The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 11, 2015, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Here are the links to the Eddie Bonine interviews that LouisianaDave mentioned on Wednesday and Thursday

pt 1 (Wednesday)-http://cdn.stationcaster.com/stations/wnxx/media/mp3/Eddie_Bonine_07_08_15-1436361130.mp3

pt 2 (Thursday)-http://cdn.stationcaster.com/stations/wnxx/media/mp3/Morning_Drive_07_09_15-1436450465.mp3 (go to the 52 minute mark to hear Mr.Bonine's comments)

LouisianaDave-do you think there will be a fall season in LA this year? It looks fairly gloomy right now and I feel terrible for the senior student athletes but the principals are getting what they deserve if the strike does happen.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Sat Jul 11, 2015, 07:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
Live in my state. There is no set fee for game officials in any sport. The schools hire the officials themselves, or in some cases in the metro areas they are given to an assignor, however the schools can pay whatever they want. Currently the going rate for 2 high school games is $120 for two person mechanics. $90-$100 for 3 person.
Which is actually not that good. It was $90 for an OKC metro varsity DH back in 2008-09 (3-person). So now it's up all of ZERO dollars six years later. Meanwhile, just up north in the KCK metro, it's $140-$150 for a varsity DH (and often you only get a single, but I'm ok with $70 for a single game!).

But the OKC rate, while not great, still seems rich compared to LA. Shame on The Pelican State, and good for the LHSOA for standing up for itself.

Last edited by crosscountry55; Sat Jul 11, 2015 at 07:07pm.
Old Sat Jul 11, 2015, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Here's how I see this playing out: There will be games missed,it's up to the principals to determine how many.I see on that first day where no games are played several dozen angry parents marching on their principals offices saying just pay the money so our kids can play.The principals after a few days of not being able to get work done cause of this mess will say enough is enough and pay the proposed increases.Is Louisiana a pay to play state does anyone know? LouisianaDave will the meeting Sunday be available online anywhere?

Last edited by SCalScoreKeeper; Sat Jul 11, 2015 at 09:16pm.
Old Sat Jul 11, 2015, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
I see....several dozen angry parents marching on their principals offices saying just pay the money so our kids can play.
Love it! That puts the "it's all about the kids" platform right back squarely on the shoulders of the LHSAA and its director.

If it truly is all about the kids, I don't think a mid-year change to the constitution to give the officials their first raise in 20 years is too much to ask.

Anyone know if headquarters NFHS is watching this closely?
Old Sat Jul 11, 2015, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

The issue is primarily with the principals which I have no idea how they have a say in officiating rates.Here the section makes the rate schools pay we all live happily ever after.It would be interesting to know how closely if at all NFHS headquarters is watching this situation.

Last edited by SCalScoreKeeper; Sat Jul 11, 2015 at 09:59pm.
Old Mon Jul 13, 2015, 01:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
The issue is primarily with the principals which I have no idea how they have a say in officiating rates.Here the section makes the rate schools pay we all live happily ever after.It would be interesting to know how closely if at all NFHS headquarters is watching this situation.
I doubt the NF even cares about this as they have nothing to do with how officials are assigned or even the standards that officials have to live by overall. All the NF has any say over (and that is if the states care) are mechanics and rules of each game. Even if the NF takes a position, it is not going to change what happens here.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 13, 2015, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

A tentative agreement appears to have been reached.

Neither side is saying publicly what that agreement entails as of yet.
Old Tue Jul 14, 2015, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Do you think they got any compensation for this year?
Old Wed Jul 15, 2015, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefAHallic View Post
Basically because it says so in their handbook. That's why being able to sign contracts with the schools is important. It make us trully independent contractors. The LHSAA also uses the handbook to say they can only consider raises at their annual January meeting. Get to the January meet then raises are soundly rejected. So, Officials have to hope and wait whole year to get it before LHSAA again. A walk out of some type has been the only tactic to motivate the LHSAA to approve raises. It's the only card to play with the way things are set up.
You can put whatever you want in a handbook, it doesn't necessarily make it legal. I'm not a lawyer and am not trying to pass this off as anything other than lay opinion informed by a few minutes of googling, but this sounds like collective bargaining, not contract negotiations. This seems to fail multiple parts of the IRS guidelines for testing independent contractor status. Now who's going to challenge it, especially in light of a potential settlement? Who knows. But seems like LHSAA is in grave danger of being found to be an employer and there's a LOT of back pay, workers' comp, etc at risk.
Old Wed Jul 15, 2015, 09:40am
Do not give a damn!!

A lot of independent contractor laws are state laws and classifications too. I know that this would put this organization in big jeopardy if they were in my state. We had an organization that got popped for paying officials directly and not paying the proper taxes and benefits. I am also wondering about some level of price fixing as well considering that these are fees for the entire state. At least in my area a conference sets the fees and each conference can pay the same fee, but not every school in the state will pay the same for sure. I see a lot of problems with this arrangement and it will take the right person or group to go to court to possibly fight this out on some level.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 16, 2015, 11:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LouisianaDave
NV ref, I have a feeling that LHSOA leadership has drank the kool-aid. As you guys know they have a confidential agreement in place but neither side is giving out specifics. I believe that this was done to ensure football happens.

There was a statewide meeting held last night in new orleans that wasnt sparsely attended. Basically all we know know is that an agreement is in place, should be approved immediately by the executive council all before Football starts. When the council approves the raise is effective immediately. But the catch is that the principals will have to ultimately approve it in their January convention when they historically have vetoed every raise. If they veto it, then we go back to the money we are at now.

So in short Footbal and Volleyball will probably go on, but late january if the principals renege then Basketball, soccer, Wrestling, baseball and softball will have to unite.

LHSOA head confident agreement with LHSAA will be finalized | Sports | The Advocate — Baton Rouge, Louisiana

this is the latest article from last nights meeting

Last edited by LouisianaDave; Thu Jul 16, 2015 at 11:21am.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2015, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

This sounds like idiots negotiating with idiots.
Old Thu Jul 16, 2015, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

I'm betting unfortunately that we will be right back at this point next year.No one can force the principals to approve the agreement in January and they are the biggest problem
Old Thu Jul 16, 2015, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LouisianaDave
Agreement Reached Between Louisiana High School Officials and State Athletic Association - LHSOA

hot off the presses
Old Thu Jul 16, 2015, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

LouisianaDave-I am happy to admit that it looks like I was wrong.Hopefully the Principals will sign off on the raises and we will never see a day like this again.