The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 09, 2016, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

My favorite question/response in this category came from this board.

Coach: How many of their players are allowed downfield at the time of the punt?
L: Ten.

I'm sure that confused the heck out of him.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2016, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Mic helps a lot.

Had a field mic last week and was able to say, "Pass Interference, defense, 15 yards is enough for a first down, under high school rules there is no exception for an uncatchable pass." Afterwards the AD thanked me for that.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2016, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

"an ounce of prevention......."
Old Mon Sep 12, 2016, 01:17pm
TODO: creative title here

The only times we've had field mics around here are either at the state semi-finals and finals or on the rare game that's being broadcast or tape-delayed on one of the local public access channels. And in the later case, the field mic is only for the TV broadcast; it's not hooked up to the PA system on the field.

Good luck getting any schools to spend the money on a mic.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2016, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorrydog View Post
Had it 3 times yesterday in a JV game. QB actually threw it in the stands and yes he had a receiver on the SL but gee, give me a break. He threw it away to not get sacked. Coach came unglued.
Had this last week on a FRI night. Kid scrambles toward his own sideline, dumps it over entire bench and onto track behind team box, players, the whole smear......not a receiver within 20 yards. QB and asst. coach start coming unglued about being outside the pocket. (That's just the first one.)

Less than a minute to go in 2nd qtr., 4th and goal at opponent's 7, pass interference (kid was mugged) on DEF in the EZ. We go half the distance and replay 4th down. Coach calls timeout because he thinks we have erred....wonders why the ball is not at the 1 YL and ALSO says it should be a first down. (That's #2....and #3 if you have the chalk in hand.)

It has always been my understanding that at least for the last decade of the 2 plus decades I've been doing this that HCs at the varsity level are required to take the same test we are. There is no way....no way, that this is happening...(In my best Buford T. Justice voice)
Old Mon Sep 12, 2016, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
The only times we've had field mics around here are either at the state semi-finals and finals or on the rare game that's being broadcast or tape-delayed on one of the local public access channels. And in the later case, the field mic is only for the TV broadcast; it's not hooked up to the PA system on the field.

Good luck getting any schools to spend the money on a mic.
Some do around here in SE WI. Week 1 I was mic'd and had one for TV that stays live in the truck the whole time and they only pull up the mic feed during TO's & penalty calls.

I've done the AAYFL (youth) championship here 3 times and I was mic'd up at one site. I have gotten comfy with it over the years but would prefer to not be mic'd if I had my choice.
Old Mon Sep 12, 2016, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Heat View Post
Some do around here in SE WI. Week 1 I was mic'd and had one for TV that stays live in the truck the whole time and they only pull up the mic feed during TO's & penalty calls.

I've done the AAYFL (youth) championship here 3 times and I was mic'd up at one site. I have gotten comfy with it over the years but would prefer to not be mic'd if I had my choice.
It would really be nice, if detailed explanations would satisfy those who demand them, unfortunately, they also serve to simply provide additional minutia to argue about.

It seems spending more time, effort and money to explain "Whining", only serves to encourage more whining.