The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 26, 2015, 08:01am
This IS My Social Life

The Main Thing?

If your local officials' association was charged with prioritizing one thing, one activity, one responsibility -- one most important thing on which to focus -- what would that be?
Old Sun Jul 26, 2015, 10:13am
Esteemed Forum Member

Easy Answer ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
If your local officials' association was charged with prioritizing one thing, one activity, one responsibility -- one most important thing on which to focus -- what would that be?
Education. The education of new officials, and the continuing education of veteran officials.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jul 26, 2015, 10:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Training.

Peace
Old Sun Jul 26, 2015, 10:57pm
AremRed

Getting members to pay their dues for next year.
Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 04:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not really possible since it is responsible for training/education, distributing assignments, collecting money from the schools, and passing it along to the officials. Leave out any one of those jobs and it breaks badly.
Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 07:13am
Courageous When Prudent

Training is suffering greatly where I live.
Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 07:38am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Training is suffering greatly where I live.
Is that supposed to be "the main thing" in your association?
Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well, that's pretty easy. If we don't assign officials to games, we cease to function.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 08:34am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Quote:
Is that supposed to be "the main thing" in your association?
I guess I'm lost as to the point of this thread. We have a commissioner who assigns and negotiates contracts. We have an executive board that runs meetings and gets info out to its members. What's not done very well here locally is training, continuous improvement, of high school officials.

When you don't train, you put an increasingly inferior product on the floor. Where I live (I commute to my main HS board), the 2 local boards have a pretty sh!tty reputation for the products they're putting out. A local conference actually hired an out-of-town association to do its games this season.

So, to me, training needs to be the thing that is prioritized.

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Jul 27, 2015 at 08:40am.
Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What's not done very well here locally is training, continuous improvement, of high school officials ...

When you don't train, you put an increasingly inferior product on the floor...

So, to me, training needs to be the thing that is prioritized ...
Ditto here.
Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 09:53am
beware big brother

Quote:

What's not done very well here locally is training, continuous improvement, of high school officials.

So, to me, training needs to be the thing that is prioritized.

In a utopian world, these would be perfect statements. In reality, at least where I work, they are just worthless sentiments. There are more games than there are competent officials, especially on Friday nights. A good percentage of officials care about getting better and doing things the right way. Unfortunately, there is also a high percentage of officials that do not care and will not get better no matter how much training is available to them, but they will still get games because there isn't another competent official to take their place. Assignors and associations are stuck with these guys and they know it. Conferences and leagues can switch assignors if they like. They might see some new guys or a different mix of guys, but it is inevitable they are going to still get guys that don't belong on a game. Making training a priority is a fruitless endeavor. It takes a lot of work by a select few, with very little tangible benefit for the group as a whole. In fact, the whole idea of having associations seems pointless. In my experience, I get more out of the interactions I have with the select group of officials, that have goals and aspirations similar to mine, than I ever have participating in any of the associations I have belonged to.
Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 12:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
In a utopian world, these would be perfect statements. In reality, at least where I work, they are just worthless sentiments. There are more games than there are competent officials, especially on Friday nights. A good percentage of officials care about getting better and doing things the right way. Unfortunately, there is also a high percentage of officials that do not care and will not get better no matter how much training is available to them, but they will still get games because there isn't another competent official to take their place. Assignors and associations are stuck with these guys and they know it. Conferences and leagues can switch assignors if they like. They might see some new guys or a different mix of guys, but it is inevitable they are going to still get guys that don't belong on a game. Making training a priority is a fruitless endeavor. It takes a lot of work by a select few, with very little tangible benefit for the group as a whole. In fact, the whole idea of having associations seems pointless. In my experience, I get more out of the interactions I have with the select group of officials, that have goals and aspirations similar to mine, than I ever have participating in any of the associations I have belonged to.
The association I commute to work for does a decent job with training, a very solid job on rules study, and has started using video. And not coincidentally, they were recruited by 2 separate conferences to bid for contracts. They said "no thanks" to one conference, and won the contract for the other.

They also have quite a few officials with whom I enjoy interacting. So I would not say it is fruitless to build an ambitious organization that knows how to do things right.

There is a local association I refuse to work for because their work ethic and professionalism is nowhere near my standards. One of our very esteemed forum members works for that group, and he is so heads-and-shoulders above every other member of that organization it is ridiculous.
Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 12:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
I would disagree with this statement primarily, only because there are associations that are doing a better job in our area than others to train official. And there is a reason in basketball and even football where the State Final officials are coming from in our area of Northern Illinois. So training has worked with many associations. Are there still people working that you could make a case are not top notch? Sure, but that is always going to be the case in high school sports. But that still does not mean you cannot do things to help train your officials in your association. I know I belong to both Football and Basketball Associations that raised the level of training and it has helped many officials get to another level either in high school and college. And in each of those associations, you have people that will never do the work or "get it" not matter how much you teach and train. All you can do is put it in front of them and go from there.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I would disagree with this statement primarily, only because there are associations that are doing a better job in our area than others to train official. And there is a reason in basketball and even football where the State Final officials are coming from in our area of Northern Illinois. So training has worked with many associations. Are there still people working that you could make a case are not top notch? Sure, but that is always going to be the case in high school sports. But that still does not mean you cannot do things to help train your officials in your association. I know I belong to both Football and Basketball Associations that raised the level of training and it has helped many officials get to another level either in high school and college. And in each of those associations, you have people that will never do the work or "get it" not matter how much you teach and train. All you can do is put it in front of them and go from there.

Peace
There are givers and takers in this world. You, at least in the context of sports (don't know you well enough to make a broader claim), are a giver...wanting to help others whether they will realized the benefit or not. Others are takers, the ones who have no genuine interest in helping others improve and/or move up but are only/mostly interested in how any endeavor will help themselves. Like most places in life, more givers is a good thing. Takers, not so much.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Jul 27, 2015 at 03:15pm.
Old Mon Jul 27, 2015, 02:50pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
Ditto here.
Wow, that hurts! Didn't you just get an awesome observation from somebody on the board recently???