The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 27, 2016, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Pebble Watch

Does anyone use the Pebble Watch, or another kind of smartwatch, to time games?
Old Sun May 01, 2016, 05:43pm
Small Business Owner

Thumbs down Most officials have other priorities during a game!

I haven't observed a big demand to make and receive
E-Mail, Texts, Phone calls, download music or surf the web during contests.

You might try peddling your crap elsewhere!
Old Sun May 01, 2016, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWH View Post
I haven't observed a big demand to make and receive
E-Mail, Texts, Phone calls, download music or surf the web during contests.

You might try peddling your crap elsewhere!
I really don't appreciate your stupid comment telling me to peddle my crap elsewhere. I was excited to see that someone had commented. But then I clicked to view your reply and it's just a bunch of nonsense. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about when it comes to watches. Next time if you don't understand something just skip it instead of making a stupid comment.

Here is a Pebble application that can run a game clock and play clock at the same time. Seems very useful on the field. https://apps.getpebble.com/en_US/app...tion=watchapps

Here's one for Soccer. https://apps.getpebble.com/en_US/app...tion=watchapps
Old Mon May 02, 2016, 11:35am
Archaic Power Monger

That's an interesting app. It could definitely be useful but as usual with technology like that, I'm afraid of it getting broken on the field.
Old Mon May 02, 2016, 05:34pm
Chain of Fools

I'm working a youth 7v7 league this spring, sponsored by one of our local HS coaches. We run two games each hour going from each 40 yl in. The coach keeps the time but somebody else has to keep score. After realizing on Day 1 that nobody was, I started using a scoreboard app on my mobile. Other than it ate up my battery life, it was useful.

I'm a linesman so I don't need to worry about timing much but I can see where some apps would be useful. Like Welpe, I would fear battery use or apps crashing in the middle of a game.
Old Mon May 09, 2016, 08:55pm
Official Forum Member

I just bought the Pebble watch and it arrived today. I also officiate soccer and I'm going to try it out in the game tomorrow.

The football timing application is great. It's by far the best play clock timer that I've ever seen. It vibrates at 15 seconds, 10 seconds, 5 seconds, and at zero. It does a different vibration pattern each time so I guess you will eventually get used to telling them apart.

If you press the play clock button again the clock resets. There is no need to do several button presses in case you need to reset it before the clock has run all the way down and rest itself.

On top of all that it also has the game clock on the same screen. The bottom button stops and starts the game clock while the top button controls the play clock. If the game clock is stopped you can even add time back on to the clock.

I woudn't worry about battery life with the Pebble watches. The screen E-ink, which is the kind of screen that a Kindle uses. It's not a normal touchscreen like you would find on Android Wear or an Apple Watch. This allows it to have a battery life of 6 or 7 days.

I am concerned that the application could crash though. I'm actually going to use the football application in my soccer game tomorrow. I like it better than the soccer timers that I have tried.