The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 09, 2016, 04:19pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu4scott View Post
The official in the jacket was telling the asst. coach to get back where he belongs.

As an alternate offical I don't think that's his job to interact with coaches in that capacity.
The coach started the entire confrontation by telling him what he should do in relationship with the other coach. If the coach stays in his lane this never starts in the first place.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 10, 2016, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

We can agree to disagree. I think if the alternate official doesn't overstep his role then the situation wouldn't have happened.
Old Wed Aug 10, 2016, 10:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
We can agree to disagree. I think if the alternate official doesn't overstep his role then the situation wouldn't have happened.
I do not even know what we are agreeing to disagree for. We saw part of the video and a coach curing at a guy.

Also I do not know what levels you work or understand, but that person if an alternate (we still do not know) has very direct responsibilities and I saw not a single thing that would suggest that what he was doing before the coach went off he was outside of his role.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 10, 2016, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Let's say that he is an alternate official.

At the collegiate level part of his responsibilites is interacting with coaches and enforcing sideline infractions? I work HS so I'm asking this because I do not know.
Old Wed Aug 10, 2016, 01:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Let's say that he is an alternate official.

At the collegiate level part of his responsibilites is interacting with coaches and enforcing sideline infractions? I work HS so I'm asking this because I do not know.
Part of his responsibility is to interact with the crew on certain situations and sometimes deal with the coaches for specific communication as well. He was confronted by the coach and I see nothing wrong with him telling him what his job is there to do, which he did. Then the coach got all froggy and tried to tell him what he has to let the crew do, which first of all is not his job to tell anyone what they can or cannot do associated with the crew.

Also we was not enforcing a rule, he was interacting with the crew. That is likely why he is there and probably is charting plays, which kind of requires you to interact with the crew. And he had a clipboard in his hand which tells me he was charting something. The coach was completely out of line. But the "official" allowed himself to get baited into that confrontation as well.

Peace
Old Sat Aug 13, 2016, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Part of his responsibility is to interact with the crew on certain situations and sometimes deal with the coaches for specific communication as well. He was confronted by the coach and I see nothing wrong with him telling him what his job is there to do, which he did. Then the coach got all froggy and tried to tell him what he has to let the crew do, which first of all is not his job to tell anyone what they can or cannot do associated with the crew.

Also we was not enforcing a rule, he was interacting with the crew. That is likely why he is there and probably is charting plays, which kind of requires you to interact with the crew. And he had a clipboard in his hand which tells me he was charting something. The coach was completely out of line. But the "official" allowed himself to get baited into that confrontation as well.

Peace
I'm having a hard time seeing where you're coming from here, Jeff.

The first video is pretty damn clear. alternate official (AO)/penalty charter (PC) was inserting himself as sideline management or a a get back coach. If I were the L, I'd have been telling the AO/PC to STFU and let me do my job long before it got to that. The fact that the coach called him out for not being on the same page as the L and things quickly escalated from there doesn't excuse the behavior or the AO/PC. He escalated the situation. He being the first to make it personal verbally. He being the one to make the first physical contact. He being the one to throw the first punch. He being the one to throw his clipboard at the coach.

If I'm a coordinator of officials in a NCAA conference or a HS administrator, he doesn't work again.
Old Sat Aug 13, 2016, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

It's really NOT a complicated arrangement, For whatever PRIMARY reason a Game Official is on the sideline, he also has an obligation (as an adult) to ignore the emotions of the situation and maintain the DESIGNED safety (rules & procedures) for EVERYONE on that sideline.

Coaches (including Head coaches) have a completely different function, but are also adults, and although subject to a higher level of emotional involvement are EXPECTED & REQUIRED to adhere to established guidelines. Game situations often dictate unanticipated emotional responses that necessitate REMINDERS (hopefully gentle) to regain appropriate composure, when it may have been temporarily misplaced.

There is NO reasonable expectation that such reminders be continual, and should always be constructive and civil. However, as suggestions BETWEEN ADULTS they are EXPECTED to be taken positively and quickly and quietly followed. There is NO LEGITIMATE REASON for discussion, debate or argument (at that moment). Should complaint EVER be necessary, it should be registered AFTER the contest AWAY from the field of play, through appropriate, designated channels.

Recipients, of gentle, constructive and civil reminders are not required to agree with them, but they ARE REQUIRED TO COMPLY, regardless of whether they agree.

The objective of sideline safety rules is not flags and penalties, it is SIDELINE SAFETY (protecting players, officials & coaches), which is BEST maintained with occasional (constructive and civil) reminders that generate appropriate AND IMMEDIATE compliance, which AVOIDS the necessity of flags and penalties.

In short, gentlemen, when you're reminded to step back, SHUT UP and step back (and allow the "beat" to go on). Otherwise, you embarrass yourselves, and more importantly, the game we are all PRIVILEGED to participate in.
Old Sun Aug 14, 2016, 10:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideTheStripe View Post
I'm having a hard time seeing where you're coming from here, Jeff.

The first video is pretty damn clear. alternate official (AO)/penalty charter (PC) was inserting himself as sideline management or a a get back coach. If I were the L, I'd have been telling the AO/PC to STFU and let me do my job long before it got to that. The fact that the coach called him out for not being on the same page as the L and things quickly escalated from there doesn't excuse the behavior or the AO/PC. He escalated the situation. He being the first to make it personal verbally. He being the one to make the first physical contact. He being the one to throw the first punch. He being the one to throw his clipboard at the coach.
For one I have no idea what the conflict was over. So it seems like there is an assumption of what was said or done before the video started. Obviously there was something going on before the video showed their interaction to me. Secondly, chain crews often tell coaches to move back or to move out of the way and they are also considered to be apart of the officiating crew. So this position that he could not say something to anyone on the sideline IMO is stupid. I also disagree with "who started it" because if you had words with me, it is not your right to run up on my and invade my space. Sorry, when you do that, you have turned this into something else and if I was an official and that was done, I would have actions to prevent that from happening again or at least be penalized. You do not have the right to try to intimidate someone with your presence. And that is why IMO the coach got suspended not one, but two games. That is a big penalty for that individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideTheStripe View Post
If I'm a coordinator of officials in a NCAA conference or a HS administrator, he doesn't work again.
That is fine, but not part of my discussions here. I would still want some clarification of the entire story, not just what happen on the video. And I am sure there was more to this story and in some cased might penalize the official that was allowing other actions if reported.

Peace