Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 01:08am
I Bleed Crimson

Fumble ?!

A buddy forwarded me this link that he found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRxhkcPeOmA

Nice tackle!
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 02:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Saw this a lot last week. Not sure if it was posted here previously.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 08:12am
Official Forum Member

What I can't figure out is why was the U all the way out the numbers on a screen pass?
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 09:26am
TODO: creative title here

Well, the ball was snapped on the near hash, which is only 25ish feet from the top of the numbers (I don't know the exact dimensions off the top of my head).

Assuming he's lined up shaded away from the R (or shaded away from the strength of the offensive formation), he's probably a couple of steps towards the numbers to start with.

Depending on how he reads his keys, moving out to the sideline might be his best option (if it's setting up as a middle screen, which it looks like it might've).

I mean, yeah, it's not the ideal place for the U to end up, but I can see how it could happen. Unfortunately, he happened to be in the exact wrong place, but that happens to every U on occasion.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAUMP View Post
What I can't figure out is why was the U all the way out the numbers on a screen pass?
Stuff happens, the U appears to have been shading to the short side in his set up, and got caught in the flow, reacting to what appears to be a reaction by the runner to cut back inside, he moved further out to get out of the way. The runner changed direction and ran into THE BIG GUY IN THE STRIPED SHIRT, which was HIS bad decision.

Sometimes when you're in the middle of a demolition derby, even a slight difference between zigging and zagging can be significant. Moral of the story, AVOID big guys in striped shirts (who took the hit well).

Last edited by ajmc; Thu Dec 17, 2015 at 10:32am.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 10:43am
Do not give a damn!!

I think the U thought he was going to cut inside of him. Actually I am trying to figure out why the runner did not figure out to run inside either. It was not like the U was hard to see. He got hit like he did not even know he was there.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
Moral of the story, AVOID big guys in striped shirts (who took the hit well).
He not only took the hit well, but he executed near perfectly one of the ball-stripping techniques I coach: using the elbow!
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I think the U thought he was going to cut inside of him. Actually I am trying to figure out why the runner did not figure out to run inside either. It was not like the U was hard to see. He got hit like he did not even know he was there.
You get into a mind set where all your focus is on persons wearing a particular color.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

I guess I didn't phrase my earlier question correctly. I was taught that the U (which I work) should move to the line when reading pass. Until/unless you read a screen pass. Then you treat it like a run and stand your ground till the receiver moves past you. However, in the video it appears that the U is moving more to his right than to the line. If he held his original position, he probably wouldn't have been in the way. Just my thoughts.
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 02:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
You get into a mind set where all your focus is on persons wearing a particular color.
I do understand that to a point, but this is a pretty big guy. Hard to miss I would think, unless you do not have very good vision as a runner or player.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 03:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I guess I didn't phrase my earlier question correctly. I was taught that the U (which I work) should move to the line when reading pass. Until/unless you read a screen pass. Then you treat it like a run and stand your ground till the receiver moves past you. However, in the video it appears that the U is moving more to his right than to the line. If he held his original position, he probably wouldn't have been in the way. Just my thoughts.
I think the umpire just tried to move where he would not be in the middle of the play and he happened to be big enough that he did not get knocked down. Most of the time the player knocks us down and in this case he was big enough that the runner took the blunt of the contact. We have seen this many times, it just does not happen with that result very often if ever.

Peace
Old Thu Dec 17, 2015, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

I'd be inclined to give the Umpire credit for a "solo", but definitely an "assist".
Old Fri Dec 18, 2015, 09:32am
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
What you were taught is the same thing I've been taught; however, there are situations where standing still is the worst possible option. And, depending on play developments that we don't see because they're outside of the camera's focus, this could very well have been one of those situations.

Or the U just panicked... which also happens occasionally, especially to inexperienced Umpires.