The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 21, 2005, 08:22pm
Official Forum Member

This play happend in a game refereed by a friend last Friday night.
K's grounded scrimmage kick is touched beyond the NZ expanded by K1. R1 blocks K2 in the back. K3 recovers the kick and the covering official kills the play upon posession by K3. Ruling? I thought that the case book had this play or a similar one, but I cannot find it.
Old Sun Aug 21, 2005, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jack015
This play happend in a game refereed by a friend last Friday night.
K's grounded scrimmage kick is touched beyond the NZ expanded by K1. R1 blocks K2 in the back. K3 recovers the kick and the covering official kills the play upon posession by K3. Ruling? I thought that the case book had this play or a similar one, but I cannot find it.
R cannot take the ball at the spot of 1st touching cuz they fouled after the 1st touching occured.

This is a PSK foul, as all 5 requirements were met, so the 10 yard penalty will be enforced from the end of the kick (where ever K3 recovered the ball) and it will be 1-10 for R.
Old Sun Aug 21, 2005, 09:31pm
Official Forum Member

That is what I thought. Was hopeing someone could point me to a casebook play or an interpretation to support that ruling. In the game that this happened, it was not ruled PSK because K was in posession when the down ended - but is this not just a technicality since, if no foul had occured, the ball will be awarded to R just like if the ball had rolled OOB or stopped in the field of play with no player of R or K attempting to posess the ball.
2-16g5 states "And K does not have posession of the ball when the down ends and will not be the next to put the ball in play". If you say that K's recovery of the ball caused the down to end, that supports the argument that this would not be PSK enforcement.
Old Sun Aug 21, 2005, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jack015
That is what I thought. Was hopeing someone could point me to a casebook play or an interpretation to support that ruling. In the game that this happened, it was not ruled PSK because K was in posession when the down ended - but is this not just a technicality since, if no foul had occured, the ball will be awarded to R just like if the ball had rolled OOB or stopped in the field of play with no player of R or K attempting to posess the ball.
2-16g5 states "And K does not have posession of the ball when the down ends and will not be the next to put the ball in play". If you say that K's recovery of the ball caused the down to end, that supports the argument that this would not be PSK enforcement.
The key to the last point of PSK is not that K possessed the ball, but that they will not be next to put the ball in play. If K downs the ball, PSK is still in effect as long as they will not be putting it into play.
Old Sat Aug 19, 2006, 07:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bmmr52
scrimage kick

for mjt , your ruling is correct except for 1st touching, if a foul is committed by r and the penalty is accepted, then the spot of first touching is ignored.

but if k was pushed into the ball, then you have no first touching at all.the foul if accepted would then be administered from either the spot of the foul or where the ball became dead..