The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 17, 2016, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Rookie

So I love to referee Basketball, Lacrosse and wheelchair Basketball. Some friends convinced me to try Little League Football and this Saturday I have my first 9th grade LL game.

Any advice will be greatly and humble appreciated...

Old Wed Aug 17, 2016, 12:21pm
TODO: creative title here

You've got a solid foundation of officiating experience, so I'll concentrate on what's different from the sports you mentioned.

1) Unlike basketball (and, I assume, lacrosse)... you don't want to have the whistle in your mouth all the time when the ball is live... there's (almost) never a situation where you're going to need to stop a play in progress. Spit it out at the snap, and put it back in when you need to blow it to signal the ball dead.

2) There's no such thing as a late flag. (That's not entirely true, of course, but since live-ball fouls don't get enforced until after the play ends anyway, you can throw a flag 2-3 seconds after a foul occurs without any concern. In fact, in some situations it's better to wait those 2-3 seconds to let players clear out before your flag comes flying in).
Old Wed Aug 17, 2016, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
You've got a solid foundation of officiating experience, so I'll concentrate on what's different from the sports you mentioned.

1) Unlike basketball (and, I assume, lacrosse)... you don't want to have the whistle in your mouth all the time when the ball is live... there's (almost) never a situation where you're going to need to stop a play in progress. Spit it out at the snap, and put it back in when you need to blow it to signal the ball dead.

2) There's no such thing as a late flag. (That's not entirely true, of course, but since live-ball fouls don't get enforced until after the play ends anyway, you can throw a flag 2-3 seconds after a foul occurs without any concern. In fact, in some situations it's better to wait those 2-3 seconds to let players clear out before your flag comes flying in).
Thanks man

Anyone have advice on the most obvious plays you get as a linesman that I should watch for?
Old Wed Aug 17, 2016, 02:55pm
TODO: creative title here

Been awhile since I've worked LOS... but...

Stay on the sideline while the play is in progress... don't wander out on to the field. Keep your sideline clear of spectators, coaches, and subs.

If the play goes away from you, watch for troublemakers on behind/away from the ball. If the play goes toward you, watch the blocks at the point of attack.

When the play comes towards your sideline... back up. Directly backwards if you're on the goal line, otherwise in the direction of the offensive backfield. The only time you want to be ahead of the runner in this situation is if you need to be on the goal line.

Pre-game with your LOS partner about how strict you want to be on formation fouls... nobody wants to see you throw 17 illegal formation or offside flags.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2016, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jTheUmp View Post
Been awhile since I've worked LOS... but...

Stay on the sideline while the play is in progress... don't wander out on to the field. Keep your sideline clear of spectators, coaches, and subs.

If the play goes away from you, watch for troublemakers on behind/away from the ball. If the play goes toward you, watch the blocks at the point of attack.

When the play comes towards your sideline... back up. Directly backwards if you're on the goal line, otherwise in the direction of the offensive backfield. The only time you want to be ahead of the runner in this situation is if you need to be on the goal line.

Pre-game with your LOS partner about how strict you want to be on formation fouls... nobody wants to see you throw 17 illegal formation or offside flags.
Thanks again man its nice having some feedback.
Old Wed Aug 17, 2016, 07:38pm
Chain of Fools

Develop your pre snap routine and repeat every down.

Get your team count, probably defense, 11 every play.
Anybody come off your sideline, anybody come on?
ID your widest receiver, is he a back, is he an end? What's his #?
Is your end "covered"?
Who is your tackle? What's his number?
4 in the backfield/7 on the line? Signal your opposite partner.
Watch the LOS. Anybody flinch, anybody jump, snapper twitch the ball?
SNAP
Cover the play.
Spot or mirror spot.
Repeat

Never let a player behind you without knowing where he went and what he did.
Old Thu Aug 18, 2016, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Develop your pre snap routine and repeat every down.

Get your team count, probably defense, 11 every play.
Anybody come off your sideline, anybody come on?
ID your widest receiver, is he a back, is he an end? What's his #?
Is your end "covered"?
Who is your tackle? What's his number?
4 in the backfield/7 on the line? Signal your opposite partner.
Watch the LOS. Anybody flinch, anybody jump, snapper twitch the ball?
SNAP
Cover the play.
Spot or mirror spot.
Repeat

Never let a player behind you without knowing where he went and what he did.
This list was something I really wanted. Thanks man!
Old Thu Aug 18, 2016, 11:11am
Archaic Power Monger

There is tons of advice I could give but you being an official already will give you a good idea of how to carry yourself on the field. I will emphasize that just like in basketball, our job does not stop when the play is over. Dead ball officiating is just as important in football.

Another thing that travels over well from basketball is not being a ball hawk. You need to have a general awareness of where the ball is but you need to ensure you're focusing on your area so that things don't get missed. This is especially true if you're cleaning up a play from behind. Don't focus on the ball carrier, focus on all of the players trailing the play. That's when the cheapshots happen.

Lastly, the whistle should never actually kill the play, only announce that it is already over. The point behind that is: Do not blow your whistle until you know the ball is dead. If you see a runner down but have no idea if he has the ball in his possession, don't blow it dead. It may be loose and bouncing around. You will want to use the whistle to protect the players and that's fine to a point but even young kids seem to have a good understanding when the play is over. Don't be too quick to blow the whistle.

I don't want to overwhelm you with information so if you want to know more, keep asking! And welcome to the prolate spheroid game.
Old Thu Aug 18, 2016, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

I have enjoyed your comments on the basketball forum and appreciate them here too.

No that is really good. I want as much as I can get until told to bug off.

Some of my pee wee games this weekend have 2 ref slots or 3 so I am more nervous my coverage areas and calls that need to be made will be overwhelming.

Looking forward to watching a Varsity game tomorrow and hopefully will give me a feel for general play to play responsibilities and movements...

Any more things would be helpful!
Old Thu Aug 18, 2016, 12:41pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
Looking forward to watching a Varsity game tomorrow
If the R allows, see if you can sit in on pre-game and stay on the sideline during the game. Shadow the HL with the chains.
Old Thu Aug 18, 2016, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If the R allows, see if you can sit in on pre-game and stay on the sideline during the game. Shadow the HL with the chains.
Can we run with him or should we just walk catch up and mirror him from the side lines?
Old Thu Aug 18, 2016, 04:03pm
Archaic Power Monger

Working games with two is tough. Thankfully with the younger ages it is easier. I really don't recommend it for a JV game.

In those cases, make sure you're keeping your view wide and look for the major things.

As far as non-safety fouls like holding, a pretty standard philosophy with those is make sure they have an impact on the play before you throw on it. A hold on the opposite side of the field from a sweep play? Let that go.

Safety fouls like the 15 yard facemask, clipping, etc. Get those always, especially well behind the play.

Just like officiating any other sport, this comes with time and repetition. I'm going into my 10th season this year and I was fortunate to have this forum and others when I started out. You will pick up a lot just reading through old threads here, I know that helped me tremendously.
Old Thu Aug 18, 2016, 09:48pm
Chain of Fools

Probably not room to run and you should not be in complete uniform if you do it. Just walk along with the chain crew.
Old Fri Aug 19, 2016, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree...and think there should be more of that /\ going on for introductory officials in all sports, where pertinent.
Old Mon Aug 22, 2016, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

The rookie is back to report about his first day as a football linesman.

The young adult who had done 6 of the lat 7 years LL showed up 5 minutes before game time in grey shorts and was doing his first time at the R position. The other gentleman appeared to have a few years under his belt and struggled helping the R with his duties, the chain crew and helping this rookie. And too boot the score keeper was new and was stopping the clock too much. And we had a tiny basketball score clock in the endzone which was difficult to see.

I learned a lot. Had a blast and have more questions then answers.

It is very challenging for me to not raise my hand when a play is dead. And when to kill the clock and when to let it run. You would think that would be simple but it so different then basketball and lax its going to be a challenge.

Freshman game they were really good at only have 4 backs. Youth they had a wing back and had 5 many times and I couldnt pull the trigger because that wing back was kinda close to the line so do I see him as a back or lineman...

Counting 7 on the line... do I need to move a little to have the angle to count that? Was challenging.

If a d-lines head is in the neutral zone is that my call...

I think I saw for sure 2 pushes in the back the entire day.. didnt call either. Never saw a clip. Saw a facemask...

Ive got to get used to defining what is illegal and legal. And how to cover WR vs Running backs.

Over all it was a great experience and I shall be back soon with questions to help me improve.

Thanks for everything.