The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 17, 2015, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Seems like most officials will more or less realize a $10/game raise. Still not great, except when you look at it from a percentage increase standpoint in which case it's pretty good. This is a step in the right direction.

However, still believe a BB payscale, such as it is, encourages too much 2-person. If I'm a principal, I can save $30 per game, and besides the officials who are strictly money-oriented (and unfortunately many are) will prefer a 2-person game check. Sigh.
Old Mon Jul 20, 2015, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Just for comparison, in North Dakota, our fees are:

Class A Basketball (18 min halves): Varsity $73.50 - JV $40.50
Class B Basketball (8 min quarters): Varsity $71.50 - JV $40.50

**Rates are the same whether it is 2 or 3 person crews. Nearly all varsity games are 3 person crews.

Football Varsity: $77 - 5 person crews
Football JV: $50.50 - 4 person crews

All the rates went up for the next 2 seasons. They were basically $2-$3 less per game from 2013-2015.
Old Mon Jul 20, 2015, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington View Post

**Rates are the same whether it is 2 or 3 person crews. Nearly all varsity games are 3 person crews.

Football Varsity: $77 - 5 person crews
Football JV: $50.50 - 4 person crews

All the rates went up for the next 2 seasons. They were basically $2-$3 less per game from 2013-2015.
That differential from JV to V is huge. It must be tough keeping enough guys on board to do the JV games with such a pay difference.
Old Mon Jul 20, 2015, 05:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That differential from JV to V is huge. It must be tough keeping enough guys on board to do the JV games with such a pay difference.
I like the big gap. It encourages people to strive to advance to the varsity level.
My local area has the opposite problem. With only a $7 difference and often the varsity refs only getting a single game, there are several people who prefer the "easy" and low-key frosh & JV games, plus being home at a reasonable time for dinner, to the varsity work. The pay gap isn't enough to make them want to move up.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Jul 21, 2015 at 11:28am.
Old Mon Jul 20, 2015, 07:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington View Post

Rich and I talked about this earlier this year, but the way in which low supply and high demand for officials increases game fees is fascinating. Not so much because of supply and demand itself, but because these high game fees tend to exist in parts of the country with the lowest per capita household incomes. Why? Because there are so many rural school districts, each with their own varsity teams. Big urban schools or small rural ones, they all get the same number of games.

If you want lots of opportunity and you like to get paid handsomely, the far upper Midwest and Great Plains are where to move. I don't know about the intermountain West, but I imagine it's not too bad out there, either.
Old Mon Jul 20, 2015, 10:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

We're Number One ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
... high game fees tend to exist in parts of the country with the lowest per capita household incomes.
Connecticut game fees for 2015-2016: Varsity Fee: $94.63; Sub Varsity Fee: $61.39

2014 Per Capita Personal Income: State Rank #1 Connecticut ($60,658)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jul 20, 2015 at 10:32pm.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2015, 07:16am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I like the big gap. It encourages people to strive to advance to the varsity level.
My local area has the opposite problem. With only a $7 difference and often the varsity refs only getting a single game, there are several people who prefer the "easy" and low-key frosh & JV games, plus being home at a reasonable time for dinner to the varsity work. The pay gap isn't enough to make them want to move up.
We agree completely on this. I assign for 22 schools and each school has their stable of officials who have (1) been doing this for years and (2) have no desire to work varsity games. Close to home, early start time.

People think I'm joking when I say I think they should raise the varsity rates and leave the JV rates alone, but I'm completely serious.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2015, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
We agree completely on this. I assign for 22 schools and each school has their stable of officials who have (1) been doing this for years and (2) have no desire to work varsity games. Close to home, early start time.

People think I'm joking when I say I think they should raise the varsity rates and leave the JV rates alone, but I'm completely serious.
I think a gap is a good idea too, but the size of that gap above is more than I think is reasonable.

There are a lot of people that will never be Varsity capable officials. Our toughest set of games to cover is the Freshman/JV set due to the number of them and the time of day (most are at 5:45 with some at 4:00). We need numbers of officials just to get those covered. Lower pay just doesn't do it and it makes the assignors job very difficult.

As a Varsity official, I wouldn't really be interested in helping cover the lower level games if the pay that poorly. I don't do it for the money, but I also don't do it for peanuts.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Jul 21, 2015 at 11:34am.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2015, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Connecticut game fees for 2015-2016: Varsity Fee: $94.63; Sub Varsity Fee: $61.39

2014 Per Capita Personal Income: State Rank #1 Connecticut ($60,658)
Touché! There are exceptions to every rule. Yes, the urban Northeast isn't too bad when it comes to rates. I remember when I was in Rhode Island the killing those officials made, especially considering the less-then-motivated job they did. I hear officials in the NYC metro make heaps of cash, too. But then again it must be all that much harder to advance in an area with lots of registered officials.

Quote:
I think a gap is a good idea too, but the size of that gap above is more than I think is reasonable.
Maybe not for you, but perhaps it works in other areas. The gap is really determined by local factors.

Quote:
There are a lot of people that will never be Varsity capable officials.
And I'm never going to be an Admiral, but that doesn't mean I have the right to be paid like one.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2015, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

There are a lot of people that will never be Varsity capable officials. Our toughest set of games to cover is the Freshman/JV set due to the number of them and the time of day (most are at 5:45 with some at 4:00). We need numbers of officials just to get those covered. Lower pay just doesn't do it and it makes the assignors job very difficult.
That isn't a problem due to the difference in pay between sub-varsity and varsity. What you have is a problem caused by the amount offered at the sub-varsity level. Apparently, people in your area feel it is too low.
The bottom number could be raised in order to attract more frosh & JV officials for afternoon games while at the same time maintaining the same gap with the varsity pay.
For example, if you currently have $40 (sub) & $70 (Varsity) changing to $50 & $80 (keeping a flat $30 gap) or $50 & $87.50 (keeping the 1.75 ratio) are both legitimate ways of addressing your issue. Of course, your area would need to convince the schools to spend more to fix the problem. Nothing demonstrates to schools more clearly that there is a lack of officials than not having any for some contests and informing the schools that they will have to provide their own personnel for those games.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2015, 12:07pm
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Touché! There are exceptions to every rule. Yes, the urban Northeast isn't too bad when it comes to rates. I remember when I was in Rhode Island the killing those officials made...
Ask Billy where Connecticut ranks in terms of cost of living...for that matter all of the Northeast including NYC. I've lived in the Hartford, Boston and Orlando metros. I contend that my $55 varsity fee in Florida is a better rate than $94 in CT & Mass. or $100+ in NYC
Old Tue Jul 21, 2015, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

To bring this discussion back to Louisiana officials, I would like some additional information on the tiered pay structure. The new schedule has three categories, each with its own game fee.
Please post the rationale for this system as opposed to one rate for all officials working any particular level.
Please post the particulars for qualifying/advancing through the different levels.
Are there other states using this tiered pay system? What are your thoughts on it?
Old Tue Jul 21, 2015, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LouisianaDave
Nevada, there used to be 3 tiers, now its down to 2. Certified and approved.

The major difference is based on a test that is made up from the LHSAA office.

The 3 tiers were 70-79 Registered, 80-89 approved and 90-100 certifed.

Now its two being 70-84 registered and 85-90 certified.

I think the rationale is basically get in the rule book, learn the rules and you will be compensated. A few years ago, they implemented a meeting percentage requirement along with a mandatory camp that must be attended once every 2 years.

This was in response to making the officials better trained and more accountable in order to justify the raise that was given in 2010. But it was also in response to punish officials bc we didnt work one night during the season in response to them voting down the raise to begin with.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2015, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the quick response.
1. Do you mean 85-100 is Certified now?
2. I'm surprised that the classification is determined solely by a written test score and that there are other factors such as years of experience, a fitness test, or an evaluation of a game.
3. Under what conditions is your exam given?: online, open-book, etc.?

I'm asking for details because I wish to push for such a system here.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2015, 03:45pm
Get away from me, Steve.

It's despicable to pay HS officials different amounts for doing the same job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk