The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 13, 2016, 11:26am
Do not give a damn!!

Here is the play and the ending embedded.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 13, 2016, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

yea, it wasn't to conserve time, quite the opposite...but it WAS to conserve yardage in a sense; that is, not getting sacked and giving the other team any yardage. I'm perfectly fine with the call, but the enforcement? Oy.

But it made choosing a topic for our pre-game this week pretty easy!
Old Tue Sep 13, 2016, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Forgive me, but what part of NFHS 7-5-2-e "An illegal forward pass is a foul. Illegal forward passes include:
a
b
c
d
e. A pass intentionally thrown incomplete to save loss of yardage or to conserve time."

does NOT apply specifically to the action described in this situation?
None of them do.
Quote:
The key differential between this play and your example seems to be intent, as determined by the covering official (duly empowered to render such judgments).
Exactly, that's what I'm saying. It was not intended to save yardage or time.
Old Tue Sep 13, 2016, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrounge View Post
yea, it wasn't to conserve time, quite the opposite...but it WAS to conserve yardage in a sense; that is, not getting sacked and giving the other team any yardage.
No, it wasn't to conserve yardage. They'd've been happy to concede the yardage had time already elapsed. What not getting sacked did was keep the ball live for a few more secs.
Old Tue Sep 13, 2016, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
None of them do.

Exactly, that's what I'm saying. It was not intended to save yardage or time.
Robert, it was intended to DEPRIVE the opponent with the opportunity to make a play during the time remaining in the contest, by throwing what was clearly an Illegal pass.

The could have (perhaps should have) elected to take the snap and choose to elude the opponent, on the field of play, until time legitimately expired. Sometimes the "easy answer" can surprise with unanticipated consequences.
Old Tue Sep 13, 2016, 07:51pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Robert, it was intended to DEPRIVE the opponent with the opportunity to make a play during the time remaining in the contest, by throwing what was clearly an Illegal pass.

The could have (perhaps should have) elected to take the snap and choose to elude the opponent, on the field of play, until time legitimately expired. Sometimes the "easy answer" can surprise with unanticipated consequences.
It wasn't an illegal pass. That is irrelevant, it doesn't even matter if it is intentional grounding, the crew still erred and misapplyed a penalty.
Old Tue Sep 13, 2016, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What made the pass illegal?
Quote:
The could have (perhaps should have) elected to take the snap and choose to elude the opponent, on the field of play, until time legitimately expired.
Or they could've done the same pass backwards, to exactly the same effect, and then nobody would've even raised illegal forward pass as a possibility.
Old Tue Sep 13, 2016, 10:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

For the record, the U on this game came to our meeting tonight and talked about the situation. I know I learned from his speaking on the matter.

For the record, the crew did not know they made the mistake until they were in the locker room for about 5 minutes. The guy that does the media timeouts apparently relayed to them that Mike Pereira was going off about this in the broadcast and quoting the rule. Then the crew started looking it up in the rulebook for themselves to read what he was referencing.

The bottom line the crew feels awful and this official wanted to make sure we all learned from their mistake. So now this is why you have to be able to step up and take the lead or raise the questions so that the crew does not look bad. One of the 10 might have saved this crew if they just stopped for a second to think about what they were going to do.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 14, 2016, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What made the pass illegal?
In the NCAA rules, intentional grounding IS an illegal forward pass, so the fact that a grounding foul was called made it illegal.

There are different enforcement procedures for different kinds of illegal forward passes, but 7-3-2 talks about illegal forward passes and the intentional grounding rule is in that section.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2016, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
In the NCAA rules, intentional grounding IS an illegal forward pass, so the fact that a grounding foul was called made it illegal.
But it didn't satisfy the requirements to call it intentional grounding.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2016, 10:23am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
For the record, the U on this game came to our meeting tonight and talked about the situation. I know I learned from his speaking on the matter.

For the record, the crew did not know they made the mistake until they were in the locker room for about 5 minutes. The guy that does the media timeouts apparently relayed to them that Mike Pereira was going off about this in the broadcast and quoting the rule. Then the crew started looking it up in the rulebook for themselves to read what he was referencing.

The bottom line the crew feels awful and this official wanted to make sure we all learned from their mistake. So now this is why you have to be able to step up and take the lead or raise the questions so that the crew does not look bad. One of the 10 might have saved this crew if they just stopped for a second to think about what they were going to do.
Thanks for relaying this, Jeff. It's still hard for me to believe that a crew of D-I officials could get this wrong. If it could happen to them, it could certainly happen to my crew on a Friday night.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2016, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jake View Post
Will heads roll

Yes
Old Wed Sep 14, 2016, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
I'm wondering how the MAC is officiating a Big 12 home game? Doesn't the home conference cover the contest?
Often when a team plays on the road out of conference, their league officials come with. The replay was big 12.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2016, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
There is no across the board policy. Often the visiting team brings in a crew, but some crews like the Pac-12 do not allow any other crews to come on their fields (at least that has been their policy for some time). Usually the teams not in the Power 5 are allowed to bring their crews in a visiting game. Now that being said, the MAC is apart of the consortium that involves the BIG and the Missouri Valley.

I am sure this entire situation will be talked about at our meeting on Tuesday. I am just wondering are any of the officials on this game from my area?

Peace
As you now know, yes.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2016, 11:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But it didn't satisfy the requirements to call it intentional grounding.
Maybe not, but I thought you were making a distinction between an illegal forward pass and intentional grounding. IG is a form of an illegal forward pass. Many don't know this, especially as it relates to using this rule instead of an illegal touching foul -- when there is no eligible receiver in the area and the QB throws it to a guard or tackle. If the QB is still in the pocket or the pass doesn't cross the line, the correct call is illegal forward pass rather than illegal touching.