The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 01, 2015, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Penalty enforcement punt from EZ

Football is not my area of expertise, so I don't know if the officials got this one right, but I figured I'd ask. Here's the question...

"Explain this one. Blocked punt from the endzone. Punter got hit during the block. Ball recovered by defense in the endzone. Personal foul was called (for the hit on the punter) and ball was given back to the punting team and placed at the 35 yd line."

Is this correct for NFHS rules?
Old Tue Sep 01, 2015, 11:13pm
TODO: creative title here

Insufficient information.

Did the player who blocked the kick contact the punter, or was it another player who roughed the punter?
Where was the snap from?

If the R player blocked the kick before roughing the punter, no foul should've been called.

If an R player other than the one who blocked the kick roughed the punter, then a foul is the correct call. Since the result of the play was a touchdown for R, the 15-yard penalty would be enforced from the previous spot. If the previous spot was the 20-yard-line, this would result in first and 10 for A at the 35, as apparently happened in your situation.
Old Wed Sep 02, 2015, 07:58am
NFHS Official

I have a hard time seeing roughing the punter on a blocked kick.
Old Wed Sep 02, 2015, 08:14am
Get away from me, Steve.

If someone other than the person that blocked the kick hits him, it's possible.....or if it's flagrant....but I've never had it happen.
Old Wed Sep 02, 2015, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Sounds FUBAR'd to me!
Old Wed Sep 02, 2015, 11:06am
Official & ***** Member

I won't speculate on the quality of the call, but Roughing The Kicker is penalized 15 yards from the previous spot, plus Automatic First Down.
Old Wed Sep 02, 2015, 11:14am
Official Forum Member

Even if the guy that blocked the kick hit the kicker it could be roughing. If the R felt like he contacted the kicker and it was avoidable he could still call Roughing the Kicker and that would be 15 from previous spot and Automatic First Down. He has a giant pair if he does this! Kudos!
Old Wed Sep 02, 2015, 03:25pm
Chain of Fools

Had one do that to me once. It was not a very pleasant time on my sideline for a while after that
Old Wed Sep 02, 2015, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Had one do that to me once. It was not a very pleasant time on my sideline for a while after that
I've been trying to figure out why the punter would have been been in the endzone if the ball was snapped from the 20 yard line (since as stated the penalty would be enforced from the previous spot meaning the new series would start at the 35 yard line). I'm wondering if the previous spot was the 5 yard line, so following the roughing the kicker call, the ball would have been moved to the 20 and then to the 35 after the USC foul on R's head coach for going ballistic as HL in NC has seemingly experienced up close.
Old Wed Sep 02, 2015, 04:22pm
Archaic Power Monger

Maybe the crew ruled a touchback and then tacked on the 15 yard personal foul from that (not likely but I've seen some awful enforcements before).
Old Wed Sep 02, 2015, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
Even if the guy that blocked the kick hit the kicker it could be roughing. If the R felt like he contacted the kicker and it was avoidable he could still call Roughing the Kicker and that would be 15 from previous spot and Automatic First Down. He has a giant pair if he does this! Kudos!
Yikes. I agree with bigjohn here. This is correct but very unlikely to happen. Touching the kick doesn't give the R player free reign to hit the kicker.
Old Thu Sep 03, 2015, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner View Post
I've been trying to figure out why the punter would have been been in the endzone if the ball was snapped from the 20 yard line (since as stated the penalty would be enforced from the previous spot meaning the new series would start at the 35 yard line). I'm wondering if the previous spot was the 5 yard line, so following the roughing the kicker call, the ball would have been moved to the 20 and then to the 35 after the USC foul on R's head coach for going ballistic as HL in NC has seemingly experienced up close.
The original poster never said where the punter was either.
Old Fri Sep 04, 2015, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
The original poster never said where the punter was either.
True, he never directly stated the location of the punter, but the title of the thread is Penalty enforcement punt from EZ and in the original post he said "Blocked punt from the endzone". I assessed this to mean the punter was the player kicking the ball, he was in the endzone and that is where the block and subsequent contact occurred.

Did I come to a bad conclusion?