The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 03:30am
Official Forum Member

Two plays I never thought I would see

It has been quite a year for me.

I had a team intentionally attempt a kickoff via drop-kick. They warned us they might try it as part of their game plan to always on-side kick.

Then tonight I had two forward passes during a down. I was unsure if the first one was forward so I bean-bagged the spot, but after checking with my side guy he confirmed it was forward.
I think the play was designed for the first pass to be further down field so the second pass would have been backward but the first pass took the receiver too far back so his "pitch man" ended up in front of him and his toss went forward.

Definitely some wacky stuff, nothing to discuss, just thought I would share with the group.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

We had a coach try a version of the fumblerooskie this past Friday and they also tried to perform a double pass in the same game, but wideout was tackled before he could get #2 off.

And keep in mind, this is after we asked at PGC if there were any plays "razzle-dazzle by design that we should watch for or you want us to be aware of..." and he was told on both accounts that they were illegal when he said he may pull those out of the hat.

Let the record show....both plays happened with running clock from Q1 forward with said team down at least 45 points when performed...oh, and a level 1 playoff game.

I wish I was making this up.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturno View Post
We had a coach try a version of the fumblerooskie this past Friday and they also tried to perform a double pass in the same game, but wideout was tackled before he could get #2 off.

And keep in mind, this is after we asked at PGC if there were any plays "razzle-dazzle by design that we should watch for or you want us to be aware of..." and he was told on both accounts that they were illegal when he said he may pull those out of the hat.

Let the record show....both plays happened with running clock from Q1 forward with said team down at least 45 points when performed...oh, and a level 1 playoff game.

I wish I was making this up.
Why is a double pass illegal? As long as the first "pass" is not forward, isn't the second pass (The one forward pass) legal?
Old Tue Oct 28, 2014, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
Why is a double pass illegal? As long as the first "pass" is not forward, isn't the second pass (The one forward pass) legal?
Double pass - meaning 2 forward passes. I'm an old-schooler using term lateral in any backwards pass. My bad on clarity.

Yes, one would have to be a lateral to be legal as you have it stated. And you could technically go forward pass on the first one provided any and all subsequent "passes" are laterals afterward.

Last edited by Sturno; Tue Oct 28, 2014 at 03:32pm.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2014, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not if he is past the LOS.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2014, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonLJ View Post
....and that.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2014, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonLJ View Post
I figured that would be obvious.

I'm talking about the quarterback immediately throwing a backwards pass to a receiver, then that receiver (While behind the LOS), throws a forward pass to another receiver.
Old Thu Oct 30, 2014, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I figured that would be obvious.

I'm talking about the quarterback immediately throwing a backwards pass to a receiver, then that receiver (While behind the LOS), throws a forward pass to another receiver.
Why the badgering... he already said, "Double pass - meaning 2 forward passes. I'm an old-schooler using term lateral in any backwards pass. My bad on clarity."

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Aug 24, 2015, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

2 Forward Passes

Passer takes snap from center attempts a pass that was batted back to him by B defender and catches the pass rolls to his right and throws for a completion. So I have seem the 2 forward passes as well.
Old Mon Aug 24, 2015, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Funny that 2 forward passes would be thought to be such a rare play, when it wasn't long ago in Fed that it was legal. The batted back-2nd pass scenario's not that uncommon either. Passing to a wideout who then throws a forward pass is not all that uncommon either, and it's often a very close call as to whether the 1st pass is forward -- in fact a major point of deception of the play is to confuse the opponents as to whether the 1st pass was forward, now that 2 forward passes is illegal.
Old Tue Aug 25, 2015, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Don't have my book with me but I don't believe a drop-kick is legal for a KO is it? You can score with a drop-kick but KO.
Old Tue Aug 25, 2015, 09:42am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG UMP View Post
Don't have my book with me but I don't believe a drop-kick is legal for a KO is it? You can score with a drop-kick but KO.
It is legal.

2-24-5

"A kickoff is a free kick which puts the ball in play...A place kick or a drop kick shall be used for the kickoff."
Old Tue Aug 25, 2015, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Excellent, didn't realize that.
Old Tue Aug 25, 2015, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Canadian football requires a place kick for kicking off. Rugby Union now requires a drop kick. I think it's still a place kick in Rugby League.

NFHS undertook an initiative to harmonize its free kick rules that culminated in the late 1970s, so that there were very few differences remaining between the provisions for different types of free kicks; only the kickoff was the odd one in not being allowed to score a goal & not being allowed to be a punt. A few years later they started differentiating the rules regarding different types of free kicks again. These things go in cycles.