The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 10, 2016, 09:37am
I Bleed Crimson

Player OOB

Related question. I didn't want to start a new thread since it play happened in the WSU/Stanford game last year. But I wanted clarification on the OOB rule for NCAA.

A5 is running down the sideline. He is tackled and the ball comes loose. A5 is OOB while attempting to secure possession and touches the loose ball which is still IB. Is the ball still live?
Old Mon Oct 10, 2016, 12:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

The ball is considered out of bound the moment the ball is touched by a player out of bounds. So it is dead and the play is over and in possession with the team last in possession. Same rule in HS and college.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 10, 2016, 12:28pm
Archaic Power Monger

Moved this to its own thread because I'd rather keep the topics separate and we don't have enough traffic here as it is.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2016, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The ball is considered out of bound the moment the ball is touched by a player out of bounds. So it is dead and the play is over and in possession with the team last in possession. Same rule in HS and college.

Peace
Don't confuse this with a ball in a runner's possession. In this case the runner and/or the ball is not OOB when only touching: A) a player who is OOB, or B) an official that is OOB. 2-29-2.
Old Thu Oct 13, 2016, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTUMP View Post
Don't confuse this with a ball in a runner's possession. In this case the runner and/or the ball is not OOB when only touching: A) a player who is OOB, or B) an official that is OOB. 2-29-2.
Maybe I'm missing your point... but this seems to be a rather bizarre non-sequitur to what we're discussing.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Oct 13, 2016, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Maybe I'm missing your point... but this seems to be a rather bizarre non-sequitur to what we're discussing.
I admit I had to look up non-sequitur, but hopefully it's not that bizarre. I was merely responding to JRut's statement that a ball touched by a player OOB makes the ball dead. I understand that statement is correct if there is a loose ball which is in the thread of this play.

However, I've discovered confusion with new officials coming into our pool, especially those with a basketball officiating backgrounds, that assume any time the ball is touched by someone OOB, the ball is OOB/play is dead. In a different scenario that I suggested- with the ball in player possession that is in bounds- that is not necessarily the case, right? B22, who is OOB, touches ball in Runner A5's possession (who is in bounds)....Play on.

Sorry for the confusing add-on.
Old Fri Oct 14, 2016, 07:52am
Official Forum Member

Fair enough... (I would add that Jeff is very much NOT a newby).

West Houston Mike
Old Sat Oct 15, 2016, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

I think both of these points just happened in the Ohio State/Wisconsin game. OSU defender (who I think was OOB while trying to make the tackle) forces a fumble that appears to be picked up by the defense. After review, they determined the loose ball touched the offensive player while he was touching OOB.
Old Mon Oct 17, 2016, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Fair enough... (I would add that Jeff is very much NOT a newby).
Agreed, I've seen and learned from JRut's knowledge for a long time in various forums....I was referring to our local officials pool in Montana.