The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 22, 2016, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Game Fees and Suspended Contests

Curious what other states/conferences do in regards to paying two game fees when a contest is delayed because of weather and then finished the next day?

One game fee, or do you recieve two, or even 50%?
Old Mon Aug 22, 2016, 11:49am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu4scott View Post
Curious what other states/conferences do in regards to paying two game fees when a contest is delayed because of weather and then finished the next day?

One game fee, or do you recieve two, or even 50%?
Here it would be a local decision.

If our crew didn't receive a second check we likely wouldn't be available to work.

If another crew comes, they'll get a check, after all.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2016, 02:46pm
Chain of Fools

If we show up on site, it's half game fee if the game never gets started. Unless you have another assignment, you are expected to work the make up for full fee.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2016, 03:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

There is no state policy unless it involves the playoffs. Basically this is handled differently by each school or conference. If you start any game you will very likely get paid. If you show up and the game is never started, that is up to the school to decide what they are going to do at that point. I have been paid the entire fee to not getting even half of the game fee during a suspended or postponed game.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 22, 2016, 03:30pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm a conference commissioner and we have this covered in our bylaws.

If a crew shows up, it's a full game fee.

If the game is suspended and there's another day, it's a full game fee.

We don't pay mileage.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2016, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

I worked a game FRI night here....we never got past the halftime break. - Will get full game check.

I got a call early Saturday and finished a full 2nd half with another fellow crew after suspension of game the night before. - Will get full game check (no contract issued / no time to put them together)

Received another contract on Sunday a.m. to finish the game we suspended for lightning on FRI - Will get another full game check for finishing the second half.

Only seems right, IMO....driving both ways 30 miles for two nights worth....and this venue/conference pays $55 per. Next 2 weeks we are at $70 per. <----That's the part that boggles my mind, but I've always said....if you're doing this for the money, there are better avenues.

Last edited by Canned Heat; Tue Aug 23, 2016 at 02:52pm.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2016, 02:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Heat View Post
I worked a game FRI night here....we never got past the halftime break. - Will get full game check.

I got a call early Saturday and finished a full 2nd half with another fellow crew after suspension of game the night before. - Will get full game check (no contract issued / no time to put them together)

Received another contract on Sunday a.m. to finish the game we suspended for lightning on FRI - Will get another full game check for finishing the second half.

Only seems right, IMO....driving both ways 30 miles for two nights worth nets a guy about $12 an hour all in by the time you're done....and this conference pays a whopping $55 per.
Come work for us. $75 next year.
Old Tue Aug 23, 2016, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I saw that, and we will have a few of those. I have 3 contracts for 2018 in hand already. I do like that we get all over though. Some darn good football and not the same programs every third week.

Our underclassman games are still on the lowest level scale I've seen anywhere and in probably the highest GDP area of this state, I'll assume you know the conference. We will probably back out of that next year if the programs don't do it for us. They dropped another game off our schedule this week with Cedarburg's JV not having enough to field a team against Sussex Hamilton on THUR night. That's 5 teams out now in the conference between FR & JV squads. Football in a lot of areas statewide here is not in a good way right now.
Old Fri Aug 26, 2016, 11:37pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Worked a game tonight and got $90 a man, 5 man crew.
Old Sat Aug 27, 2016, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
If we show up on site, it's half game fee if the game never gets started. Unless you have another assignment, you are expected to work the make up for full fee.

The NCHSAA is very good about protecting officials in this manner.

As HLinNC stated, we get 1/2 game fee if we show and the game doesn't start.

Also, we get:
Full game fee once we kick off.
Full game fee if we have to finish the game at a later date.
Full game fee if we get to the site but the school has cancelled the game without notifying the assignor.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Sep 01, 2016, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

In my opinion, the way it should be is as follows:

-- game cancelled well ahead of time and no one shows up: no fee; certain conditions for officials who aren't rescheduled are possible, which would depend on the circumstances

-- officials show up always means mileage

-- game cancelled prior to start = mileage plus SOME fee (half is appropriate, but this can be debated)

-- game suspended/cancelled after start = full fee and mileage

-- game continued later = 2x mileage and at least full fee PLUS SOME more

Reasons for suspension/cancellation really don't matter. Most of these, by definition, are out of control of the schools involved.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2016, 03:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
In my opinion, the way it should be is as follows:

-- game cancelled well ahead of time and no one shows up: no fee; certain conditions for officials who aren't rescheduled are possible, which would depend on the circumstances

-- officials show up always means mileage

-- game cancelled prior to start = mileage plus SOME fee (half is appropriate, but this can be debated)

-- game suspended/cancelled after start = full fee and mileage

-- game continued later = 2x mileage and at least full fee PLUS SOME more

Reasons for suspension/cancellation really don't matter. Most of these, by definition, are out of control of the schools involved.
We had a school cancel a program due to low numbers this year. In that conference, the school is responsible for paying the full officials fee both home and away, cause it's likely the crew(s) involved will not be able to fill those dates. That's $2100.
Old Mon Sep 05, 2016, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

We get full game fee plus travel. Metro area travel is only $10. If we have to come back to finish, we only get travel but we are not obligated to work the game. Only happened once in 9 years (lovely Phoenix, should only be in 90's next week). Varsity 5-man crew is $70 +$10 for travel in metro area. Outside pays mileage. One location that takes me about 40 mins from my home pays $35 mileage. Some metro schools on opposite side of town take an hour and I only get the $10.