The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 17, 2015, 09:59pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Would you stop the game to correct the electronic game clock if you noticed it was incorrect and the snap was eminent or let play continue and correct it afterward? If yes, why is the down box different?
Because it is easily correctable after a subsequent play. The game clock isn't.
Old Tue Aug 18, 2015, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Would you stop the game to correct the electronic game clock if you noticed it was incorrect and the snap was eminent or let play continue and correct it afterward? If yes, why is the down box different?
I've done plenty of games where the down was incorrect for a play here or play there up top when the clock / SB operator spilled is 7-up or dropped his hot dog up in the booth or is trying to do double duty with stats or ?? and we don't shut everything down for that either. How many times have you seen 2nd and 10 on the board and its really 2nd and 4? Do you kill it for that correction too? Not a chance.

We're talking about what is typically a one or two time occurrence, at most, in a game. Typically a lower level game, to boot. And you can almost guarantee whatever team is on offense is going to go bonkers when you're shutting everything down to fix a down marker after you just announced and visualized it at mid-field for both teams, when that staff thinks they may have the defense tired out and on their heels. Just my 2 cents, but why borrow trouble here?
Old Tue Aug 18, 2015, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Heat View Post
I've done plenty of games where the down was incorrect for a play here or play there up top when the clock / SB operator spilled is 7-up or dropped his hot dog up in the booth or is trying to do double duty with stats or ?? and we don't shut everything down for that either. How many times have you seen 2nd and 10 on the board and its really 2nd and 4? Do you kill it for that correction too? Not a chance.

We're talking about what is typically a one or two time occurrence, at most, in a game. Typically a lower level game, to boot. And you can almost guarantee whatever team is on offense is going to go bonkers when you're shutting everything down to fix a down marker after you just announced and visualized it at mid-field for both teams, when that staff thinks they may have the defense tired out and on their heels. Just my 2 cents, but why borrow trouble here?
Agree with this
Old Wed Aug 19, 2015, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
No reason to disturb the rhythm of the game, stop the play clock, have the down box changed, and then reset all of it for something that can be fixed after the fact, UNLESS it matters at the time (box says 3rd down, it's 4th down, team doesn't send its punt team out, etc.).
Is it really necessary to reset the play clock? You can't just hold it? I could understand resetting if players said they were confused about the down, but not otherwise. Actually I can't see stopping play at all unless they're confused, but stopping & resetting would be worse than merely stopping.
Old Wed Aug 19, 2015, 01:08pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Is it really necessary to reset the play clock? You can't just hold it?
Yes. Anytime the officials shut things down to deal with something, it is a timeout.
Old Wed Aug 19, 2015, 04:23pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Is it really necessary to reset the play clock? You can't just hold it? I could understand resetting if players said they were confused about the down, but not otherwise. Actually I can't see stopping play at all unless they're confused, but stopping & resetting would be worse than merely stopping.
If I stop it, it's reset to 25 seconds. There's no provision that allows me to resume it. It's one big reason I'm loathe to stop it, ESPECIALLY if the game clock is running.
Old Fri Aug 21, 2015, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

http://ohsaafb.com/files/2015/08/201...ifications.pdf

Page 38, *5.1.1 SITUATION A:
What procedure is used to correct an
error if it is discovered: (a) a fifth
down has been run; or (b) A has not
been given its allotted four downs?
RULING: In both cases, the number
of the next down can be corrected by
the referee until prior to the ball
becoming live after a new series of
downs is awarded. In (a), play will
revert to where it was before the fifth
down was run if it was determined
before prior to the ball becoming live
after a new series of downs was
awarded. In (b), the referee can
declare the proper next down provided
prior to the ball becoming live after
a new series of downs has not been
awarded. …
Old Sat Aug 22, 2015, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
If I stop it, it's reset to 25 seconds. There's no provision that allows me to resume it. It's one big reason I'm loathe to stop it, ESPECIALLY if the game clock is running.
So it couldn't even be done informally, like, "Oops, hold it a sec, flip the down box...OK, carry on."? You know, like the way some other things are administered where the rule book might say one thing but...?

I could understand if team A's captain said, "Oh, it's that down. Sir, we need another huddle." And then you reset. Or if they'd started their man in motion, or similar cause of your messing up their timing. But if they don't, who would even notice the play clock?
Old Mon Aug 24, 2015, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoaster View Post
Would appreciate it if I could get the states that you're from and what your state rules interpreters are saying about this one issue: A down played with the wrong number on the box. Also, even if we're trying to get the box changed by signaling the HL, if it looks like the snap is eminent we are supposed to shut it down if we think it won't be changed in time. Kill the clock even though we all know the box needs to be changed. Needless to say a large number of us think these ideas are silly, and not supported by th rules, NFHS interpretations or case plays.
Quote:
Imminent.