The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 15, 2015, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS: When Does a Kick Try End?

NFHS Rules - When does the ball become dead on a kick try?

This seems like a fairly straightforward question. Rule 8-3-2b states:

Quote:
...The try begins when the ball is marked ready for play. It ends when: [...] b. It is apparent a drop kick or place kick will not score.
The reason I ask this question is because in a game last week, during the try, the kick was blocked at the line and went straight up in the air. While the ball was in the air, I blew my whistle to kill the play. After the try, my R stated that I shouldn't have killed the play because team A/K could've still caught the kick and ran it in for a 2-point conversion.

IMO, since the kick was blocked and went straight up in the air, it was apparent that the kick would not score. I could even recite the text of rule 8-3-2b from memory. But I decided to look in the Case Book to see if there was anything to support my interpretation. Case 8.3.2 SITUATION B mentions a very similar play:

Quote:
8.3.2 SITUATION B:During a try by place-kick, the kick by K1 is blocked by R1 and recovered by K2, who advances across R's goal line.

RULING: The try is unsuccessful. The try and down ended when the attempted place kick was blocked and it was obvious the kick would not score. The covering official should sound his whistle immediately when it is apparent the kick will not score. (4-2-2i)
This Case Book situation is so close to the situation that happened in my game with the exception of one single word: "recovered". "Recovered" is different than "caught". To paraphrase, a "recovery" is gaining possession of the ball after it has touched the ground, while a "catch" is gaining possession of the ball while it is in the air. Both words are defined in Rule 2.
  • Recovery: 2-36-1
  • Catch: 2-4-1

I wasn't able to find any other references that mentioned a player from team K catching the kick and converting it into a run for 2 points.

So can a blocked kick be caught by K during a try and ran in for 2 points? Should I have given K a chance to catch the kick? Or was I correct to blow it dead?

I'm interested to hear your opinions.
Old Thu Oct 15, 2015, 01:02pm
Get away from me, Steve.

You were correct.

Once the ball is kicked, it either scores or it doesn't.
Old Thu Oct 15, 2015, 01:09pm
NFHS Official

If it is caught and the kick never crossed the line of scrimmage, could it be advanced?
Old Thu Oct 15, 2015, 01:38pm
Chain of Fools

It is apparent a drop kick or place kick will not score.
Old Thu Oct 15, 2015, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

It is apparent a drop kick or place kick will not score.

Adding gravy over the frosting but....

8.3.2 SITUATION B: During a try by place-kick, the kick by K1 is blocked by R1 and recovered by K2, who advances across R’s goal line.

RULING: The try is unsuccessful. The try and down ended when the attempted place kick was blocked and it was obvious the kick would not score.

The covering official should sound his whistle immediately when it is apparent the kick will not score. (4-2-2i)
Old Thu Oct 15, 2015, 02:41pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
Adding gravy over the frosting

Ewwww. Lemme guess, you put slaw on your BBQ sammich too?
Old Thu Oct 15, 2015, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all the replies. It's nice to feel vindicated (if that's the correct word). I may never work with this white hat again, and if I did I wouldn't bring this matter up. I just wanted some reassurance from fellow football officials that I was interpreting that rule correctly.
Old Thu Oct 15, 2015, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
As a fellow zebra from NC, I've gotta say, I luuuuv me some slaw on my BBQ sammiches!

"Adding gravy over the frosting"...can't say I've heard that one before, but it does provoke some pretty gross images.
Old Thu Oct 15, 2015, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

When the try was made a scrimmage play (it wasn't always), the intention was that it'd be just that: a single try (attempt) to score. Once a kick was made, no other attempt to score was allowed. So if you're convinced no wind powerful enough to push that sucker over the bar is coming, the ball's dead.
Old Fri Oct 16, 2015, 08:03am
Official & ***** Member

[QUOTE=PocketSidewalk;968004 I may never work with this white hat again, and if I did I wouldn't bring this matter up.[/QUOTE]

I would try to (nicely) let the WH know about the case play, so he can learn from this.
Old Fri Oct 16, 2015, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

That whitehat needs to only work Fridays, or learn the difference between Saturday/Sunday rules and Friday rules.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Oct 16, 2015, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
My wife does....I add hot sauce.
Old Sun Oct 18, 2015, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
That whitehat needs to only work Fridays, or learn the difference between Saturday/Sunday rules and Friday rules.
Agreed. One of the first things I learned in sub-HS ball was that a kicked try should be blown dead the moment a kick was made. That is because in HS ball, the only thing that can happen once a kick is made is that the kick either scores or doesn't. If A or B recovers, the ball cannot be advanced play is dead. If the ball falls onto the field or OOB or somewhere else without meeting the requirements of a score, it's a missed attempt and cannot be advanced. If the ball is a scored attempt, it cannot be advanced. So in all cases, once the ball is kicked on a try, that's the last thing that can happen to it. It takes no effort to watch a try sail through or past the goalposts, and (at least in Vegas) it was considered safer to end action as soon as possible than to allow a play that could do nothing to develop.

Might have something to do with the fact that the officials in Vegas thought that SoCal coaches are considered unhinged lunatics who will look for any opportunity to start a fight. They're probably right.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2015, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchamp View Post
Agreed. One of the first things I learned in sub-HS ball was that a kicked try should be blown dead the moment a kick was made. That is because in HS ball, the only thing that can happen once a kick is made is that the kick either scores or doesn't. If A or B recovers, the ball cannot be advanced play is dead. If the ball falls onto the field or OOB or somewhere else without meeting the requirements of a score, it's a missed attempt and cannot be advanced. If the ball is a scored attempt, it cannot be advanced. So in all cases, once the ball is kicked on a try, that's the last thing that can happen to it. It takes no effort to watch a try sail through or past the goalposts, and (at least in Vegas) it was considered safer to end action as soon as possible than to allow a play that could do nothing to develop.
ISTR this as common practice everywhere until NCAA legalized 2-way scoring. There's only 1 case in which I can see this making a difference, and that's where a B player in the end zone hears it & foregoes a chance to goaltend on a kick that's soft & drops barely over the bar. Can anyone here clarify for me whether such a flight qualifies as a "low scrimmage kick" that a player of R is allowed to bat? Even in that case, if you see there's no player of B back there, a quick whistle is harmless.
Old Mon Oct 19, 2015, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
ISTR this as common practice everywhere until NCAA legalized 2-way scoring. There's only 1 case in which I can see this making a difference, and that's where a B player in the end zone hears it & foregoes a chance to goaltend on a kick that's soft & drops barely over the bar. Can anyone here clarify for me whether such a flight qualifies as a "low scrimmage kick" that a player of R is allowed to bat? Even in that case, if you see there's no player of B back there, a quick whistle is harmless.
NFHS 9-7-2 indicates, "No player shall bat a loose ball other than a pass or fumble in flight, or a low scrimmage kick in flight which he is attempting to block in or behind the expanded neutral zone."