The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Under OBR, when is a game a suspended game? Does a game have to be an official game before it can be a suspended game or can it be a suspended game in the third inning?
Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by His High Holiness
Quote:
Originally posted by Walter_Johnson
Under OBR, when is a game a suspended game? Does a game have to be an official game before it can be a suspended game or can it be a suspended game in the third inning?
You might want to try reading your rulebook before you post. The answers are very clearly contained in the book. But these answers might not do you any good for the vast majority of amateur baseball. Each league has its own suspended game rules and they may, or more likely, may not be in accordance with OBR even if OBR is their primary rules set.

To answer your specific question, you can have a suspended game in OBR in the third inning. For example, light failure or sprinkler system failure in the third inning will cause a suspended game in MLB.

Peter
Oh my God, Peter, did you accuse the poster of not knowing a rule; or apparently even worse, of not reading the rule?

For shame.
Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 02:55pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Walter Johnson may not have a rule book.
He may just be a regular person attempting to better enjoy the game and be hoping to find an answer.

mick
Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Walter Johnson may not have a rule book.
He may just be a regular person attempting to better enjoy the game and be hoping to find an answer.

mick
Exactly!
Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 05:10pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
A called regulation game is suspended when called due to:
league time limit, curfew, weather (when the visitor is ahead or tied and the home team hasn’t batted), electrical problem, mechanical problems, darkness.

A non-regulation game is suspended due to darkness, electrical or mechanical problems. If the non-regulation game is not suspended (due to above reasons), then it is replayed.

mick
Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 06:23pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmmmm!!!
Thanks for the introduction to, "The Official Forum."

My question was stated rather simply, so that I might garner a better understanding of this rule, figuring someone might jump in that would be willing to exchange questions...
My confusion came this summer when an umpire called a game after 2 and 1/2 innings because of weather. The visiting team (owning a 3-0 lead) asked if the game was a suspended game. The umpire replied, "No, it has to be a regulation game before it can be suspended."
This is American Legion baseball played under OBR with suspended games.
Was the umpire correct? If so why?

Thanks
Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 06:37pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Hmmmmm!!!
Thanks for the introduction to, "The Official Forum."

My question was stated rather simply, so that I might garner a better understanding of this rule, figuring someone might jump in that would be willing to exchange questions...
My confusion came this summer when an umpire called a game after 2 and 1/2 innings because of weather. The visiting team (owning a 3-0 lead) asked if the game was a suspended game. The umpire replied, "No, it has to be a regulation game before it can be suspended."
This is American Legion baseball played under OBR with suspended games.
Was the umpire correct? If so why?

Thanks
Yes, the umpire was correct based on the game being non-regulation and being called due to reasons other than darkness, electrical or mechanical. American Legion is NL rules.
  • A non-regulation game is suspended due to darkness, electrical or mechanical problems. If the non-regulation game is not suspended (due to above reasons), then it is replayed.

Welcome to the forum and keep posting, Walter.
    mick

Old Mon Aug 30, 2004, 06:38pm
    Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

The answer was really in one of the posts:

At the American Legion Western Regionals and the American Legion World Series all weather related games were handle by the suspended game rule.

Because the tournament needed to determine a winner the games would have been suspneded and restarted at that point at a later time.

HOWEVER, during the American Legion season each league can use the rules that they incorporate.

In my area of Oregon we also played the suspended game rules for all league games. Non-League games were normally just canceled.

So Walter, while I do not think this answers your question, the ultimate answer is, "areas" handle things differently.

(As the ultimate example in my area of Oregon all American Legion games are played under National Federation rules, are seven innings games and allow re-entry. That is NOT what American Legion rules are).

Tee