The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 12, 2013, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Is there ever just too much of a little thing?

We were talking the other night after reffing a couple of games with some of our "favorite" local coaches. OUr association only has 8 officials for an area that covers 6 high schools, ms's and all the minor systems that feed them. So luckily we get to work with the same people alot to get a working relationship.

Both the coaches in question seem like good guys but both intense. One who trys to run his medium sized high school team like a university team without the talent, the other who's kids play hard but are at best phsyical on everyplay and at worst dirty.

In one case you've got kids trying to do things and execute physical skills and actions they are incapable of, in the other the team is purposefully at the edge of the rules all night. Now neither coach ever really complains about fouls that we call (though inronically both are asking for travels on just about every possesion the other team has).

So when both these teams play or worse play each other. it is always the same calls and over and over. Sorry to ramble but we're coming up to a point.

In a game when you've got a team that holds cutters, or sets illegal screens or boxouts shooters as or before they are landing illegally but will consistently and constantly do it regardless of the number of fouls you call or you talk to them about it, what do you do?

Obviously you don't stop calling the fouls. But is there a point where you and your partner see that they are clearly violating the rule, and the coach is making no attempt to correct their behaviour that you stop calling regular fouls and start warning the players or coaches and call intentionals/technicals.

Again nothing excessive on each play is happening, but that same violation is happening repeatedly without remorse or intent to change? Thanks!

FYI the guys i our association have taken to jsut calling what they see and knowing its probably going to happen but jsut fouling out kids if need be and having a zero tolerance policy for complaints by coaches or players in these situations.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Sat Jan 12, 2013, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherdreams View Post
In a game when you've got a team that holds cutters, or sets illegal screens or boxouts shooters as or before they are landing illegally but will consistently and constantly do it regardless of the number of fouls you call or you talk to them about it, what do you do?
Keep calling the fouls. Eventually the players will be replaced. Then keep calling them on the replacements if they continue the illegal actions.

Quote:
Obviously you don't stop calling the fouls. But is there a point where you and your partner see that they are clearly violating the rule, and the coach is making no attempt to correct their behaviour that you stop calling regular fouls and start warning the players or coaches and call intentionals/technicals.
No rule support for that except the intentional if you truly think it meets the definition of intentional. Don't get outside the rules. Just because the coaches/players don't adjust, doesn't mean you have to.

Quote:
the guys i our association have taken to jsut calling what they see and knowing its probably going to happen but jsut fouling out kids if need be and having a zero tolerance policy for complaints by coaches or players in these situations.
I agree that is the way to handle it. The players want to play and if they keep fouling out, that is anti-productive. Hopefully the coaches will realize that as well. Good luck.
Old Sat Jan 12, 2013, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I let them do it 5 times.