The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 27, 2015, 05:15am
Back from the DL

Why Shouldn't We Backtrack?

I took up officiating lacrosse a couple of years ago, and I worked with one of our state's top officials recently.

One of the key areas of his critique had to do with handling a certain transition, and he said it was probably best to backtrack several steps in that scenario. I was in full-on basketball mode when I replied, "Wait, I can do that?"

"Yeah..." he replied, incredulously. "Why wouldn't you?"

I couldn't explain it. Suddenly, I'm having a hard time defending the anti-backtracking mentality in basketball. I simply bought into, "it just doesn't look good," and yet, not only is backtracking acceptable in other sports, but it's a key part of soccer physical tests.

Granted, basketball is a smaller playing surface, and the only time I've fallen during a basketball game is while backtracking. However, the only time I've fallen during a soccer game was running forward. (I tripped on an unexpected field incline. The visiting coach quickly told me to watch for snipers.)

Okay vets, help me out. Does anyone have anything deeper than just, "it doesn't look good"?
Old Wed May 27, 2015, 05:23am
Official Forum Member

I've found that those that tend to backpedal then to be also ball watching while doing so. In soccer (and I would assume lacrosse as well) where the referee is the main arbitrator (of course with assistance from his AR's), he's going to be watching the ball and the action around the ball most of the time...

As the new lead making the trail to lead transition, you aren't neccesarily going to be on ball...especially if you have a third. In addition, you can transition a lot more quickly to the baseline (yeah I said it) by turning and running and looking back rather than backpedaling.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed May 27, 2015, 07:24am
Courageous When Prudent

There is only one purpose for backpedaling in basketball, and that is to watch the ball (usually from a long distance). If there is something you need to watch, then stay and officiating it. When you are backpedaling you are moving away from what you are watching. Serves absolutely no purpose at all.

100% of all basketball officials I've seen backpedaling are ball-watching while doing it; looking a long way back up court to watch the ball while ignoring all the players in between.

What is done in one sport doesn't necessarily translate to another sport.
Old Wed May 27, 2015, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

I might add that when you are backpedalling in basketball you are (usually) close to the sideline -- and at risk of tripping over a coach. In Lacrosse (from what I've seen) you are more on the field -- and there's no one behind you.

Note that we do "back out" from C to T or as L from close-down to wide position -- and those are somewhat close to backpedalling.
Old Wed May 27, 2015, 09:14am
TODO: creative title here

Another thought: If I'm backpedaling and I trip, I'm probably gonna hit my head pretty hard on the floor. If I trip while running forward, I'm going to have a chance to break my fall.
Old Wed May 27, 2015, 09:28am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I took up officiating lacrosse a couple of years ago, and I worked with one of our state's top officials recently.

One of the key areas of his critique had to do with handling a certain transition, and he said it was probably best to backtrack several steps in that scenario. I was in full-on basketball mode when I replied, "Wait, I can do that?"

I couldn't explain it. Suddenly, I'm having a hard time defending the anti-backtracking mentality in basketball. I simply bought into, "it just doesn't look good," and yet, not only is backtracking acceptable in other sports, but it's a key part of soccer physical tests.

Granted, basketball is a smaller playing surface, and the only time I've fallen during a basketball game is while backtracking. However, the only time I've fallen during a soccer game was running forward. (I tripped on an unexpected field incline. The visiting coach quickly told me to watch for snipers.)

Okay vets, help me out. Does anyone have anything deeper than just, "it doesn't look good"?
Another thing, lacrosse and soccer have extended offensive possessions that can go back and forth for the length of the field. Basketball possessions end up being confined to a 42'/47' by 50' playing area. There is no back and forth that would cause an official to have to retreat and move forward constantly like you need to in lacrosse and soccer.
Old Wed May 27, 2015, 09:40am
Official & Member

Quote:
I personally watched a young official trip and fall backwards backpedalling during a youth game. He was about 17 at the time. He fractured bones in BOTH forearms trying to "break his fall" and was in casts for 8 weeks. Think about the things that you'd be limited from doing...it was a real bad summer for him. Think that's an extreme case? Maybe, but that was about 10 years ago and it was all I needed to understand why it's a bad idea. I just don't do it...regardless of how it looks or whether it's currently acceptable or not.

Last edited by Bad Zebra; Wed May 27, 2015 at 09:43am.
Old Wed May 27, 2015, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Another thing, lacrosse and soccer have extended offensive possessions that can go back and forth for the length of the field. Basketball possessions end up being confined to a 42'/47' by 50' playing area. There is no back and forth that would cause an official to have to retreat and move forward constantly like you need to in lacrosse and soccer.
Difficulty in baketball as others hav addressed is the likeliness of risk or injury by backpedaling. In field sports you are not at the edge of the field by coaches, benches and spectators. You are in teh middle of the field and following the ball relative to the position of play and players. Forward backward etc all forms of movement and space and place and can often be executed more safely.

In a gym you could hit a foot, a coach, a player, the wall much more easily. Also there is the immediacy. If you swallow your whistle in field sport because your off balance or gathering yourself the advantage ideas/ delay in calls can be expected or applied. In basketball if you don't call the double dribble or foul until 2-3 seconds after the play its a problem.

Finally I save all backtracking and packpedaling for dealing with the Mrs.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Wed May 27, 2015, 11:14am
Do not give a damn!!

Yeah, you could get hurt. You are not falling on grass or soft turf field in basketball. And I have known people to be carried off for falling and hitting their head or falling and breaking their wrist. That should be good enough to not do it.

As a football official and Back Judge, I have to back pedal all the time in that sport.

Peace
Old Wed May 27, 2015, 12:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

The major difference, as Jeff notes, is the danger from falling. it's one thing to fall on a turf or grass field. It's another to trip and fall on a hardwood floor or a brick wall or the corner of a wooden bleacher.

There are players cutting in front of us all the time, even as we run forward as fast as we can. Chances of getting cut off while running backwards, more slowly and blind, are even greater.

I'ts not that it doesn't look good, that's neither true nor relevant. It's dangerous and there's not nearly enough benefit for the risk. That's why veteran officials don't do it, which is why it's the sure sign the official is either a rookie or "that guy."

Additional note: I deleted the comments about an individual official. They weren't relevant to this discussion and it quickly devolved.

Last edited by Adam; Wed May 27, 2015 at 12:49pm. Reason: Adding moderator note
Old Wed May 27, 2015, 02:59pm
Back from the DL

Now that I think of it, another basketball veteran told me you can hurt your Achilles from backpedaling. Funny, I don't recall another sport's veteran mentioning that.

Still, I never considered ball-watching, and that's a good point. Thanks for the feedback.
Old Wed May 27, 2015, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

I would add this to the conversation:

I was always taught that I will see a play better if I'm not moving (my head/eyes being still). I move faster when I'm running forward than when I'm backpedaling -- thus I get to position quicker and I'm ready to receive the play coming towards me.
Old Wed May 27, 2015, 03:29pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSams View Post
I would add this to the conversation:

I was always taught that I will see a play better if I'm not moving (my head/eyes being still). I move faster when I'm running forward than when I'm backpedaling -- thus I get to position quicker and I'm ready to receive the play coming towards me.
I was going to mention that we should be receiving plays as the Lead, so we need to get in position to do such.
Old Mon Jun 01, 2015, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

It's bad on the knees......and it looks bad.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2015, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Wife's podiatrist made a point that backpedaling is very hard on Achilles tendon after she was diagnosed with achilles tendonosis. Personally I am ten times more likely to trip going backwards rather than forwards, regardless of the surface I am on.