View Single Post
Old Wed Sep 07, 2016, 03:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Since R "tries to recover the punt beyond the LOS", I am going to read that as R touched it beyond the line. It is literally K-atie bar the door at that point. As scrounge aptly put, K can recover and even advance if it wound up recovered behind the line or K can pass it, or kick it again, behind the line and guess what? If it falls incomplete, it's still their ball. Line to gain has no significance at this point.

As a old WH used to tell us in pre-game, if R touches it, it's a first down for somebody at the end of the down.

R's touching of a low scrimmage kick is ignored.
As a one-time (as in two fill-in games) official, can you explain this part? I know a backwards pass is always legal, but I don't understand how, after a R-touched kick recovery, a K-team could attempt a forward pass (incomplete) and still have possession have the end of the play. I don't own a recent rule book, so if you can explain it in layman's terms AND give a rule cite, I'd be appreciative.