Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 04:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Assignment Commissioner ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
We have a commissioner who assigns ...
Same here. My local board has been out of the assigning "business" for as long as I've been a member of the board, well over thirty years. We hire an assignment commissioner who does all the assigning. He's our "go between" between the schools (athletic directors), and our members (officials). If we like the job he does, our executive committee rehires him for the next year, if not, it's "hit the road Jack" (his name's not really Jack), and we hire someone new. It's only a one year contract.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jul 27, 2015 at 05:08pm.
Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The association I commute to work for does a decent job with training, a very solid job on rules study, and has started using video.
I was surprised it took 12 posts before the word "video" appeared. That would be my one thing; hire a videographer (or the commissioner) to film select games, then make X number of video review meetings per season mandatory for purposes of assignment currency. Or something like that. We need to encourage more video review. A few plays once per year at a clinic or camp isn't going to cut it. Start getting HS officials accustomed with breakdown and their percentages. When they notice that their NCI percentage is 60% when they think it's 90%, hopefully they ask, "why didn't I get that right," or "why wasn't I in position to see that play?"

My second item would be camaraderie. Getting the group together on a Friday night after games at a bar and grill goes a long way to building unity.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Start getting HS officials accustomed with breakdown and their percentages. When they notice that their NCI percentage is 60% when they think it's 90%, hopefully they ask, "why didn't I get that right," or "why wasn't I in position to see that play?"
You're being optimistic. Many of them will disagree they got it wrong or were in the wrong spot.
Old Tue Jul 28, 2015, 11:59am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Same here. My local board has been out of the assigning "business" for as long as I've been a member of the board, well over thirty years. We hire an assignment commissioner who does all the assigning. He's our "go between" between the schools (athletic directors), and our members (officials). If we like the job he does, our executive committee rehires him for the next year, if not, it's "hit the road Jack" (his name's not really Jack), and we hire someone new. It's only a one year contract.
Two associations I belong to have an elected commissioner.
Old Thu Jul 30, 2015, 06:11am
This IS My Social Life

Thank You

"The Main Thing is that the Main Thing is the Main Thing" in any local officials' association. That's the title of a presentation I've been asked to develop to give tomorrow. Your responses have helped me identify perspectives that I had not realized prior to asking. Thank you for your responses.