flag down and I was able to confirm for him the hook.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2016, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Has anyone ever discussed or considered using a discreet signal by which the U can suggest to another official he saw something that might have been missed, or alternatively a signal that the rest of the crew can use to ask the U for help on a PI situation. Could be something simple like the U grabbing the belt buckle to say I think I saw something. Or likewise the B could do the same thing and a quick nod from the U could confirm. I realize there is a lot going on in a short period and we don't want a flag to come out super late in a PI situation, but if practiced could something like this be done? Never heard of this but it came to me as I was reading the other posts because I've also been instructed that the U should just about never flag PI. The "just about" part was followed some cliche "I never say never" or "there is always an exception" type statement, but the point was clear...don't call it.

Generally speaking I think the only plays where the U would even be in the best position to see PI are on plays where a TE tries to clear out a LB where a back runs a route right behind him in the vacated space or on plays where a back appears to move up into the line to block and then slips out for the little 3-4 yard curl for a dump off pass. Those plays pretty much occur right in front of the U, but even then the B, L, or H should be able to get them.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2016, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

I don't believe a U will ever call PI. Why, he won't see the contact from beginning to end as is necessary to make the call. He will spin after the pass is thrown to assist with catch/no catch and won't see the entire play.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2016, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Absolutely not. Never. You never say never, but in this case you say never.

The only thing closer to a never is the umpire should never signal TD. There are two instances I can think of where they could though. The first is a fumble in the field of play and recovery by the offense in the end zone near the umpire. This has happened twice to me, and both times I told the BJ to signal since he was part of uncovering the pile. The second is a fumble on a kick return and the kicking team returns it for a TD on the U side.

If a U flags DPI it's a clear indication he's new or has not received proper training or ignores all training.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2016, 05:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Never unless you are working 4 man mechanics. Otherwise, focus on blocking and maybe a catch over the middle if you can pivot.

Peace