The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 16, 2003, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Talking

All;

I was doing a game played under NCAA rules and the following situation occurred. In NCAA, there is no problem but afterwards, I got to thinking about what would have happened if this had been a game played under OBR and a crafty manager was involved. You know, like Billy Martin or Earl Weaver.

So let's assume OBR. Visitors are winning 6-4.

It was the 7th inning of a nine inning game (no runs have been scored by either team since the 4th inning) and I was the plate umpire. The weather was threatening but there was no lightning or thunder. Between innings, I consulted with the base umpire and we looked around at the sky. The trees surrounding the field blocked our view of the horizen.

Having lived in the midwest for 5 years, I knew something very bad was about to happen. The air was too still. I ordered the field cleared. The players were puzzled but they complied. Within a couple of minutes a mini-tornado was upon us and blew across the middle of the field dumping debris everywhere. (The trash and branches could have easily been cleaned up in five minutes.) An upside down wheel barrow was picked up by the wind and flipped right side up as if it were ready for use.

Things cleared for a minute or so and then a bolt of lightning knocked out the lights to the field. One of the light poles was smoking even though they all have lightning rods. In my mind, I knew the game was over at this point but then a torrential downpour started, which completely flooded the field.

Question: Did this game end because of equipment failure or weather? Is this a judgement on my part which cannot be protested? Can I say that it ended for weather even though the equipment failure came first?

If you are reading the above and don't understand why all these questions are important, shame on you. Go study your OBR book.

For the record, I ruled that it ended for weather reasons. Under the league rules, it does not matter why it ended so it was no big deal, but I got to thinking what a Billy Martin could have done with this scenario in the bigs.

Peter
Old Mon Jun 16, 2003, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Triple H, You obviously postponed the game for weather - your concern for lightning. And by the way, excellent job. Even though it may have seemed unusual for some, you probably saved someone's life.

Weather, all the way. It was the weather that caused the equipment failure. we could go on but that is probably 'nuff said.

Obviously, very well placed caution.
Old Mon Jun 16, 2003, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by His High Holiness

Question: Did this game end because of equipment failure or weather? Is this a judgement on my part which cannot be protested? Can I say that it ended for weather even though the equipment failure came first?
I seem to recall a similar play in NAPBL, but I forget the actual ruling -- because it never matters in the leagues I work.

Old Mon Jun 16, 2003, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

hey, man. the proximate cause of the lights going out was the weather. had the weather not been inclimate, the lights probably would have been fine.

if the weather was clear and no concerns and the lights went out, then you have equipment failure.

cool?
Old Mon Jun 16, 2003, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Pete,
You didn't see that lightning flash?

Depending on the circumstances, Billy was going with you!

By the way, it didn't matter why you called the game; Billy was heading for Lindell's AC in any case.

Jerry
Old Mon Jun 16, 2003, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Pete,
I don't think you got my reply.

'Twas: "You didn't see that lightning?"

And . . . Billy would have agreed with you in any case. And headed over to Lindell's AC to argue about it.

Jerry
Old Mon Jun 16, 2003, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

I'd pick the weather. I believe OBR even "suggests" that weather reasons be given precedence when making this decision.

Old Tue Jun 17, 2003, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Actually Billy probably would have thanked you for getting him to the watering hole early and Earl, well he would have complained had nothing happened at all.